What's new

Top 5 DE Confessions

1) I hate straight razors. I started out with straights. I collected a few. I got good at honing and perfected my technique and then I tried a DE. Now I have one Parker Shavette that I use for making perfect lines when I have a beard and maybe for a single pass to knock down a weeks worth of growth. I get just as good shaves with a DE, its easier, blades are so cheap it's not a concern and I don't have to bother with stropping and honing.

2) I have zero old stuff. I don't get the nostalga part of wetshaving. I do this because I just want the best shave possibe and I feel I can do that with modern equipment that is easy to find and replace. I don't want to spend my time searching antique shops, flea markets and ebay for someone else's used stuff.

3) I have handles and cartridges for Trac II, Sensor Excel, Mach 3 Turbo, Fusion Proglide, Quattro Titanium, Hydro 5, some random Wilkinson 5 balde cart, and about a dozen random disposibles. I bring thrm out and try them every once in a while. I don't know why. I keep ending up with terrible shaves, bumps, razor burn and ingrown hairs but I still really want it to work. Although I do keep a Hydro in my gym bag with some brushless cream for emergency shaves as well as the Sensor for when I fly carry on only.

4) I skip the wtg pass on my head and go straight to xtg and atg and I get BBS every time. If it is 24 hours or less since my last shave I will skip the wtg on my face too.

5) I chase BBS obsessivley. Sometimes it's just not going to happen but I push it anyways because I want it to be perfect. I pay for it when it is time for the Alum but I'm okay with that.

1. I get a very smooth shave with a straight razor, but I get an extraordinarily smooth shave with a DE razor.
  2. I seldom have even a weeper when shaving with a straight, but more frequently shed blood with a DE.
  3. I get confused as to whether the reputation of Feather blades or Simpson brushes is the biggest hoax ever played on the shaving community.
  4. I would wear a beard more often if I didn't love shaving so much.
  5. I fear trying to hone straight razors myself.

1) I didn't understand the allure of a mild razor like a Tech paired with an aggressive blade; then I bought a pre-war Tech.
2)When I bought my Tech I didn't realize how old it was, but I like art deco styling so it makes sense.
3)I will use a Magic straight razor shavette on growth over two weeks and get just as good a shave as my DE.
4)I sometimes reapply RR mudder focker after I'm done shaving because I like the smell and feel, then rinse it off.
5)I will open and smell my proraso red soap and clubman aftershave because I enjoy the scent.

1. I get a very smooth shave with a straight razor, but I get an extraordinarily smooth shave with a DE razor.
  2. I seldom have even a weeper when shaving with a straight, but more frequently shed blood with a DE.
  3. I get confused as to whether the reputation of Feather blades or Simpson brushes is the biggest hoax ever played on the shaving community.
  4. I would wear a beard more often if I didn't love shaving so much.
  5. I fear trying to hone straight razors myself.

Randall: honing isnt as hard as you'd think, get a couple of crappy dirt cheap razors and practice with those. Don't ever shave with them, but if you mees it up you won't care. Work at it with those and gain some confidence before you hit up your gamer.

1) I'll only shower shave
2) one of my best shaves was without a mirror
3) my wife got me a timeless for Christmas and I couldn't be happier
4) my Simpson brush doesn't shed
5) I dig going against the grain

And BnB has made shaving fun!

Cheers
Mike

1) I'll only shower shave
2) one of my best shaves was without a mirror
3) my wife got me a timeless for Christmas and I couldn't be happier
4) my Simpson brush doesn't shed
5) I dig going against the grain

And BnB has made shaving fun!

Cheers
Mike
i've been coveting a timeless.

1. I open the bathroom cabinets and ogle my sparse razor collection even if I don’t need to shave.

2. I’ll sniff the soaps, again even if I’m not actually shaving or In “just passing”.

3. I’ve found myself spending an alarming amount of time on my phone reading about razors and looking them up.

4. I don’t understand people’s need for a lot of brushes just yet, although I totally get it with soaps/razors etc.

5. I can see me collecting razors more than anything and ultimately hiding them about the place when I have far too many to justify haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1) I lather with a wet brush, sopping, dripping, wet. Been working great for 40+ years.

2) I make multiple passes, almost buffing, until the tugging or sound stops.

3) I like Derby & Shark blades

4) I have no desire to hoard 37 Fatboys

5) I tend to get better shaves from new DEs versus Vintage

Time passes...

1) I got rid of my Weber again, someone offered me $235.00 for it and I simply couldn't say no.
2) I love slants again. Something happened with my technique and now they just work very well.
3) I only have one vintage razor left. HD 500 Rocket, and it always has been and still is my favorite vintage. It's also the only one I can get an irritation free BBS shave from.
4) I still feel weird calling shaving a hobby
5) One word: Synthetics

Time passes...

