What's new

The Tech Clone Wars

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I had such a great shave with my pre war tech today that I am wondering why I keep ordering new razors to try.

Excellent question. The Pre-War Tech is an outstanding razor - certainly good enough to make it on a lot of "Desert Island" lists.

Mine has a permanent spot in my Den and in my extended rotation.

I had such a great shave with my pre war tech today that I am wondering why I keep ordering new razors to try.
I had a wonderful shave with my English brass Ball End Tech yesterday, and I had to ask my self the same question.
A simple set up with a Tech, a Lord Platinum and Razorock Puros soap, that's all you need ❤️

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Razor: Gillette Pre-War Fat Handle Tech (Charcoal Goods Copper Maze Handle)
Blade: Feather (2)
Brush: Rudy Vey Irish Bog Oak (IBO) (Shavemac 24mm 2-band Silvertip)
Lather: WSP Rustic Tobacco
Aftershave: Bootlegger's Lime Bay Rum
20210423_154826~2.jpg

Great kit. The Pre-War Tech Rocks!
:thumbup: :punk:

I been using my iKON Tek razor for my last few shaves & I'm surprised how different it shaves compared to how I thought it would shave & feel like.

I pulled out 2 Tech clones which are on the efficient / aggressive side compared to the other clones out there to see how each razor holds the blade, very interesting seeing what works for me & what difference it makes between having positive, neutral exposure etc...
20210430_205940-01_125124.jpeg

20210430_205047_125223.jpg

The Qshave tech clone which is one of the better Chinese Tech clones in my opinion, well it's better than many others I't tried, it's a rebranded Rimei sold by Qshave, with better finishing, more efficient then just say a Pre war tech but with more blade feel. The worse thing about the razor is the blade ends stick out more then anything i used, shave wise I like it a lot but still prefer my Canadian Pre War Tech or my English FB.
H6c0512c70cec4806b77d42acd639589bw.jpg

The Rapira razor is a tech clone from Russia, mine is the older model with the nickel plate finish, visually it's not the best looking, shaving wise it's not my favourite, every time I use this razor I am guaranteed to get a nick or 2, the shave can be decent occasionally but it just doesn't feel kind on my skin, the sharp blade feel is uncomfortable, it also can tug when going ATG, it's one razor I take my time with, due to how flat it holds the blade & the large blade gap this geometry is a nightmare for my coarse dense stubble.
20210430_032329_031727.jpg

The iKON Tek is one razor I always wanted to try & recently I bought one, I thought the shave would feel like the Rapira razor & that the blade gap would be huge but I was wrong, yes there's a lot of blade feel but it feels different to the Rapira, it's smoother & more comfortable on my skin & just as efficient, it's not the most rigid design but it's better than the other 2. This type of way of doing the aggression thing works for me in terms of razor head geometry, I can wield this razor easier.
IMG_20210425_031452-01-01.jpeg

Qshave ⬇
1619826935205_125544.jpg

Rapira ⬇
1619826891207_125512.jpg

iKon Tek

1619826891198_125507.jpeg

Below is my Personna Razor this one is a great shaver it's made mainly out of aluminium barring the top cap, Similar to the Star, Pal razors, why I like the Qshave razor is because it has a similar geometry to this razor but this one is milder & more comfortable with it's small blade gap, the angle of attack is perfect which makes it on the medium level for efficiency, Goldilocks zone.
IMG_20210430_222951_010014.jpg

IMG_20200601_224956-02-01.jpeg

Last edited:
Anyone tried the Vielong 10000R? Seems like a blatant Tech clone, and made by a very old Spanish company, interestingly. MAQUINILLA CLASICA DE AFEITAR, METAL - https://store.vielong.com/en/shaving-razors/249-maquinilla-clasica-de-afeitar-metal-8422554100005.html

I'm considering buying European since I can find this one locally and wouldn't have to go into a month-long wait to get a Baili or YingJili, but I have no idea what kind of performance I'd be getting. (Personally I hate the weight of the R89 and even the 23C/34C types I've used so far, and I'm looking for a head that's as light as possible and "follows my commands" as much as possible, that's how I ended up looking at Tech clones.)

Anyone tried the Vielong 10000R? Seems like a blatant Tech clone, and made by a very old Spanish company, interestingly. MAQUINILLA CLASICA DE AFEITAR, METAL - https://store.vielong.com/en/shaving-razors/249-maquinilla-clasica-de-afeitar-metal-8422554100005.html

I'm considering buying European since I can find this one locally and wouldn't have to go into a month-long wait to get a Baili or YingJili, but I have no idea what kind of performance I'd be getting. (Personally I hate the weight of the R89 and even the 23C/34C types I've used so far, and I'm looking for a head that's as light as possible and "follows my commands" as much as possible, that's how I ended up looking at Tech clones.)
I think that Vie-Long razor is a rebranded Baili. Similar to the Razorock DE-1, but with a different handle. You can read reviews on those.

