What's new

The MMA Thread

Yeah it'll be interesting to see where he ends up but as it stands, yeah, I think any top heavyweight would pound him to dust (well, submit him probably).

I remember sitting in the bleachers at a soccer game with my kids the morning after Kimbo's TV premier. Surrounded by typical yuppie families, everybody was talking about Kimbo's fight. I'm sure that they didn't have a clue about fighting, but they were all about Kimbo. I bring that up because the guys that run Zuffa are no fools. As long as there's some kind of public interest, Kimbo will get fights. So--I guess that the ratings from TUF will have a lot to do with what happens to him. If he gets his $@&% knocked stiff next week and viewer interest wanes, he'll be out (does Bodog still exist?). If he wins, well--that's what TUF is all about, isn't it. The worst scenario is that he gets his clock cleaned but people keep tuning in. Then we'll probably see some Kimbo outings aginst UFC bottom feeders and tomato cans until he finally sinks away to a regional fight circuit somewhere.

I remember sitting in the bleachers at a soccer game with my kids the morning after Kimbo's TV premier. Surrounded by typical yuppie families, everybody was talking about Kimbo's fight. I'm sure that they didn't have a clue about fighting, but they were all about Kimbo. I bring that up because the guys that run Zuffa are no fools. As long as there's some kind of public interest, Kimbo will get fights. So--I guess that the ratings from TUF will have a lot to do with what happens to him. If he gets his $@&% knocked stiff next week and viewer interest wanes, he'll be out (does Bodog still exist?). If he wins, well--that's what TUF is all about, isn't it. The worst scenario is that he gets his clock cleaned but people keep tuning in. Then we'll probably see some Kimbo outings aginst UFC bottom feeders and tomato cans until he finally sinks away to a regional fight circuit somewhere.

Very true. I remember watching one of his EliteXC fights at a friend's house who knew nothing about MMA and as soon as he saw Kimbo he was convinced he would win, which he did, but also that he was the best out there, nobody would be able to beat him, blah, blah, blah... It was my first time seeing him fight, but thought that he may have some skills since Bas Rutten was training him. I was completely unimpressed by his fight and feel he is a bottom level guy whose best feature is his standup at which he still is not very good. Most real MMA fans seem to feel this way or similarly about him. Now casual fans or people who just happen to be tuning in without knowing the sport will see him and have much the same reaction my friend did especially considering all the hype surrounding him which even non-MMA fans have heard ad nauseum. Dana White and the guys know he isn't the greatest out there or even close, but he will put money in their pockets. That is why even after all the crap Dana said about him in the past, he's a part of the UFC now.

Very true. I remember watching one of his EliteXC fights at a friend's house who knew nothing about MMA and as soon as he saw Kimbo he was convinced he would win, which he did, but also that he was the best out there, nobody would be able to beat him, blah, blah, blah... It was my first time seeing him fight, but thought that he may have some skills since Bas Rutten was training him. I was completely unimpressed by his fight and feel he is a bottom level guy whose best feature is his standup at which he still is not very good. Most real MMA fans seem to feel this way or similarly about him. Now casual fans or people who just happen to be tuning in without knowing the sport will see him and have much the same reaction my friend did especially considering all the hype surrounding him which even non-MMA fans have heard ad nauseum. Dana White and the guys know he isn't the greatest out there or even close, but he will put money in their pockets. That is why even after all the crap Dana said about him in the past, he's a part of the UFC now.

I had a pestering feeling that TUF was using Kimbo for what he is: A marketing tool. Though Kimbo is most deffinitely a massive tool, the flaw in my theory is this: He's fighting next week on TUF. My initial hypothesis was that the show would save Kimbo for one of the last fights, allowing ample training time with a world class coach. Anyhoo, we'll see what happens!

bring that up because the guys that run Zuffa are no fools. As long as there's some kind of public interest, Kimbo will get fights. So--I guess that the ratings from TUF will have a lot to do with what happens to him. Then we'll probably see some Kimbo outings aginst UFC bottom feeders and tomato cans until he finally sinks away to a regional fight circuit somewhere.

This was my point as well. I think win or lose on TUF you will see Kimbo fight in the UFC. He is a big draw to the YouTube crowd and people who really don't understand the fight game.

Dana White and the guys know he isn't the greatest out there or even close, but he will put money in their pockets. That is why even after all the crap Dana said about him in the past, he's a part of the UFC now.

Yup, but I gotta give it to Dana he did say a long time ago that they only way he'd allow Kimbo in the UFC is if he came on TUF. He stuck by his word.

This was my point as well. I think win or lose on TUF you will see Kimbo fight in the UFC. He is a big draw to the YouTube crowd and people who really don't understand the fight game.

