What's new

Thrift Stores

Anyone ever find anything cool, good, vintage ...or otherwise desireable?

Im not talking about used socks or anything like that.

The reason I ask... I routinly hit up a Salvation Army in my area just praying I find a razor and I never have, but Ive never browsed through clothing or any other area of the store.

Im sure there is all kinds of nastyness to be found * 1970s leisure suit* etc.

But hey, might stumble upon a cool vintage KISS t-shirt or something

Anyone found anything worth taking home before?

I found a turnbull & asser shirt once that I bought for $5, but it was too large so I sold it on ebay for $60.

Clothing-wise, I've had some luck at Goodwill, but it seems like it's good pickings for a little bit, then it dries up to mostly junk. Sometimes you can find some cool t-shirts or shorts. Problem is, if they ever get anything good in and they realize it, they jack up the price or send it to online auction.:mad3:

A purely chick/crafty answer, but I found my sewing machine there. In my pre-crafty days, I didn't have one but always wanted one. We bought it for $20, and still had all its bits and bobbles. Although it is around 40-50 years old (or so), it works wonderfully. We've only had to replace a belt and get a new bobbin holder that broke. It was very well taken care of.

And since this is the haberdashery, I do sew clothes on it. I recently made Mr. Crafty a silk vest and bow tie. I'll be making him the matching hat for his birthday.

Please excuse my excitement in the Haberdashery, but I am a bit of a vinylphile and couldn't resist relating this...

Last Sunday, driving back from an exquisite weekend with my wife, celebrating our 18th wedding anniversary at a beautiful Bed and Breakfast an hour from home, we dropped into a recently opened Goodwill on the highway (yes, the highway) about 7 miles from my home. Investigating the vinyl they had, came across ~200 albums from what is most definitely a collector's stash (had notes, system info, where filed, ratings, etc.) of extra virgin vinyl (no dust, no scratches); I got that, "OK, I just found a secret treasure trove no one knows about," dizzy feeling in the pit of my stomach :w00t: and bought them all. We're talking multiple RCA Shaded Dogs, RCA Living Stereo, Red Seals, Musical Heritage Society, Columbia, Mercury Living Presence, etc. All were pristine, and when I say pristine, I mean pristine; many, I swear, many were never played. All heavy vinyl; no flimsy, cheapies here. Mostly classical and they all had to be 35 - 50 years old, meticulously kept. All were in plastic jackets, so no paper jacket induced scratches or dust. Played some at home without even cleaning; completely silent background, completely involving music!

Every album was (drumroll, please) $1 each. I spent $150.00 (even the multiple record albums were $1) for 200 fanatically well kept classics. If I chose to, I could sell the 37 MHS albums and net ~$1,000.00 (I won't, though). When I run into luck like this, I know the vinyl gods are smiling upon me, guiding me to straight to audio nirvana!

What a happy anniversary haul, to say nothing of the weekend I had with my wife!

By the way, we did wear clothes (well, most of the time, anyway).

Last edited:
I have found many things in the thrift stores and goodwill.

I agree that a few years ago, it was easier to find quality merchandise, but as someone else said, they tend to throw it on the auctions.

Brand new suits with the new tags still on them, jackets, and overcoats...even some vintage items, like Johnston and Murphy shoes that are better than many shoes today. (5 bucks a pair)

Jos Banks ties...$3 a piece (recent finds)

but these days the pickings seem to be slim....very slim...

Please excuse my excitement in the Haberdashery, but I am a bit of a vinylphile and couldn't resist relating this...

Last Sunday, driving back from an exquisite weekend with my wife, celebrating our 18th wedding anniversary at a beautiful Bed and Breakfast an hour from home, we dropped into a recently opened Goodwill on the highway (yes, the highway) about 7 miles from my home. Investigating the vinyl they had, came across ~200 albums from what is most definitely a collector's stash (had notes, system info, where filed, ratings, etc.) of extra virgin vinyl (no dust, no scratches); I got that, "OK, I just found a secret treasure trove no one knows about," dizzy feeling in the pit of my stomach :w00t: and bought them all. We're talking multiple RCA Shaded Dogs, RCA Living Stereo, Red Seals, Musical Heritage Society, Columbia, Mercury Living Presence, etc. All were pristine, and when I say pristine, I mean pristine; many, I swear, many were never played. All heavy vinyl; no flimsy, cheapies here. Mostly classical and they all had to be 35 - 50 years old, meticulously kept. All were in plastic jackets, so no paper jacket induced scratches or dust. Played some at home without even cleaning; completely silent background, completely involving music!

Every album was (drumroll, please) $1 each. I spent $150.00 (even the multiple record albums were $1) for 200 fanatically well kept classics. If I chose to, I could sell the 37 MHS albums and net ~$1,000.00 (I won't, though). When I run into luck like this, I know the vinyl gods are smiling upon me, guiding me to straight to audio nirvana!

What a happy anniversary haul, to say nothing of the weekend I had with my wife!

By the way, we did wear clothes (well, most of the time, anyway).

good job !!! :thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1:

I've just started "Goodwilling" over the last few months... I've found an Oscar de la Renta suit, lots of Brooks Brothers suits, a few nice sport coats, some Polo tennis shirts, J. Crew and Eddie Bower sweaters, and quite a few pairs of tailored slacks. My best find, though, has probably been a like new (not even broken in) paid of J&M cap-toe cordovan tassel loafers. One thing to keep in mind, especially with suits, slacks, and sport coats, is sizes are very much caveat emptor... I've bought 3 or 4 pairs of tailored slacks listed as my waist size that had been taken in to an in-between size or full size smaller. They cost more than the pants themselves to have let-out, but were still a much better value than buying new. Also, again with suits, slacks, and sport coats, plan on dry cleaning before wearing. Even if you buy an item with a recent dry-cleaning tag, it's been hanging up against other items that haven't been cleaned and likely tried on by several people.