These go on sale from time-to-time for $3.99.

I think that Vie-Long razor is a rebranded Baili. Similar to the Razorock DE-1, but with a different handle.
Huh. If that's the case then it would probably be worth the extra wait, as the Vielong is selling for $35-ish where I live. :)

Here are the 171 (“original”) and 176 (also sold as the “upgraded“ 176). I ended up with a second free 171 in rose gold because I ordered the upgraded one and received an old one.
Could you venture a guess as to the relative quality of that gold-tinted plating vs. the chrome-looking one?

Huh. If that's the case then it would probably be worth the extra wait, as the Vielong is selling for $35-ish where I live. :)
Maybe you could find the Baili model 176 or the Razorock DE-1 on Ebay, Amazon, etc. where you live, so you would not have to wait so long and could avoid import fees. They were selling routinely for under $10 last time I saw them.

Maybe you could find the Baili model 176 or the Razorock DE-1 on Ebay, Amazon, etc. where you live, so you would not have to wait so long and could avoid import fees. They were selling routinely for under $10 last time I saw them.
No no, that Vielong doesn't look like the 176, it looks like the 131/171-classic, that's why I was considering it: I want the thinnest lightest version of the Tech head so I get the most control possible. Currently waiting for Baili to tell me more about their rose gold surface plating - I hope it's titanium nitride PVD, in which case I can expect it to be as good as the Sumatra and then I can press Buy in a nanosecond (I really wanted the Sumatra once I read everything about it and watched a few YouTube videos, but since it's only available from the US, ordering it to the EU would push the cost to ridiculous levels, and if the rose-gold 171-classic a.k.a. the BT173 has the same geometry and surface treatments, it could be a perfect Sumatra equivalent for us EU folks).

I have two British Fat Handle Tech, Flat Bottom, from 1946-1948.
Very nice razors :)
Here is one of them
View attachment 1298773
Ahhh i forgot to mention mine is also an english 1...pretty sure it's identical to yours..i was lucky enough to get 1 in mint condition.it looks like it's never been used.i noticed they are pretty much a gillette new with safety bar instead of an open comb.my new is my favorite head shaver,so i think I'll love the tech😎

Currently waiting for Baili to tell me more about their rose gold surface plating - I hope it's titanium nitride PVD
Nope, electroplated nickel. :( That can be toxic, some people are allergic, if done badly it can rust off very early on, which seems to be the case with the Baili if we look at some of the negative reviews on Amazon. So definitely skipping that one. I'll have to get the chrome or redo my math on whether the Sumatra is worth it with all the taxes.

I just got my very 1st tech in last week..cleaned it up,and polished it yesterday ready for tomorrow's shave..it's a 1946 fat handle.lol so i haven't dove down the fake tech rabbit hole yet lolol
1st head shave with my 1946 english fat handle tech....sadly it's not for me..it's a pity cause it's in such amazing condition and it's a beautiful razor too.it's just not efficient enough and i had to go over and over the same spot 3 or 4 times...ahwell atleast I've got an awesome handle for my lc new lol

I recently bought a couple of Gillette Super Blue Techs from Aliexpress. I have a mint 1952 Gillette Tech with the bakelite handle, as well as an original Rimei and several other Chinese clones. As crazy as this may sound, I have had several spectacular shaves from the Super Blue. I have been totally surprised. The original Gillette Tech is by far the best of the bunch, but IMHO the ridiculously inexpensive Super Blue is nearly as good (99%) as the original Gillette. I have used Personna Med Prep, Nacet, Polsilver, Astra, Lord and Israeli Reds in the Super Blue and they all have worked well. The Med Preps were most likely the best. With a 3 pass shave and some minor cleanup, I can get a BBS shave with the Super Blue that lasts over well over 24 hours. By the way, I ordered the Super Blues in May 2021 from Ali Express, and they took about 21 days to arrive on the West Coast. Only a few days longer than several purchases I have made from 2 Canadian vendors in the Toronto area.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
1st head shave with my 1946 english fat handle tech....sadly it's not for me..it's a pity cause it's in such amazing condition and it's a beautiful razor too.it's just not efficient enough and i had to go over and over the same spot 3 or 4 times...ahwell atleast I've got an awesome handle for my lc new lol

Use a Feather or a Kai blade and a steep angle (ride the bar). The efficiency will become apparent. :cool:

Just my opinion. :)

If you have just used that Tech one time, it might be too soon to come to a conclusion. The Tech has quite a narrow angle, so has to be tightly controlled or you will not get a close shave. A more aggressive razor has a wider effective shaving angle, so you can be a little sloppy and get away with it more easily.

Top Bottom