What's new

The US Gillette 1941 Ranger Tech. User Information and Comments Please.

Well Gentlemen, I am homing in on my last two vintages for my modest collection.

The 1941 Ranger Tech has always been one of the most emotionally charged and desirable razors on my wish list. It's short production run, and the fate and stories of It's owners have always fascinated me.

I would like to discuss in this thread the shaving characteristics, performance and quirks if any of this type.

Any informative posts and information on the Ranger Tech by current users would be gratefully received.

Specifically, do see users sometimes noting a slightly more efficient shaving experience as opposed to the 1940's Super Speed? I have a 1948-9 SS, and I find it a fantastic razor. Does the Ranger Tech provide any additional efficiency in your experience?

Please note, I have no interest in moderns, so if we could just discuss the specific type, that would be appreciated.

Thanks as always!

Last edited:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
If the Ranger Tech or the Milord shaves differently from a 40's Super Speed it's the baseplate. There's a crease or trough running along the safety bar in the later models that Gillette put in there, perhaps to change the gap or possibly clear clogging of lather and stubble. It's also the same with Regent Tech/Aristocrats through 1946, early '47 I think.

full

I have a '41 and a '46 with endcaps (and a dropped knob that needs fixing) and both Milords as well and I like them all but probably pick out a nice Super Speed instead for some reason. If I want to use the non-creased and smoothly curved early baseplate I grab a very early Aristocrat I replated in nickel years ago.

You'll just have to try one of these early TTO Gillettes and see for yourself. Our faces and beards are all different.

A lot of the Rangers I see were worked hard and ended up thrashed. A Milord can be found in less beat-up condition I think.

full

This 1940 Milord lost all its plating :sad: A nickel replate and voila, a Ranger!
full

Good day, Sir!

I do have and use a Gillette Ranger Tech. I am a hoarder and own maybe too many razors. But I use all of them, in my shaving rotation, so I don't spend too much time using only one. I didn't notice though, any big difference in shaving quality, compared with the Super Speed. Just another enjoyable vintage razor. A good shaver! Definitely, you wouldn't regret buying and using one.

I have a replated 1941 Ranger Tech and love it. More efficient than a red tip and smoother. I haven't used my ndc super speed much yet but the Ranger seems similar but again better. And definitely a lot of historical significance with the Ranger. You need one, of course. 😀

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I have a couple of 41 rangers. They do feel a wee bit more effective than a regular SS. I really like them a lot. I feel the same way about the 1947 SS as well. Just a bit more is all. But all Super Speeds are all in the same ballpark relatively. All great razors. Including the late 60’s black handle Super Speed too. If you have not tried one of the USA open comb TTO variants, be sure to try a Senator or Sheraton as well.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Is there a difference? I only thought the end cads were It.

You're right. I should have explained that you can take 10 Gillette razors of the same model and get different results. This in my opinion is due to operater damage or quality control etc.

Thank goodness. I was thinking I’d have to be lusting after a 1946 Ranger now. But I can stick with my two ‘41’s and be fine. Crisis averted! 😎

Thank goodness. I was thinking I’d have to be lusting after a 1946 Ranger now. But I can stick with my two ‘41’s and be fine. Crisis averted! 😎
I have a 46 milord done in nickel that passes well for a Ranger. Have a 41 as well that has the milord poor gold plating where it all disappeared. I’m struggling to debate replating or selling but it didn’t get any bites last attempt

Around the bottom of the knob my '41 Ranger says, "Pat. No's on Package." It appears this may be the case for the '46 and the Milord as well, but I'm not sure. I do know it delivers a great shave for me every time. I will say a modern razor like my Tatara delivers the same results and the shave itself is more comfortable with the Tatara. But who can touch the sense of heritage that a '41 Ranger has - only produced for a couple of months just in time for Christmas gifts. Then Pearl Harbor changed everything. The Gillette assembly line and production on the '41 was stopped in favor of military contracts for the troops. A very cool razor to have but only if you know the story.

IMG_9737.jpeg

IMG_9738.jpeg

Ranger 1.jpg
Ranger 2.jpg
Ranger 3.jpg

Here's my '41 Ranger. I agree it is a tiny bit more efficient than a 40's SS but not much, a different blade would probably make as much different to me. It is a very nice shaver. Mine is a little strange in that the head portion seems to have missed a step while being manufactured. I have seen a few other photographs with the head unplated but so far I don't know if was a thing or not.

Top Bottom