What's new

Tony Miller "Grandpa Strop"

Good Day Gents,

Not that i need another strop but Tony and I had exchanged a few emails awhile back and I was asking about a different kind of ] strop and he came up with one he had did awhile ago and he named it "Grandpa's Strop" and the naming comes from the antiquing process that he does to give the strop a used and weathered look, the strop is made from Spanish Bridle and is 2.5" wide with a flax linen back piece and then 3-Ply handles, the leather is velvety smooth and has what I would call a medium/light draw.

If you are wanting one I would suggest you contact him as he only has a small amount of this leather left and said he most likely would not be able to get anymore.

View attachment 711041View attachment 711042View attachment 711043

Yeah. Do they make bigger ones?

Not sure, I had just the one hook and kept the others in the closet and would rotate once a week and she said when she saw this 4 hook hanger she thought it would be perfect.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
And I thought I had it bad.

There was a point in time when Tony had all but hung up his leather tools and stopped making strops. This was when I first started Straight shaving and the only alternatives were the SRD Tony Miller knockoffs and the Illinois ones. It didn't make things better when Joel made a YouTube video extolling the virtues of his 3" TM brushed horsehide. Needless to say I lusted for a TM for a long time. When Tony eventually started up again I had his email on speed dial and purchased every one of every leather he made over a 2 year stretch. As a matter of fact it was a privilege to be able to purchase them! So yes, I had it bad.

Is Tony making strops from leathers other than fast bridle or the vanilla/chocolate strops anymore? I don't think I've really seen any Novotan or old timer for a while now.

Is Tony making strops from leathers other than fast bridle or the vanilla/chocolate strops anymore? I don't think I've really seen any Novotan or old timer for a while now.

I believe Tony makes Fast Bridle, Notovan when he has the materials and he was going to have a short run on the Grandpa strops but from my understanding the leather that he had planned on using was not up to his strict quality demands so they are gone, I do believe he has the plain vanilla, plain chocolate and vegan available but those are all get them while you can, i cannot stress enough how perfect his strops are, his attention to detail is outstanding !!!

We have a tough time sourcing our shaving needs, where I am in Eastern Australia. Basically anything bought from the US costs us $40 to post it,. Kanayama strops are best priced by Aframestokyo and for a #70000 model it is just under $300 in our money. They, the Kanayama's were easier to source and I bought a few models to be prepared in cases of shortage. I read a lot about T Miller strops, but I put my eggs in the Kanayama basket, and spent a fortune on my strop collection, but loved every minute of it. The artisans who make top end strop are a finite resource with old Mr KANOYAMA being in his 90 's and having no others in line to follow him, so once he is done so too the strops.

Top Bottom