What's new

The MMA Thread

I'm not a Lesnar fan, but I will give him some credit. I think his athleticism, especially for someone his size, is amazing. I also think he has extremely good wrestling skills and is a powerful striker. He also didn't have that big of a weight advantage over Mir or Herring. Both of them fought him at about 250. Couture he had a large size advantage over. He still has a lot to learn though and he is so new to the sport that it's hard to tell what will happen with him. The Carwin fight will hopefully provide some answers.

True, he is very athletic. 15 lbs over Herring isn't huge, but is signifigant, and I think Mir was at 240 or so. Mir could have done better, but I don't think he takes his conditioning seriously enough. He even said he hates cardio.

I wonder what the difference is between weigh-in day and actual fighting weight for most of those guys.

True, he is very athletic. 15 lbs over Herring isn't huge, but is signifigant, and I think Mir was at 240 or so. Mir could have done better, but I don't think he takes his conditioning seriously enough. He even said he hates cardio.

I wonder what the difference is between weigh-in day and actual fighting weight for most of those guys.

The second fight Mir was about 250 the first he was like 243. Who of us doesn't hate cardio?:lol:

I bet a man Lesnar's size is at least 20 libs heaver on fight day--maybe more. I've heard that Lesnar weighed about 285 when he stepped into the ring with Mir. That would give him close to a 40 lb weight advantage.

Forgot to mention, I saw an ad showing that Mariusz Pudzianowski is now scheduled to fight Marcin Najman in his first MMA fight in December. Najman is apparently a boxer. I'm not even sure what fighting promotion this is as it seems to be an Eastern European organization so no watching live on tv, but it should end up on the net eventually. I'm interested to see what happens. He certainly draws some interest, but i don't think it will be long term. I don't see him leaving the juice alone and dedicating himself to MMA enough to make him a legitamite contender in an organization like the UFC.

Link?

I still don't think much of Lesnar. As I've said before, his weight advantage seems to be his main asset. He's a beast, true, but I'm interested to see how the fight with Carwin comes out. Carwin is also huge, so I'm interested to see Lesnar against someone he doesn't have 25 pounds on.

Pudzianowski will be hard-pressed to get completely off the juice. I don't see that happening and him committing to MMA either.

Brock is an amazing athlete. Personally I think most people's disdain for him stem from his days as a heel in WWE. I also think his heel like actions early on in the UFC didn't help. Brock's primary asset, hands down, is his wrestling. Sure his monstrous size doesn't hurt, but he moves like he's a full 100lbs lighter than he really is.

I don't see Pudzianowski having much of an MMA career, but I guess we'll find out if the fight happens.

The Carwin fight will hopefully provide some answers.

I think it will. Carwin gives up more size to Brock than most realize. He fights around 255 (10lbs under the max) and walks around only a little heavier. Brock is a full 2" shorter than Shane and struggles to get down to the 265 max which means despite Carwins massive size he is still quite a bit smaller than Brock. I've read that in Brock's UFC debut he topped 300lbs walking into the ring.

Either way I think/hope/want this to be a great fight regardless of who wins.

I've read several articles where they say Brock is typically between 290 and 305 by the time he walks into the ring.

The second fight Mir was about 250 the first he was like 243. Who of us doesn't hate cardio?:lol:

Seriously, I'll lift weights and spar all day, but I hate cardio.

I bet a man Lesnar's size is at least 20 libs heaver on fight day--maybe more. I've heard that Lesnar weighed about 285 when he stepped into the ring with Mir. That would give him close to a 40 lb weight advantage.

Probably more from what I've read. Plus if you look at the percentage of water that most can shed to make weight and then add that to Brocks weigh in weight, he's like fighting a VW.

Brock is an amazing athlete. Personally I think most people's disdain for him stem from his days as a heel in WWE. I also think his heel like actions early on in the UFC didn't help.