Yup, but I gotta give it to Dana he did say a long time ago that they only way he'd allow Kimbo in the UFC is if he came on TUF. He stuck by his word.

Or he may have had this planned a long time ago. The guy knows how to make money.

Rampage has apparently retired. After his little argument with Dana about the Movie/Evans fight, Rampage has decided to call it quits stating that he can't fight forever and he needs to find other long term means to take care of him and his family. I definitely see him fighting again, but this is still sad news. I was a big fan and really enjoyed watching him fight. I also would have loved to see him take on both Evans and Machida.

Rampage has apparently retired. After his little argument with Dana about the Movie/Evans fight, Rampage has decided to call it quits stating that he can't fight forever and he needs to find other long term means to take care of him and his family. I definitely see him fighting again, but this is still sad news. I was a big fan and really enjoyed watching him fight. I also would have loved to see him take on both Evans and Machida.

It's definitely a loss for the Light Heavy Division. I enjoyed watching him fight, too.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Actually both Rampage and Dana have made statements about him fighting next spring.

I definitely hope to see him back. I think he's one of the funniest most down to Earth fighters I've seen from TUF shows. He's hilarious and has no problems making fun of himself or having other people do it for him. I also liked a comment he made one time saying something like, "I'm not the smartest person in the world, but when I get in the ring, I'm a genius!" I thought it was funny and also true. I think his fighting skills are very underrated. People give him credit for having power, but forget things like him being able to hold his own wrestling with Dan Henderson. Even Hendo mentioned afterwards that he didn't expect his wrestling to be so good. Also he has only been submitted once and it was early in his career back in 2001 against Sakuraba who is not a slouch by any means. This is considering he has gone against some very reputable jiu-jitsu practitioners. If he does feel the need to retire and stay gone I hope he fights Evans and Machida first.

I don't really follow MMA and know virtually nothing about it, but I thought this was an interesting story.
http://www.ajc.com/sports/herschel-challenges-ufc-president-151101.html?cxntlid=thbz_hm

I know Herschel's entry into the sport was mentioned in this thread last week, but I'd be curious to know what some of you guys who know the fight game think about this situation and Herschel's chance for (or lack thereof) for success.

Herschel vs. Dana? I wish. Dana loves, and I mean LOVES money. Money is his guide. But there is no way in H to the ell Dana would ever step into any ring for any amount of money... ESPECIALLY if it was for charity. However, if he did (which he won't) I think the 50 year old codger, Herschel would embarrass Dana.

As far as Herschel fighting Pros? Bad idea.

At the end of the first round I thought at first, "hey, why didn't Herb stop it?" then I thought, does a fight get stopped if you are beating the hell out of your OWN stomach??

If he does feel the need to retire and stay gone I hope he fights Evans and Machida first.

I'm sure he will. The A-team will probably flop and with it his hopes of movie stardom. He'll fight again.

I don't really follow MMA and know virtually nothing about it, but I thought this was an interesting story.
http://www.ajc.com/sports/herschel-challenges-ufc-president-151101.html?cxntlid=thbz_hm

I know Herschel's entry into the sport was mentioned in this thread last week, but I'd be curious to know what some of you guys who know the fight game think about this situation and Herschel's chance for (or lack thereof) for success.

Herschel might have a chance against Dana but younger legitimate pros? Bad idea. Look what happened when Jose Canseco tried his hand at MMA. Steroids and muscles just aren't enough.

Herschel vs. Dana? I wish. Dana loves, and I mean LOVES money. Money is his guide. But there is no way in H to the ell Dana would ever step into any ring for any amount of money... ESPECIALLY if it was for charity. However, if he did (which he won't) I think the 50 year old codger, Herschel would embarrass Dana.

As far as Herschel fighting Pros? Bad idea.

+1

I won't see the Kimbo fight until next week. We are one week behind here.

My thoughts on Kimbo/Nelson

I wasn't especially impressed with Nelson, he couldn't bang with Kimbo, not that I thought he would, but once he got the take down Kimbo had no idea how to get out of the crucifix. It appeared from next week's spoilers that despite his loss, Kimbo will be fighting again.

I don't think that I'm spoiling anything to say that the Kimbo-Nelson fight was a big waste of time. I watched it on mmatko.com this morning and I'll never get that 11 minutes back. The only thing I came away with was an increased appreciation for the variety of forms that the human body can take. Seeing those two guys in the ring together was like a trip down memory lane to the early freakshow days of open MMA events. "Hey look--it's bouncer versus biker night down at the Iron Horse!" Maybe Dana will sign Butterbean and Tank so that he can add their upcoming fight to the card at UFC 104.

Last edited:
Top Bottom