The best finds, or at least the largest concentration of finds, usually come when you stumble across a recent donation by someone your size with your taste. There have been a couple of times that I could tell, based on size and style/taste/condition, that I was buying multiple items from a single donation lot. \

I always look for razors too, but I've never found any. I did find my favorite shaving mug at a Goodwill for $0.74... a Proraso green latte mug that's deep, wide, and probably won't be replaced unless I buy the new VDH Luxury kit.

Legion

Staff member
I'm a big fan of vintage stuff. Most of my favourite things were bought second hand, so I am always in thrift stores.

I just looked at my photos and here is a selection of some of the stuff I have bought in the last year or so.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Cold stream guards coat

proxy.php

Krosno

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Whale tooth

I run across decent stuff once in a while. I found three brand new Dri Fit Nike golf shirts at a new store near my house last night. Two were exactly the same, and they all had someone's company logo on them, but they're fine for me. In the past I've gotten a couple of Eddie Bauer 1/4 zip sweaters, a brand new $200 tv stand from Target (I paid $30), a coffee table that I fixed up for the cost of a can of outdoor spray paint and some ceramic tiles, and several dress shirts and pants.

I'll echo the previous posts in saying that the majority of the good stuff is snatched up and sold on Goodwill's auction site.

The trick seems to be to hit the stores in the nicest parts of town that are near wealthy suburbs. I've found a couple pair of Allen Edmonds shoes that needed re-soled, but unfortunately they weren't my size.

They are also jacking up their prices, well Goodwill is anyway. Shirts are now $4.29, and I believe pants are about the same. While I had no problem paying that for the brand new or like new things I find, the fact that a crusty old stained up polo is nearly $5 irks me. I'm sure there are less fortunate people who go in there and can't afford to buy much due to the price increases.

Sometimes you get lucky my wife is voracious reader , so we go on the prowl for paper back books . This week I found a nice pipe rack for four bucks and knife sharpener with crock sticks for two dollars . I never see any razors though and now I am looking for a nice razor stand .

Wow, where to begin? You can find some really high quality stuff at thrift stores if you take the time to look. I have a few secret stores that I keep to myself. Some highlights:

Brooks Bros. cashmere sweater
2 first edition John Updike Novels (Rabbit Redux & Rabbit is Rich)
Vintage Rockmount western shirt that feels like it was tailored to me
Pink suede Hush Puppy loafers
An original vintage Alabama "40 Hour Week" tour t-shirt, complete with hard hat, lunch pail, and shoulder stripes. I get more comments and compliments about this shirt than any other article of clothing I own.

Don't even get me started on how much I love thrift stores. If you learn HOW to shop there, and spend a little bit of time there, you find gold.
My best find was probably a $500 new lacoste jacket for $20. All my nicest dress shirts are from there, my big winter parka, and some of my best shoes. Over half of my favourite clothing is from thrift stores. People always ask me where I get things, and they never believe me when I tell them, OR how much I paid.
Also, I have NEVER seen ANY shaving gear.

I have picked up a few Bamboo Fly Rods, and about 8 Pflueger Medalist reels over the years. It is all about being consistent, because most of these things get picked up in a matter of days after being dropped off.

Legion

Staff member
Don't even get me started on how much I love thrift stores. If you learn HOW to shop there, and spend a little bit of time there, you find gold.
My best find was probably a $500 new lacoste jacket for $20. All my nicest dress shirts are from there, my big winter parka, and some of my best shoes. Over half of my favourite clothing is from thrift stores. People always ask me where I get things, and they never believe me when I tell them, OR how much I paid.
Also, I have NEVER seen ANY shaving gear.

Me either (except one Oldspice mug, $6)

I think there are probably rules about hygiene or safety with selling that stuff. Which possibly means it all goes in the trash. :bored:

I know some one who gets kitchenware ( bowls etc)from thrift shops for around $1 each. Alot is the the good quality French stuff that you can get anymore. She soaks it in disinfectant and off she goes. Saves heaps of dollars and better quality than the inferior Chinese made stuff.

I got a nice double-breasted Hugo Boss jacket for $10 once. As far as shaving gear I can't find them at thrift stores...antique stores on the other hand always have some $15 tech or Rubberset that has been beat to death.

The best finds, or at least the largest concentration of finds, usually come when you stumble across a recent donation by someone your size with your taste. There have been a couple of times that I could tell, based on size and style/taste/condition, that I was buying multiple items from a single donation lot.

To reiterate this tip, yesterday I was browsing the local Goodwill and came across a like-new (no irregular shrinking) royal blue cashmere sweater-vest by Town Craft. Score! Browsing some more, in a completely different part of the men's section I found an identical royal blue cashmere Town Craft sweater in the same size and identical perfect condition. Had to be from the same donation, way to close for coincidence.

In an unrelated find, I also walked out with a perfect condition Stafford Navy Blazer... nothing exciting, but I needed one since my current Navy blazer is a hold over from college, probably a hand-me-down then, has plastic buttons, and is getting quite snug. The Stafford has nice gold buttons that aren't TOO shinny, but I'm considering replacing them with brown leather buttons as I've done with another sport coat and a couple of dressier top coats. I almost bit on a light blue seersucker sport coat also, but I couldn't envision myself wearing it more than once or twice a year... unless I join a country club :biggrin1:.

Total for all three was $13.

Top Bottom