1) I got rid of my Weber again, someone offered me $235.00 for it and I simply couldn't say no.
2) I love slants again. Something happened with my technique and now they just work very well.
3) I only have one vintage razor left. HD 500 Rocket, and it always has been and still is my favorite vintage. It's also the only one I can get an irritation free BBS shave from.
4) I still feel weird calling shaving a hobby
5) One word: Synthetics
#3--yes, one of the best razors ever

Couldn't agree more :) Oh yea, with the spoils of my Weber I bought a Timeless 85 MM Barber Pole for my RR37. Used it this morning and still BBS

1. My favorite brush is an $8 Alibaba special.

2. I don’t have a lot if blade experience yet but so far I’m not impressed with Astra, GSB, or GEM PTFE. Feather still feels good after 5 shaves.

2. Constant faceturbation.

3. I love everything bay rum.

4. I work from home and therefore am able to intercept the items I’ve purchased so as not to alert my GF.

5. I shave every other day but wish I could shave 3 or 4 times/day. My face just won’t take it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1. I love love love vintage razors. Don’t really feel any urge for moderns, other than AS-D2, 34C and perhaps the Rex Ambassador.
2. I will buy an Apollo Mikron, it is just a matter of time.
3. I will never use other blades than Feathers.
4. I don’t know if I’ll ever be able to use a DE perfectly under my nose, still have to use a Fusion for final buffing.
5. Every single time I use Proraso Green soap and splash I wonder why I ever buy/use other brands. But I do. Constantly.

1. GSB's and I do not get along. I am building a wall with a moat to keep them from my shave den.
2. I feel guilty that I made an ex return some la prairie moisturizer yrs ago because it was so expensive and I thought it was a ridiculous waste of money. If she saw how much I have spent on soaps, creams, balms etc. now she would laugh me out of town after buying her a lifetime supply of la prairie.
3. Love my timeless and passed down goodwill but lusting for a wolfman. Makes no sense logically but rad has made my logic uncertain. Sigh.
4. I smell my brushes and soaps because I can. and often.
5. I feel like a proud parent as I watch my 4 badgers bloom.
6. My SWMBO is ok listening to me discuss what I see on the forums and all the do you like the way this (insert product) smells. She is a very patient and forgiving person. I am blessed.
7. SAD has replaced my John Lobb acquisition disorder. Unless, of course, they create a shoe for shaving. I can hear the conversation now - Honey, I never got a real BBS until I secured the Lobb shaving shoes. Don't know how you put up with a DFS before. I am doing this for you, really. Now I need to get all the colors to match my soaps etc...

Don't know that I am sheepish about any of this.

1. All my razors are now vintage.
2. Anything less than BBS is personal failure.
3. I am embarrassed to own 7 brushes.
4. Prefer 19-20mm brushes.
5. Blades get tossed after 3 shaves.

5. I have a sneaking suspicion that we're all a bit wierd!!
Weird is good, weird is interesting, I'd rather be weird than boring as boring is death.

Forgive me father for I have committed the following shave sins:
  1. While I like its performance I think Proraso pre-shave smells like cat pee.
  2. I have a love/hate relationship with bay rum. Love the smell in the bottle, hate the smell on me.
  3. I have more "product" in my bathroom then the GF has in hers.
  4. I'm intimidated by slant and open comb razors.
  5. I was 23 when one of my grandfather's passed away and when cleaning up his house we gave away a box of DE & SE razors & blades. He was a bit of a hoarder & there had to have been at least two dozen new razors from the 50's-70's, hundreds blade packs, soaps, etc. After his wife died he dated a woman who's son ran a drugstore so was always being given shaving stuff.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
1) I own one brush by Men-U. I have no idea how it compares to any other brush, and I have no intention of finding out. The brush works fine, and that is enough for me. If I was to buy another brush, I could either be disappointed in my new purchase, or disappointed in the one brush that I have owned and used for years. I would rather stick with this one brush until it's natural demise, and be blissfully ignorant to all others.

2) I have a similar mentality with soaps. MWF is my "go to" at home, and I am happy sticking with that. The Palmolive shave stick in my travel kit is different, but I have learned how to get good results from that too. I have no interest in buying a host of other products which may or may not work well, or which I need to experiment with to get shaves as good as what I'm already getting.

3) Vintage DE razors hold no real interest for me. I have bought vintage razors with hollow ground SE blades, and they are interesting because they are truly obsolete, and the blades haven't been made for several decades. They are a more true measure of times gone by, rather than just another way of using a modern blade.

4) Once I have explored the broad range of DE blades I have planned, and settled on my favourites, I will probably cash in my Excaliber Club membership, and stop trying to eek out blades for their full life. I am very interested to see which blades give me the best longevity, but I can foresee me eventually abandoning the shave count, and going back to chucking blades when I feel like using a new one - irrespective of how many shaves it might have had. Counting shaves is interesting for assessing various blade types, but needing to remember to record the shaves is the least enjoyable part of the otherwise relaxed and carefree experience.

5) I don't need any more razors. My array is as diverse as I care to own, and I don't care that three of my four DE razors get bad reviews. In fact, I get a kick out of it. It's actually quite enjoyable reading about other people hunting around for the right razor to make their shaves work, when I get great results from the ones that other folks say are too light, too short, too mild, or are otherwise not good enough. Getting excellent results with something that receives such poor reviews, is quite an ego boost.

Top Bottom