What's new

Tripods

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I'm in the market for a tripod to add to my camera kit. I'm think of a good cheap one for my DSLR
What do you guys use? Anything functions that would be nice tho have or must have?

My old tripod that I took hunting with me, was really handy as you could strap it to a tree branch but is not fit to hold a heavy camera.

$20160917_130837.jpg

I just keep one of those collapseable things in my bag, folds up to about 3 inches. But I seldom grab it, there's always something to rest on.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Maybe I should say entry level not cheap. I don't want to spend $1000 + that some of the high end go for.
I just want to have the abllity to take some low light shots etc. I don't see it as getting a lot of action.
As a ball park say sub $150 mark.

The monfrottos look good.

I'm in the market for a tripod to add to my camera kit. I'm think of a good cheap one for my DSLR
What do you guys use? Anything functions that would be nice tho have or must have?

My old tripod that I took hunting with me, was really handy as you could strap it to a tree branch but is not fit to hold a heavy camera.

View attachment 689039

For my ipod i have one of those and a Joby GripTight Micro Stand. Would like to get an actual standing height, lightweight tripod to use with the ipod.

proxy.php

https://www.amazon.ca/Joby-JM2-01WW...70&sr=8-1&keywords=joby+griptight+micro+stand

dave

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
For my ipod i have one of those and a Joby GripTight Micro Stand. Would like to get an actual standing height, lightweight tripod to use with the ipod.

proxy.php

https://www.amazon.ca/Joby-JM2-01WW...70&sr=8-1&keywords=joby+griptight+micro+stand

dave

That's a nifty little holder for a ipod.
The little tripods weigh next to nothing but they are a compromise on where and how you can use them. With that said mine helped take some great shots strapping it to a tree and using the timer.

When you start to think tripods, there are 3 desirable variables; portability, stability and affordability. The old wisdom was that you could choose 2 of those. A more advanced tripod is not "one piece" but rather a head and a separate set of legs and investing money up front into your "ultimate tripod" is normally a good way to save. Most photographers have a collection of "previous" tripods at home. Don't forget the second hand market when shopping.

Aluminium legs are a good starting point and depending on your style of photography, maybe a ballhead or a 3-way head to mount on top of them. Take your camera and heaviest lens along when shopping- the tripod should be stable when holding that outfit and tapping the lens when the camera is mounted shouldn't give any shake at all. A good tripod is a joy to work with and can double up holding your spotting scope.

Good info above guys!
I decided to look at the second hand options when getting a tripod to keep the cost down, I picked up Gitzo Explorer G2220 for £50 about 18 months ago.

$gitzo2.jpg

I got it as 'multipurpose/does it all' sort of thing as I was just getting into photography more seriously and wasn't sure what direction I would head in, it's been great for everything so far, portrait, landscape, macro etc. Very versatile as the centre column tilts and the legs can fold right out so they are virutally parallel to the ground, so you can get the camera down real low.

Might be a bit large and heavy for some uses, like hiking maybe, but it's not overly weighty as it's aluminium and the head is magnesium, and I have carried it on a camera backpack with no problem, overall it's been a great purchase!

I also have a little Slik 450G that stays in my camera bag for times when I just go for a walk with the camera or have no plan on what to shoot, cost £5 used and it's a decent little thing with a fair amount of adjustment and pretty solid, it can hold my heavy D800 fine and I have got some nice macro shots using it, I do hook it to my camera bag to add some weight and stability though!

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
^ Wow, 50 Pounds for that was a great buy. Those things cost a mint new.

I sold all my heavy tripods when I sold most of my heavy cameras. Now I just have a little carbon fibre Manfrotto like this one. It holds up to 4kg, which is plenty for the camera/lenses I now use for my own stuff.

proxy.php

Last edited:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Thanks guys. I just had a look at some second hand tripods here in NZ but not much there today. I'll keep a eye open

Warren getting the Gitzo Explorer for £50 what a score.:thumbup1: I checked the prices new here and they are top dollar stuff.

