What's new

The Great Canadian Pass Around Box 5 (Signup + the round) CTB5

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
How’s the progress mechanism? I heard they are easy to misadjust.

Any chance you can post a few pictures with a blade loaded (on min and max) to see the difference?

How does the head of the razor feel if you adjust it on 3? I mean, the knob is loosen to allow a bigger blade gap. Is there anything loose of moving? Any chance it might slip to 4 while shaving?

I don’t over tighten my Merkur 38c but if it’s not properly closed, it can potentially be dangerous.

An adjustable razor always interested me but I always ended up on the same setting.

mcee_sharp

MCEAPWINMOLQOVTIAAWHAMARTHAEHOAIDIAMRHDAE
@linty1 and @Luc I'll put together some thoughts later. This is my second Prog (first was short) and they've both been great.

VERY cheap on Amazon.ca compared to the rest of the world too, e.g. short handle is 68 CAD (!)

Last edited:

mcee_sharp

First time with any of these products, notably a GEM of any type. I think AC safeties prepped me a BIT, but definitely not entirely.

XTG pass was drama free and my technique got me close to my XTG pass from a Vector for example. ATG pass was generally great, with the exception of a collection of weepers on my chin. I can definitely see this being a great format with more practice however.

The Old Spice Fresh (?) is great!

1000009675.jpg

mcee_sharp

How’s the progress mechanism? I heard they are easy to misadjust.
I haven't noted this, I THINK on occasion that the adjustment ring may not be perfectly aligned out of the box sometimes, this can be remedied however. Also, it's a continuous adjustment, so you can set it between numbers on the scale. Once it's at your setting the knob remains firmly in place.
Any chance you can post a few pictures with a blade loaded (on min and max) to see the difference?
Will do! I've heard others say that this is one adjustable where they can actually feel the difference between each value.
How does the head of the razor feel if you adjust it on 3? I mean, the knob is loosen to allow a bigger blade gap. Is there anything loose of moving? Any chance it might slip to 4 while shaving?
It's got a spring in the handle and everything remains tensioned at each setting. Sometimes for my first pass (XTG) I'll "overclock" it one setting past 5 and it remains snug.

For me, XTG at 5, or 5+1 and ATG at 3.5.
I don’t over tighten my Merkur 38c but if it’s not properly closed, it can potentially be dangerous.
I think you'd have to "overclock" the Progress well into insane territory before the spring stopped providing tension.
An adjustable razor always interested me but I always ended up on the same setting.
I feel that the Prog definitely provides different shaves, at different levels. I would never attempt my first pass setting for my last pass.

It's really a great razor. It puts a beautiful bend in the blade and even when using very sharp blades that would irritate me in other razors, the shaves are very close, and irritation free. There's blade feel, but a "safe" blade feel, because it slices through the whiskers vs being dragged across them.

If you like auditory feedback, you'll love this, it makes a lovely sound as it cuts, and conversely it's quiet when there's nothing left to cut.

I'll ping back with any other thoughts I have and post those pictures as well.

First time with any of these products, notably a GEM of any type. I think AC safeties prepped me a BIT, but definitely not entirely.

XTG pass was drama free and my technique got me close to my XTG pass from a Vector for example. ATG pass was generally great, with the exception of a collection of weepers on my chin. I can definitely see this being a great format with more practice however.

The Old Spice Fresh (?) is great!

View attachment 1825394
Be careful with that MMOC!! I didn't seat the blade properly and made hamburger out of my face!! 🤣 Ok, it wasn't that bad and I agree with you that it shines ATG!

mcee_sharp

Be careful with that MMOC!! I didn't seat the blade properly and made hamburger out of my face!! 🤣 Ok, it wasn't that bad and I agree with you that it shines ATG!
I can see how it could unseat! I was mindful this morning as I played with loading, unloading. The pin is definitely shallow.

mcee_sharp

I haven't noted this, I THINK on occasion that the adjustment ring may not be perfectly aligned out of the box sometimes, this can be remedied however
Just to add to this - this doesn't affect that X degrees of rotation results in Y mm of gap increase/decrease however.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
@mcee_sharp Thanks for the detailed information on the Merkur. I should've known that German engineering would kick and a spring (or something) would hold everything together.

I'm wondering how long that spring will take to become "softer" or less "tensed" to hold the cap in place. I think that keeping the razor completely closed when not in use would help the compression of the spring. But then, I'm no mechanical genius!

I know that back in the day (probably still exists), some would replace the plastic knob of their Merkur Progress and call it a Mergress. Like my 38c, there's probably a ring holding the knob in place (but don't do anything to your razor based on my imagination).

mcee_sharp

@mcee_sharp Thanks for the detailed information on the Merkur. I should've known that German engineering would kick and a spring (or something) would hold everything together.

I'm wondering how long that spring will take to become "softer" or less "tensed" to hold the cap in place. I think that keeping the razor completely closed when not in use would help the compression of the spring. But then, I'm no mechanical genius!

I know that back in the day (probably still exists), some would replace the plastic knob of their Merkur Progress and call it a Mergress. Like my 38c, there's probably a ring holding the knob in place (but don't do anything to your razor based on my imagination).

No problem!

I haven't heard much mention of the spring, and lifespan. Also, I'm not sure what replacement would entail. The razor can be partially disassembled, but the spring stays in the handle. I don't think Mergress or Oprgress parts are easy to get any longer unfortunately. The OE knob has grown on me though!

mcee_sharp

All from the box again today, Vie Long Horsey, Lebanese cream, Muhle R41 and Epsilon Scottish Spirits.

I hadn't used a horse hair brush before, I found it similar to my boar brushes (Omega). A bit of scritch initially, but not too much and then a bit of bristle feel after that - enjoyable.

The cream performed well, a little slug on my palm went a long way and I sensed a bit of cooling. This was my first go around with an R41, the internets made me think it would be a beast, but I didn't find it overly aggressive. Definitely some aggression, but conversely I didn't find it super efficient (at least after this single use).

Epsilon smells good, but I may have been heavy handed according to my wife :D

7.jpg

mcee_sharp

Took the straight for a spin this afternoon. Just a WTG pass after a strop. My first go around with a straight, went well and just a weeper on the chin. Generally qualified as an acceptable WTG pass, but DEFINITELY room for improvement. Not nearly as intimidating as I thought it would be once I started.

Most difficult part was changing grip to throughout the shave depending on where I was shaving. Will use for my first pass again tomorrow.

Stick and brush also from box.

105 @Balin

1000009694.jpg

Attachments

• 1000009694.jpg
    1000009694.jpg
    960.2 KB · Views: 5
Top Bottom