I've been trying to think about why I don't like Brock. My first impulse is that my favorite fighters are ones who put their games together around Muay Thai and BJJ. But as soon as I thought that, I had to admit that I'm a huge Team Quest fan. Lindland, Henderson--those guys are great. The truth is that I just don't like him. He's worked his whole life to get that big, he's a tremendous athlete, a great wrestler and has a fantastic work ethic. I respect that. And I simply do not like him. At all. I don't think that any of the current challengers have much chance of beating him, but I would love to see somebody like Big Nog rock his world. Oh well--if past experience is any indication, somebody is going to come along who will beat him like a drum.

I don't hate cardio! I can respect Brock's athleticism, but like I said, I think his weight advantage makes a lot more difference than most want to admit. As someone who regularly wrestles with much larger people, I will tell you it sucks. Of course, improperly applied, it is as useless as any other misused advantage.

I've been trying to think about why I don't like Brock. My first impulse is that my favorite fighters are ones who put their games together around Muay Thai and BJJ. But as soon as I thought that, I had to admit that I'm a huge Team Quest fan. Lindland, Henderson--those guys are great. The truth is that I just don't like him. He's worked his whole life to get that big, he's a tremendous athlete, a great wrestler and has a fantastic work ethic. I respect that. And I simply do not like him. At all. I don't think that any of the current challengers have much chance of beating him, but I would love to see somebody like Big Nog rock his world. Oh well--if past experience is any indication, somebody is going to come along who will beat him like a drum.

I'll clarify as well. I don't like Brock personally. What I mean is when someone says who do you like or who do you support Brock never comes up. However, I totally respect his work ethic and athleticism.

I don't hate cardio! I can respect Brock's athleticism, but like I said, I think his weight advantage makes a lot more difference than most want to admit. As someone who regularly wrestles with much larger people, I will tell you it sucks. Of course, improperly applied, it is as useless as any other misused advantage.

Exactly!

I hate cardio. Not really running, but circuits and wrestling/boxing/kickboxing for extended periods to improve endurance. Not fun for me. I'll take fight pain over cardio pain any day. I was also a wrestler and I wrestled at 119 so needless to say pretty much everyone I trained against was bigger than me. Even now in the gym when I spar everyone is bigger than me as I'm only 165 so I'm used to fighting bigger guys and, when they're skilled, it does suck. Many of them don't know squat and assume that because they're big they can fight. They're just as easy to beat as the little guys who can't fight. Brock has a size advantage over pretty much everyone and I'm sure it helps, but it helps because he has skill to go along with his size. I would love to see the UFC break the HW division into HW and Super HW abd break it around 235 to at least keep the size mismatches down.

Did anyone see yesterday's fight night and TUF show? I really liked the Quarry vs. Credeur and Huerta vs. Maynard fights. A lot of heart showed in those fights. The TUF show wasn't as good as I expected and I hope the season gets better. I like Rampage, but I think his picking Kimbo first and choosing the bigger guys was a mistake that will cause him to lose most of the fights. I also heard that at the end of the season Rampage and Rashad won't be fighting due to Rampage being in the A-Team movie as B.A. Baracus. If true, that is sad news. I was really looking forward to their fight.

I can't believe Huerta didn't tap. That was a crazy twist, but he must be flexible as Hell. The Quarry-Credeur was a great fight, a lot of heart on display. Tim was taking shots like a college freshman and still standing. I was disgusted with TUF fight. Abe did nothing. The other guy did the same thing every time they got to their feet. Abe looked like he was scared ****l***.

Why it wouldn't be 40 pounds, I would bet Thiago Alves weighed quite a few more pounds than GSP in their bout as well and they weighed in the same.

I won't get to see the first episode of TUF for a few more weeks. I also missed the last Fight Night

For some reason, the timer that I set on my DVR didn't kick in and I didn't record Fight Night. When I checked the DVR last night I was bitterly disappointed. Oh well--I guess that I can find it on line somewhere.

As for TUF, I just can't stand it anymore. I didn't watch last season, and I probably won't watch this one either. Too much Real World action for me.

