What's new

The "Not Gillette" Vintage DE Thread

Obviously you can shave with them.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I'm pretty good about rigging things up and making mods, but I appreciate plug 'n play shaving right now. There might come a day when I have chased the simiple stuff and want to take on new challenges, but that day is not today...or tomorrow. It's getting closer, just not now.

How does one mod the modern razor to make it work?

I'm pretty good about rigging things up and making mods, but I appreciate plug 'n play shaving right now. There might come a day when I have chased the simiple stuff and want to take on new challenges, but that day is not today...or tomorrow. It's getting closer, just not now.

How does one mod the modern razor to make it work?
Sharp manicure scissors, cut an oval to approximate the original, it needn't be precise as you can align the blade as it sits on the bottom plate before you tighten the handle and cap. 20 seconds. There's a YouTube video or two demonstrating, including a downloadable template.

proxy.php

Sharp manicure scissors, cut an oval to approximate the original, it needn't be precise as you can align the blade as it sits on the bottom plate before you tighten the handle and cap. 20 seconds. There's a YouTube video or two demonstrating, including a downloadable template.

proxy.php

and I believe that we have the template in the ShaveWiki.

Forgot to add these for reference. The posts on the top cap are interesting, quite thin. They lock into the base a bit firmly where it holds itself together under light tension and the base plate holes spread around a bit amd the little spacers built into the stamping fit into the blade to secure it with no play.
20180210_230111.jpg
20180210_230646.jpg
20180210_230628.jpg
20180210_230704.jpg

Forgot to add these for reference. The posts on the top cap are interesting, quite thin. They lock into the base a bit firmly where it holds itself together under light tension and the base plate holes spread around a bit amd the little spacers built into the stamping fit into the blade to secure it with no play.
View attachment 859573 View attachment 859574 View attachment 859575 View attachment 859576
Interesting. There were at least three other razors, French and German, I've seen that shared the Famex design. Does yours seem to function as an adjustable like the Famex?

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

I have a big soft spot for cage guards in general. They tend to be aggressive and not messy as they hold spent lather. This is just a really weird one. I can't imagine many surviving, the comb wire is hysterically thin. I think it might be italian

Are they zinc alloy, handle too?

Olyfas are made of cheap zamac, it's almost impossible to find a mint one !

What is it?

Le Coq used different metals for its cage-head, this one is aluminum, very light and often found bent :/

Regarding the unbranded cage-head, the pear-shaped handle makes me think about Swing (but they haven't facets...), but the metal used for the head looks cheap, so I'd go for either a prototype (I've often seen prototypes with cheaper metal than the final razor), or a copy from a eastern europe manufacturer.

Olyfas are made of cheap zamac, it's almost impossible to find a mint one !

Le Coq used different metals for its cage-head, this one is aluminum, very light and often found bent :/

Regarding the unbranded cage-head, the pear-shaped handle makes me think about Swing (but they haven't facets...), but the metal used for the head looks cheap, so I'd go for either a prototype (I've often seen prototypes with cheaper metal than the final razor), or a copy from a eastern europe manufacturer.

Ah, thank you fine sir! :thumbsup:

The Swing may be what I was thinking.

proxy.php

Finally had a chance to test this out with a kai. You cannot feel the blade in this thing whatsoever, but unlike the grand shave king it cuts the beard acceptably. It has a super narrow effective range of angles you can use and can probably lead to awful habits with other razors if you switch a lot but I must concede that this one works and is ultra mild at once. It also harnesses the lather like a lather catcher which is nice. The only feedback this gives is the cutting sound and that is IT.

Finally had a chance to test this out with a kai. You cannot feel the blade in this thing whatsoever, but unlike the grand shave king it cuts the beard acceptably. It has a super narrow effective range of angles you can use and can probably lead to awful habits with other razors if you switch a lot but I must concede that this one works and is ultra mild at once. It also harnesses the lather like a lather catcher which is nice. The only feedback this gives is the cutting sound and that is IT.

Was that one from eBay Italy? I was hoping someone would pick that one up. Thanks for the shave report.

Segal made a pretty cool TTO razor...
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Yes, yes and yes. One of my best shavers, nice heft (2.52 oz) and balance and suprisingly smooth for an OC. Worth the extra effort to trim (modify) a modern day blade. They can be had for a song and dance. Highly recommened.

First shave with the Clix was a little unnerving, it's very mild and finnicky about angle (resemblance to the Simplex purely superficial), this second much much better. I see a North Shore head replate in the offing. The 30g head does benefit from a heavier handle then the stock Bakelite one.
proxy.php

Here's an unbranded comb purchased from Italy. It feels nice in the hand but the edge of the comb tends to catch the side of my moustache giving an uncomfortable little tug now and then when I'm not careful. I believe it's made by the same company that makes razors called Mirabilia and Ramir:

Mirabilia Ramir Open Comb Razor, Italy, Heavy1.JPG Mirabilia Ramir Open Comb Razor, Italy, Heavy5.JPG Mirabilia Ramir Open Comb Razor, Italy, Heavy6.JPG Mirabilia Ramir Open Comb Razor, Italy, Heavy7.JPG

Top Bottom