What's new

The Thin Blue Smoke thread IX- BBQ at the B&B

I love that we are only 13 days into 2017 and already have 4 pages of BBQ discussion, things are right in the Mess Hall!

Owen, I'm sorry to hear about your wife, my thoughts are with you guys!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I love that we are only 13 days into 2017 and already have 4 pages of BBQ discussion, things are right in the Mess Hall!

Owen, I'm sorry to hear about your wife, my thoughts are with you guys!
She is up and walking after bypass yesterday. She is progressing well, and may come home Monday.

A few days ago, I went to the freezer and discovered we were out of ribs. Off to the market I went and came home with four. Cleaned them up, removed the membranes, and applied the rub. Took them to the Smokey Joe. The first photo shows what they looked like after about 40 minutes.

$ribs 1.JPG

Smoked them for about 5 hours and took them out. Used cherry and pecan for wood and briquets. This is what they looked like before wrapping in foil and applying some sauce.

$ribs 2.JPG

The final product. Love them.

$ribs 3.JPG

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Excellent... right up until you put that sauce on 'em.

Like beans in chili, sacrilege!

I'll be right over to help you cover up the evidence before the BBQ authorities get wind of this foul deed.

Excellent... right up until you put that sauce on 'em.

Like beans in chili, sacrilege!

I'll be right over to help you cover up the evidence before the BBQ authorities get wind of this foul deed.

I could plead guilty - but my beautiful wife did it. :laugh:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I have a chicken marinating for a tandoori chicken on the BBQ.

OK to keep it simple I used Pataks tandoori paste instead of making my own. Hey even store bought yoghurt.

$20170129_122616.jpg

The chicken has been spatchcocked, cuts made for the marinate to penitrate and is marinating for a few hours before hitting the que.
No tandor oven, so the que will have to do.

$20170129_122624.jpg

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Texas brisket. I smoked this Prime brisket with a somewhat departure from what is normally done.

1. No trimming of fat but just a few really thick areas. I did trim a few edges where it was mealy.
2. I towel dried the entire surface of the brisket and set in frig over night wrapped in towels.
3. Remove from frig and let it come to room temperature.
4. I used salt and pepper only. Most importantly, I applied the S&P right before placing in smoker. If you apply the salt to early it brings moisture to the surface of the meat and creates a barrier to the smoke.
5. I placed the brisket fat side down with the point toward the fire box. The fat protects the meat from drying out.
6. I smoked it to exactly 160 then wrapped it in butcher paper.
7. I removed the brisket from the butcher paper at 205, placed back in smoker for a few minutes to dry up the bark a little.
8. Placed in small cooler for 2 hours
9. I separated the flat from the point by carving down at an angle between the two muscles.
10. Cut against the grain or at an oblique angle when slicing.
11. Eat, moan, eat, moan....

Best I've ever made.

$image.jpg$image.jpg$image.jpg$image.jpg$image.jpg

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Spot on. Perfect bark, and looking at the cutting board you can see the moisture is there. I would go into brisket coma.

I think Aaron has gone in a brisket coma. I bet he's in his armchairm stacking the z's right now after a feast of brisket.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Texas brisket. I smoked this Prime brisket with a somewhat departure from what is normally done.

1. No trimming of fat but just a few really thick areas. I did trim a few edges where it was mealy.
2. I towel dried the entire surface of the brisket and set in frig over night wrapped in towels.
3. Remove from frig and let it come to room temperature.
4. I used salt and pepper only. Most importantly, I applied the S&P right before placing in smoker. If you apply the salt to early it brings moisture to the surface of the meat and creates a barrier to the smoke.
5. I placed the brisket fat side down with the point toward the fire box. The fat protects the meat from drying out.
6. I smoked it to exactly 160 then wrapped it in butcher paper.
7. I removed the brisket from the butcher paper at 205, placed back in smoker for a few minutes to dry up the bark a little.
8. Placed in small cooler for 2 hours
9. I separated the flat from the point by carving down at an angle between the two muscles.
10. Cut against the grain or at an oblique angle when slicing.
11. Eat, moan, eat, moan....

Best I've ever made.

View attachment 721672View attachment 721673View attachment 721674View attachment 721675View attachment 721676

I have always preferred meiosis and litotes to hyperbole, so allow me to simply say:

not bad.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Spot on. Perfect bark, and looking at the cutting board you can see the moisture is there. I would go into brisket coma.

The coma was self induced.

I think Aaron has gone in a brisket coma. I bet he's in his armchairm stacking the z's right now after a feast of brisket.

I had to stop and wake up because the ribs were ready.

$image.jpg

I have always preferred meiosis and litotes to hyperbole, so allow me to simply say:

not bad.

Thanks.

Top Bottom