What's new

The British Gillette Aristocrat Junior 1948-1949. User Impressions And Comments Please.

I wish i could find these bakelite boxes, the blue one or the white one, for my Junior #53... Very difficult to find !

@Alum Ladd : i saw that you enjoy your Junior #48, a excellent TTO indeed.:cool: But did you get one these bakelite cases with your razor ?
It is a good protection for the razor when you are in travel...
When I got this there were two listings for AJ's in good condition. There were 2-3 others (?) that looked very beat up and over-priced so I skipped them.

There was the 48 in a very nice complete travel set, and a guy was selling a "complete No 48 set" for I think £100.

It had the blue box and the 2 blade banks, except the razor was not the 48 AJ. So it was a mismatched set. I checked all the photos carefully and crossed checked with Achim's site. Looked to be an end capped 1949 or 50 model.

So I went for this one as it's much more rare. And I saved £50!

This No.48 came in a travel set and it looks like it was sold that way. The loop holding the razor is perfect sized and it is complete with a usable boar brush and soap stick holder, and a strange mirror. All top-notch.
IMG_20240205_203314898.jpg

Another view
IMG_20240205_203352695.jpg

Looks to be about 1948 vintage. I suspect all pieces are contemporary with the razor.

The seller mentioned that they had never seen an AJ in a travel set.

IMG_20240205_203734913.jpg

I may use the entire set as is. It's good to go.

The brush knot seems well seated and secure. No hair loss. I will be giving it a test soak and if all goes well, re-using it. The razor and set was obviously well used together, and very well maintained. There is a remnant of soap in the tube. Nice faint flowery scent still.

Last edited:
Those grooming kits are a great source of razors and shaving gear. Nice find!

It had the blue box and the 2 blade banks, except the razor was not the 48 AJ. So it was a mismatched set. I checked all the photos carefully and crossed checked with Achim's site. Looked to be an end capped 1949 or 50 model.
The no 48 Aristocrat Junior set was sold for two-ish years and includes both 1948 and 1949 AJ models.
They were also sold in no.49 and no.51 sets too, I'm fairly sure the 1948 model never made it to the no.53 or Canadian Rocket sets but you never know. The year and set numbers matching is completely coincidental.

Both models can come in a pale or bright blue case with chrome blade banks. The white case only shows up in Australia but there's a possibility it was sold elsewhere.
full

image-jpg.594382

I think they're made from UF plastic, which seems to disappear from consumer goods during WW2, only black and brown PF plastic (aka Bakelite) shows up. So we only get narrow widow, either side of WW2, for these lovely light Gillette boxes. The white cases could've been left over stock from 1941, ditto instructions.
I don't think Souplex manufacturered them, the colours are a bit different, maybe Birksby's?

Great info there @creamgravy :thumbup1:

The No.48 sets I've seen with the 48 razor have the instruction leaflet with "Super Speed (Gillette) One Piece Razor" on the title 'page' uppermost. I suppose that is technically correct as the 48 has the Super Speed TTO action.

The 49 sets seem to have just have "Gillette One Piece Razor" written, and they are indeed of the rocket type.

There was another titled instruction sheet as well but I can't recall the wording

I seem to recall a post about the confusion in AJ instruction leaflet titles included in early AJ sets. It may have been on an excellent thread "Comprehensive Guide To The Aristocrat Junior Razor" on the Shaving Room forum.

Should have taken a screen shot of that set, believe it was the lighter blue case.

Anyways, I'm very happy with that 48, and if a matching empty case should ever come up..

Wonderful info as always, and greatly helpful to myself and others in continually learning about these beauties.

Last edited:
Top Bottom