What's new

Top 5 DE Confessions

1) I still prefer a mild razor - My AS-D2 is still at the top of my DE heap followed by my Gillette Blue Tip
2) I found a Gillette Fat Boy and used it... - Yes, it delivers a fine shave and feels good in the hand. So does my Gillette Slim. I find them equally good... Heresy! I just spoke heresy...
3) Every brush I've tried has made fine lather for me.
4) After losts of experimentation I settled on a soap provider and haven't changed in two years.
5) Most of my shaves are now done with a straight razor because they deliver a really mild, close shave. (Even milder than my AS-D2.

1) I have abandoned the dream of skillfully using a shavette.
2) I occasional splash on my favorite aftershaves when I haven't shaved.
3) I buy enough shaving supplies and gear for ten men plus their sons and grandsons.
4) I don't find it weird to watch other men shave on YouTube.
5) I may never stop searching for that perfect combination of blade, razor, and lather.

I have neither the money or desire to collect razors and soaps. I want that one razor and blade brand that gets the job done. I won't buy one soap until I'm almost done with the other.

I only own one shave brush, a synthetic, and I'm very happy with it.

I do like to take a whiff of my shave soap sometimes.

I still struggle at times getting the "perfect" lather.

I like to play some jazz while I shave.

I almost always get one weeper, even after 3 or 4 years of wet shaving.

Straights scare the crap out of me.

I have a very course beard and have been using a DE for about 4 months....

Still settling in on a favorite blade. Astras win so far but still have the feathers to try. Plan is to find what works and sticking.

Although I know that a BBS is the holy grail and may not be attainable with my beard but it remains my daily goal.

I shave in the shower but turn down the water to conserve while shaving

Although doing it less as my technique improves i have been known to do a touch up in my wife's magnified make up mirror with the back edge of my old fusion.

I'll likely continue to use my fusion when I travel for business

Hoping not to jinx anything but I haven't cut myself since my very first DE shave.

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
1. Shower shaving is quick, convenient and non messy
2. I can still save water when shaving in the shower
3. I need to down size the amount of AS's I own.
4. I am becoming a Minimalist more and more everyday.
5. No such thing as BBS.

1. New razors are better than vintage

2. Synthetic brushes are vastly, vastly superior to everything else

3. The term shave den makes my skin crawl

4. It would be beyond weird to me to attend any kind of shaving meet up or discuss shaving with people in person

5. The sensor excel was the best razor I’ve ever used

1. I have three small boxes of shave related stuff that doesn't work for me. I refuse to discard it but I won't PIF it 'cause I can't shake the feeling that I'll get use from it later.
  2. I comb my Chubby 1... OCD?
  3. Not for lack of trying, but, I can't make myself like old razors. No amount of history compensates for the absence of modern craftsmanship.
  4. Occasionally I just go to the bathroom and clean/organise my shave stuff.
  5. It's not at all wierd to discuss personal grooming with another bloke. Or is it?
On behalf of SWMBO: She thinks my Chubby 1 Super is scritchy. Yeah, I did an actually double take with the stupid facial expression and everything.

I fully agree with LL's #3, but then I also find other terms such as 3017ing, buffing and blooming (of soap) extremely cringeworthy too. There are probably others which my mind is more successfully managing to block out at the moment.

Ooo those are interesting, I don’t have a problem with buffing because it seems, to me, like a pretty fitting description of the action performed. I go years without logging into this site so I have no idea what 3017ing means.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
1. I went on a wet shaving cruise this year. I try not to tell people outside of the community about that.

2. I usually bin a DE blade after 1 or 2 shaves even though I can easily get 3 to 5 shaves from it.

3. I think Razorock soaps are awesome and have dozens of them. I have many more expensive and better regarded soaps, but like RR as good or better than most of them.

4. I travel a lot for business, sometime weeks at a time, and use Arko 95% of the time while traveling. Never ever use it at home.

5. I can't lather a cream from a tube. Tried several. Just can't get a good lather no matter how hard I try. Creams in the tub work fine.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Ooo those are interesting, I don’t have a problem with buffing because it seems, to me, like a pretty fitting description of the action performed. I go years without logging into this site so I have no idea what 3017ing means.

Nah! Buffing is done with soft fluffy things, not scrubbing with a sharpened blade, like you're trying to clean a BBQ of burnt on food.

3017ing is using a soap like a normal person would i.e. use one soap, and only move to another when the first one has run out. It's far too rational to warrant the use of normal words and therefore has to be given a numeric code to disguise the rationality in case other people start behaving normally too.

Where blooming of soap originates from, I've no idea. I kind of get it with brushes, when they open out like a flower - but when soap is "bloomed", it just gets wet.

Croap is a respiratory condition in children... or is that croup... either way, I don't want it anywhere near my face.

Nah! Buffing is done with soft fluffy things, not scrubbing with a sharpened blade, like you're trying to clean a BBQ of burnt on food.

3017ing is using a soap like a normal person would i.e. use one soap, and only move to another when the first one has run out. It's far too rational to warrant the use of normal words and therefore has to be given a numeric code to disguise the rationality in case other people start behaving normally too.

Where blooming of soap originates from, I've no idea. I kind of get it with brushes, when they open out like a flower - but when soap is "bloomed", it just gets wet.

Croap is a respiratory condition in children... or is that croup... either way, I don't want it anywhere near my face.

Ok but why the term 3017 for that?

Been DE shaving for around a year now and heres my 5 confessions,

1) I went to London to visit the Taylors of Old Bond Street shop in person (from Derby), bought the Sandlewood cream

2) I threw a puck of Portland soap away because I thought it was rubbish, later I realised I wasn't loading it correctly.

3) I share/split most of my shave products with a family member

4) I've been late to work on more than one occasion due to enjoying my shave

5) I buy products without 100% knowing what they're actually for at the time

Top Bottom