What's new

Thrift Stores

Shooting vest

Attachments

• DEE508CE-6889-41CA-97A3-62929195B886.jpeg
    DEE508CE-6889-41CA-97A3-62929195B886.jpeg
    579 KB · Views: 6
i volunteer in a thrift store two days a week and always have my eye out for stuff but have come home with very little. I did get a pristine and never inked Parker 51 fountain pen a few months ago but other than that not much of consequence. I dont pay attention to the clothes and look for fountain pens, shaving gear, and pocket knives. There has only been the one pen, no shaving gear, and only cheap or totally trashed knives. I keep looking tho....

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Goodwill has a very strong presence in the online auction world, so most of their "good" stuff gets pulled off the floor. It's rare to find bargains in the store unless you're just lucky.
I've had better luck in large Salvation Army stores who deal in volume donations and smaller mom and pop type stores.
There are good deals to be had if you have the time and the patience to browse and look at labels.

Legion

Staff member
Goodwill has a very strong presence in the online auction world, so most of their "good" stuff gets pulled off the floor. It's rare to find bargains in the store unless you're just lucky.
I've had better luck in large Salvation Army stores who deal in volume donations and smaller mom and pop type stores.
There are good deals to be had if you have the time and the patience to browse and look at labels.
The salvos here sell online for their good stuff. They had a nice fat boy razor not long ago that went for a pretty penny, and I doubt they knew what it was. But the weak link is the volunteers working out the back often let a few things through to the keeper. The lady at the checkout got real salty about my Crumpler bag win the other day.

Legion

Staff member
I was just going through my closet looking for something else, and rediscovered this velvet blazer I'd forgotten about. I found it several years ago, and it was a bit big, so I put it away with the intention of having it tailored one day. In the meantime I seem to have, ahem, grown into it, and it fits now.

1BD1E79F-7791-4D7F-B824-8ABEE90B63BB.jpeg
1D5C641E-A33B-4D3A-8AC4-4B3FCE47D2B3.jpeg

Bassmanlarry makes the most relevant point in this thread to my situation. Weight loss forces constant purchasing of new items. The most important part of any piece of apparel is cut, nothing else matters near as much. Ask any good tailor or clothing designer. You can wear a yellow suit in style if the cut is right.

To maximize your chances of finding quality items, go to the second hand store surrounded by the wealthiest neighborhoods. Go every week starting just after Halloween. It seems everyone feels guilty about donating or does not want to stare at their good clothes that no longer fit at the start of the holiday season. Head out on Thursday evening or Friday during the day as most people shop on the weekend.

The ironic thing about Goodwill is you can find superior clothing at second hand clothing stores that fit the athletic build. Once you lose twenty to forty pounds, it becomes extremely difficult to purchase business attire below $50 to $75 dollars per piece. Remaining girth that is yet to be lost is pumped outwards in the proportions of professional bodybuilders. A note to people who are in the process or about to lose weight. If a piece of clothing fits perfectly now, it will be useless once you lose about 20 to 25 pounds. Floppy material is for sailing, not for wearing.

If you take a 300 to 350 pound guy that loses 50 to 100 pounds, his chest to waist ratio will exceed a difference of 10 to 12 inches. An athletic build, which is considered a difference of 8 inches or greater is rare to find in department stores below $60 in 100% cotton. The department stores are of almost no help at this point in regards to off-the-rack clothing. If unable to find anything at the second hand stores, find yourself a good tailor. Talk to him or her in person. If you are not allowed to talk to the tailor in person, shop elsewhere.

Hats off to the people at second hand stores. Without you my wardrobe changes would have cost thousands of dollars more.
Excellent information. I used to have a tailor who worked out of his home and did some suit alterations for me. He now runs a custom suit/clothing shop and has exceeded my price range. www.sewgenerously.org

Top Bottom