What's new

The Great Debate: Allen Edmonds vs Alden

Alright, Joel! Happy New Year! Thanks for the update. As you can tell by my responses in this thread, I've been eager to hear. One quick question: how much do you weigh? Thanks again. My Christmas list is beginning to come into focus

I'm a little over 6'2 - 190lbs.

I own several of each and like them all. I always thought Alden was a couple steps above AE in terms of construction and quality, but not so much in design.

I just looked at the Allen Edmonds' website. It looks as if the Dundee chukka has been replaced by the "Dundee 2" - a slightly modified version with a deeper "Budapester" style toe box (NOT an improvement IMO). There is no mention of shell cordovan anywhere on the site as far as I can see. Maybe AE has ended shell? Maybe it's only a special order? Who knows. It makes this review all the more interesting and possibly moot whatever Joel decides since only those who already have the AEs will ever have the chance to make their own decision.

Anyone know what's going on at AE?

You can pick up some on shoebank right now.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443229558.096136.jpg

Last edited:
I have worn the same two pairs of Allen Edmonds, Black Walton, Brown Bradley for the last 20 years. They get resoled when needed, polished when needed, look and feel incredible. Never owned Alden's, probably never will. Love my Allen Edmonds.

There are some AE Freiburgs and Sauk Drive at the Shoe Bank in my size -Fat. Can only swing at one pair, anyone with insight? I know the last of the Sauk Drive will fit.

I would be happier with either. The extra height of the Sauk Drive won't matter. I don't cuff my jeans. Both are the same color. The Freiburg is a plain toe, the Sauk a brogue.

The primary purpose is replace a pair of cheap brogue style side zippered boots I got at a DSW. They are cheap boots but work for now- just waiting for them to blow completely. I wear them most of the time on my days off and not wearing kitchen shoes. I have real dress shoes so these are for fancier casual.

I wasn't crazy with the look of the Sauk drives. Though their product photography does no justice to their shoes. I think they would be a good sub for the long branch as long as you like that russet brown color. I love my Long Branches, so I think these should stand up just as well.

I almost pulled the trigger on the Frieburgs, but I'm looking for a pair of black boots right now, and they are only in that same russet color.

Never heard back via email from Wisconsin. so I called and got a pair ordered.

The Ohio outlet store has a pair of the Freiburg and they emailed me back within a half hour. Was weird but the phone transaction worked fine. Hopefully I have them on Tuesday or Wednesday.

All pictures I have seen of the Sauk Dr's do not give this boot justice! I'm a customer for life now! Not sure why these are seconds...

Will try to get some pictures tomorrow. The lady and I are going out and I will be sporting some new boots!

Not sure why these are seconds...
This is the same thing I thought when I used the shoebank! the only blemish I could find was a nick on the sole of the shoe....needless to say, that nick blended right in as soon as I put them on and wore them the first time!

I've ordered off the shoe bank three times. Two of them were the same model (exchanged for a different size) which was on clearance and had no defects. Both were supposed to have V-tread soles but the first was V-tread and the second had leather. The other item was a pair of Bleeker Street boots that were also on clearance but there is a crease in the cap toe and wrinkles in the leather on both boots. Not the end of the world but disappointing. My $50 Stafford boots had none of those issues, FWIW...

I've ordered off the shoe bank three times. Two of them were the same model (exchanged for a different size) which was on clearance and had no defects. Both were supposed to have V-tread soles but the first was V-tread and the second had leather. The other item was a pair of Bleeker Street boots that were also on clearance but there is a crease in the cap toe and wrinkles in the leather on both boots. Not the end of the world but disappointing. My $50 Stafford boots had none of those issues, FWIW...
I did call in my order. When I was talking to the AE Salesman, he told me he was going to look and make sure that there wasn't anything that was crazy wrong with them. Perhaps he was being overly helpful, but I got the sense that if you asked the salesman to look the shoes over before finalizing the sale, that they were allowed to do this.

I did call in my order. When I was talking to the AE Salesman, he told me he was going to look and make sure that there wasn't anything that was crazy wrong with them. Perhaps he was being overly helpful, but I got the sense that if you asked the salesman to look the shoes over before finalizing the sale, that they were allowed to do this.
That's usually the case with the stores. If you have to ever get anything from the factory, they have so much inventory that it's hard for them to check.

I'm new to the forum and intrigued by this comparison. I see that the original post was a year ago, but I haven't seen the follow up of the results. Could someone provide the link or direct me to subsequent articles?

I'm new to the forum and intrigued by this comparison. I see that the original post was a year ago, but I haven't seen the follow up of the results. Could someone provide the link or direct me to subsequent articles?
Jb:
I've been waiting almost a year. Joel, the tester, gives an update at post #78. Problem is these shoes just don't wear out. But the early verdict is Alden.

Top Bottom