Anybody ordering UFC 103? I don't think that I'm going to buy the PPV, but I might go down to watch it at my friendly neighborhood sports bar.

For some reason, the timer that I set on my DVR didn't kick in and I didn't record Fight Night. When I checked the DVR last night I was bitterly disappointed. Oh well--I guess that I can find it on line somewhere.

As for TUF, I just can't stand it anymore. I didn't watch last season, and I probably won't watch this one either. Too much Real World action for me.

Anybody ordering UFC 103? I don't think that I'm going to buy the PPV, but I might go down to watch it at my friendly neighborhood sports bar.

That sucks! I don't dig the Real World aspect of TUF at all. Typically when it comes on I watch something else and occasionally check in to see who is fighting and watch the fights only.

I'm going to miss 103. Luckily it will re-air here on Monday so I'll see it then.

What are your thoughts on cutting weight?My thoughts bring me to the conclusion that cutting weight is cheating.I think the guys cutting 20-30lbs to get into a smaller weight class is the same as taking illegal substances to get an edge on their opponent.Fighters should be made to fight at their natural weight and not be allowed to dehydrate them selves in order to fight smaller guys who don't cut weight.I know the rules don't have a issue with this and its probably just me.I say that they should fight on the same day they weigh in.If they want to dehydrate themselves to get in that weight class then they should be made to fight in that state of dehydration.What do you guys think on the subject of cutting weight?

I'll probably be ordering it (UFC 103), I usually have a bunch of friends over and make up a big batch of chilli or something, and everyone pitches in a few bucks, it works out well and ends up cheaper than going to a bar.

Although there's not really any fights that I'm super excited to see, granted I'm not quite the super mma fan that some of my friends are... That being said, I'm still stoked to eat chilli and watch people get pummeled.

What are your thoughts on cutting weight?My thoughts bring me to the conclusion that cutting weight is cheating.I think the guys cutting 20-30lbs to get into a smaller weight class is the same as taking illegal substances to get an edge on their opponent.Fighters should be made to fight at their natural weight and not be allowed to dehydrate them selves in order to fight smaller guys who don't cut weight.I know the rules don't have a issue with this and its probably just me.I say that they should fight on the same day they weigh in.If they want to dehydrate themselves to get in that weight class then they should be made to fight in that state of dehydration.What do you guys think on the subject of cutting weight?

Cutting weight has a long history. Wrestlers have been doing it since forever. Some guys are very good at it and others aren't. Some guys like to walk around close to their fighting weight and others don't. I think that it would be impossible to police a ban on it and forcing fighters to fight dehydrated would be potentially dangerous. It is what it is--I don't think that it's that big of a deal.

I'll probably be ordering it (UFC 103), I usually have a bunch of friends over and make up a big batch of chilli or something, and everyone pitches in a few bucks, it works out well and ends up cheaper than going to a bar.

Although there's not really any fights that I'm super excited to see, granted I'm not quite the super mma fan that some of my friends are... That being said, I'm still stoked to eat chilli and watch people get pummeled.

Normally I wouldn't go out either, but I have a gift coupon from the bar. I might as well enjoy a free burger with the free MMA.

Cutting weight has a long history. Wrestlers have been doing it since forever. Some guys are very good at it and others aren't. Some guys like to walk around close to their fighting weight and others don't. I think that it would be impossible to police a ban on it and forcing fighters to fight dehydrated would be potentially dangerous. It is what it is--I don't think that it's that big of a deal.

I bet if weigh-ins were on the same day as the fight, folks would be less tempted to cut huge amounts of weight.

...I also heard that at the end of the season Rampage and Rashad won't be fighting due to Rampage being in the A-Team movie as B.A. Baracus. If true, that is sad news. I was really looking forward to their fight.

That's lame, they need to fight... They've already commenced the junk talking and we're only one show in to the TUF season.

On the other hand... There's going to be an A-Team movie and Rampage is BA Baracus??!! :w00t: :w00t:

Top Bottom