What's new

The MMA Thread

Did anyone else hear Bob Arum's ignorant and racist remarks about MMA and its fans? I understand his feeling threatened by the sport, but he took it to an unnecessary level with his comments. I will look for a link as soon as I can.

Yeah, that was pretty dismal. Bas Rutten had a pretty funny editorial about it on Inside MMA.

Alright, a little quiz of easy to moderate difficulty for all you MMA fans out there (nobody too obscure). Be honest and don't go name-searching on the 'net...just see how many you can do from memory. I've tried to get a cross-section of talent and threw a few old schoolers in there too. I'm seeing 18 or 19/20 for some of you hardcores on here. :biggrin:

PM me your name list and I'll post the winner in a day or two. Good luck boys! :001_smile

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s257/nuskool73/cru****.jpg

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Rather than participating in this one I will tell you that I knew 16 of them right off the bat. Two I was able to confirm with Google and/or Sherdog and two I don't have a clue on.

Wow, he's too old to start that career now. Don't get me wrong if the match him up right he'll likely win one or two, but he's not the next Randy Couture at all.

Did anyone else hear Bob Arum's ignorant and racist remarks about MMA and its fans? I understand his feeling threatened by the sport, but he took it to an unnecessary level with his comments. I will look for a link as soon as I can.

Yeah, that was pretty dismal. Bas Rutten had a pretty funny editorial about it on Inside MMA.

+1

Apologies if this was already posted:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_y..._medical_suspensions&prov=mmajunkie&type=lgns

PS. This was my 100th post, how neat :lol:

Congrats on your 100th post. Medical suspensions (even everyone getting suspended) isn't that uncommon. I't just to ensure that none of the fighters turn around and fight too soon.

Ok--I just checked through it and I too think that I can ID 16 right off the top. One of the remaining ones has me completely stumped and another one looks vaguely familiar. I'll run through them again when I get home tonight.

Some good efforts out there guys! The winner this time round is mejnoon with The Nid Hog but a point behind. Well done gents! :biggrin:

1. Brian Bowles
2. Bas Rutten
3. Mac Danzig
4. Murilo 'Ninja' Rua
5. Lil' Nog
6. Chieck Kongo
7. Ronaldo 'Jacare' Souza
8. Igor Vovachanchyn (sp?)
9. Joachim 'Hellboy' Hansen
10. Takanori Gomi
11. Denis Kang
12. Guy Mezger
13. Kazuo Misaki
14. Masakatsu Funaki (Pancrase co-founder I think)
15. Kim Couture
16. Mark Hunt
17. Heath Herring
18. Tony Fryklund
19. Pat Miletich
20. Alexsander Emelianenko

I wanted to give you guys a heads up on an up and comer I saw tonight. His name is Felipe Fogolin...trains BJJ under Cleber Luciano (black belt, and I was told he earned it VERY quickly) and muay thai under Rafael Cordeiro/Chutebox.

I train at a Cleber affiliate school...Cleber and Felipe are both fighting at a nearby reservation show on Thursday night. They were in the gym training tonight along with Cyborg Santos, Doug Marshall (he's the MT instructor at our school) and a couple of local fighters. I got to watch Felipe do some light sparring with Cyborg...dude is LEGIT. Apparently Cordeiro has been comparing him to Shogun, and he's been training MT for less than 2 years.

Remember the name...:wink:

Anyone catch Chuck Liddell on Dancing with the Stars? I dug up the youtube clip and it's pretty entertaining.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBTVL0cbP5A[/YOUTUBE]

Chris, you've alluded to doing some fighting yourself, do you mind sharing some background?

I wrestled a little when I was young, and I've trained submission grappling and muay thai off and on for the last ~5 years. I've won a couple smoker fights and some no gi grappling matches. I'm 0-1 as a pro...about 3.5 years ago I got the opportunity to take a fight after a guy got injured ~5 weeks out...I knew the opponent and thought I could beat him, so I went for it...it didn't work out exactly like I thought it would.

I haven't competed much since for a couple of reasons, but I would like to fight again early next year. For the first time in a while I'm free of injuries and have a training situation that works with my day job. I've made it known to a couple of match makers that I'm looking to fight around that time...hopefully something comes through.

I wrestled a little when I was young, and I've trained submission grappling and muay thai off and on for the last ~5 years. I've won a couple smoker fights and some no gi grappling matches. I'm 0-1 as a pro...about 3.5 years ago I got the opportunity to take a fight after a guy got injured ~5 weeks out...I knew the opponent and thought I could beat him, so I went for it...it didn't work out exactly like I thought it would.

I haven't competed much since for a couple of reasons, but I would like to fight again early next year. For the first time in a while I'm free of injuries and have a training situation that works with my day job. I've made it known to a couple of match makers that I'm looking to fight around that time...hopefully something comes through.

That's fantastic! When I'm watching highlights on Inside MMA, I'll be looking for the guy with the B&B Badger logo on his board shorts. Let us know when you get something scheduled.

who's watching the ultimate fighter? kimbo might make it.

I've only seen the first episode, but I can't imagine Kimbo ever being successful in the UFC. He's a brawler, plain and simple. He obviously has power, but I feel the top heavyweights in the UFC will destroy him.

I've only seen the first episode, but I can't imagine Kimbo ever being successful in the UFC. He's a brawler, plain and simple. He obviously has power, but I feel the top heavyweights in the UFC will destroy him.

Yeah it'll be interesting to see where he ends up but as it stands, yeah, I think any top heavyweight would pound him to dust (well, submit him probably).

That's fantastic! When I'm watching highlights on Inside MMA, I'll be looking for the guy with the B&B Badger logo on his board shorts. Let us know when you get something scheduled.

+1 I never had any desire to do it professionally as I know I couldn't keep it up for long and 33 was old to start. Let us know what's up!

who's watching the ultimate fighter? kimbo might make it.

Kimbo is already in the UFC. Like him or not, he is a draw and he will sell PPV's. Regardless of the outcome of TUF I think you will see him fight in the UFC. This on Brock Lesnar, he skyrocketed in the UFC because of his previous fame and then secured his spot via talent. No whether or not Kimbo will last very long or will be a couple PPV trick pony is a whole other discussion.

Exactly. As such he always has a chance but technique and experience will beat him more often than he will beat it. I still think given time and training he could be a good mixed martial artist. However, does anyone actually see Kimbo beating Brock, Nog, Carwin, hell even Cro Cop?

Yeah it'll be interesting to see where he ends up but as it stands, yeah, I think any top heavyweight would pound him to dust (well, submit him probably).

Or both. I think guys like Carwin and Lesnar would just beat him into submission while guys like Nog would likely submit him probably with relative ease.

Top Bottom