David I think a 4kg max weight would work for me as well. There are plenty of Manfrotto tripods to select from here.

you dont want to trust a good camera to a cheap tripod.it is better to over do it and save your camers.
[FONT=&amp]Manfrotto Compact Advanced Aluminum Tripod
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/photography/buying-guide/10-recommended-tripods-photography

[/FONT]

When you start to think tripods, there are 3 desirable variables; portability, stability and affordability. The old wisdom was that you could choose 2 of those. A more advanced tripod is not "one piece" but rather a head and a separate set of legs and investing money up front into your "ultimate tripod" is normally a good way to save. Most photographers have a collection of "previous" tripods at home. Don't forget the second hand market when shopping.

Aluminium legs are a good starting point and depending on your style of photography, maybe a ballhead or a 3-way head to mount on top of them. Take your camera and heaviest lens along when shopping- the tripod should be stable when holding that outfit and tapping the lens when the camera is mounted shouldn't give any shake at all. A good tripod is a joy to work with and can double up holding your spotting scope.

^^+1!
great advice!

stability and vibration damping are key.
keep video applications in mind when selecting a head as well!
Happy hunting!

1. You buy a cheap tripod, you buy a second one. You buy another half-cheap tripod, you buy a third one. That's a fact.

2. Settle for a carbon-fibre tripod right away. They are considerably lighter, more durable and offer a lot more stability and resistance to shock and vibration than aluminium.

3. 4 kg for a tripod is excessive and totally unacceptable. You don't want to go on a tour with a 4 kg tripod on your back on top of your camera gear. When you travel, travel light. No more than 2 kg for a tripod with the head and bag.

4. Manfrotto isn't bad, but IMHO Sirui is better. Not as good as Gitzo, of course, but considerably cheaper.

5. Not only the tripod needs to be solid, but the head, too. Go for a ball head with pano lock, not for a 3D head.

My solution is a Sirui T-2204XL (1.35 kg) with a Sirui K-20X ball head (0.4 kg). With the travel bag (comes as a standard with the Sirui TXL series and is of a very good quality), that whole thing tips the scales at just under 2 kg. OK, the entire package cost me a little over 530 €, not exactly very cheap, but unless that tripod gets stolen, I'll probably never need to buy a new tripod in my life again. I can easily put any camera up to a 35-mm sensor DSLR with a heavy tele lens on that tripod and it won't move. Since I bought that tripod, I always take my tripod with me, even when I go by bike or hiking for a few hours.

I've always used the Slim U212 Deluxe (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...tml/?c3api=3679,bing,2764376399,1105202455833). I've owned two over the years (got out of photography, sold the first one). It's the most versatile pod I've ever seen. The pan/tilt head can be mounted on top or bottom of the center post...or on one of the legs. Each leg folds out and adjusts separately for stability on uneven surfaces. They can be had for $150 on B&M or Adorama...as little as $100 on the Bay. For a few bucks more (if you can find them...) you can add light sands to the legs and "snowshoes" to the feet for use in snow or mud.

The only downside is that it's a bit heavy. On my first (bought used), I taped foam pipe insulator to the top section of each leg for shoulder carry. My second shipped with a fitted bag, so I didn't need the foam.

^sirui's are great; but a solid, aluminum manfrotto at a half the price would be no slouch. albeit a bit heavier.

No, it isn't just "a bit heavier", it's significantly heavier if you want an aluminium tripod with the same load capacity, stability and shock resistance as a carbon-fibre model. The price is something to consider only once, at the purchase, whereas the trouble of the higher weight, which will eventually result in leaving the heavier tripod at home and buying a light carbon-fibre one anyway, becomes the photographer's companion whereever they decide to take their tripod with them. The crucial point is the weight factor, of course under consideration of the required stability and load capacity. Always pick the lightest possible solution when you need to be mobile, and most photographers, unless they work in a studio or have assistants to move their stuff for them, need to keep the weight of their gear low.

I'm not saying that Manfrotto tripods are bad, I'm just saying that Sirui tripods are lighter and more compact when it comes to tripods of comparable weight, pack size and stability. I've had my fair share of experience with Manfrotto, too, not just with Sirui, so I know quite well what I'm talking about. The price stings you only once, the weight and size of the cheaper tripod stings you each time you lift that bloody thing from the floor.

Last edited:
Top Bottom