What's new

Tell me about this GEM 1912 razor I just purchased for $4.99

@Psychtec , so the 1912 squat head is your favorite and you find the head significantly different from your 1912 with the Bakelite baton handle?

The threads on my squat head 1912 match the threads on my 1912 Damaskeenes. They also interchange pretty well with my two 1914 Little Lather Catchers. The squat head is marked Gem on the back.

All my other 1912s (Gem, E-R, English E-R, Star, Treet, Gem Junior) interchange. The handles have various metal finishes and 'knurlings', and include three Bakelite batons and one skinny Bakelite.

The 1924 Shovelheads have their own thread dimension, but they all seem to interchange with each other.

Also, my @GAW9576 adapter fits the convention 1912s, not the squat head, Damaskeenes, 1914s, or 1924s.
Tanuki

I think I made an error. The Bakelite handle I have that I like so much is from a 1912 GEM Jr.

I only own three razor types:

1. 1924 ER Shovel head
2. 1912 GEM Jr
3. 1912 GEM

The handles that are interchangeable is the:

1. 1924 &
2. 1912 GEM Jr.

I use my Bakelite when shaving with either.

I want an adapter so I can use the Bakelite handle with the 1912 GEM.

My apologies for any confusion.

never-stop-learning & Frito Ray:

I enjoy your humor.

Attachments

• IMG_4456.jpeg
    IMG_4456.jpeg
    710.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4451.jpeg
    IMG_4451.jpeg
    834.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4399.jpeg
    IMG_4399.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4394.jpeg
    IMG_4394.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4395.jpeg
    IMG_4395.jpeg
    981.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4393.jpeg
    IMG_4393.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4391.jpeg
    IMG_4391.jpeg
    1,018.7 KB · Views: 1
Tanuki

Your are giving me the education I have been wanting. Let me clarify so I get it right.

My razor: 1912 GEM “squat head” is a smaller, travel sized razor. That is the reason the head and the handle are smaller in size and length than other regular sized 1912 GEM’s with bigger heads and longer handles?

Sounds like you are saying all of the following razor types have razor heads that are interchangeable with the “Bakelite” fat handle I enjoy using so much:

1. 1912 Damaskeene
2. 1914 Little Latcher Catcher
3. 1924 ER Shovel head
4. 1912 GEM-regular size?
5. All other 1912’s (US/British) GEMS, Stars, Treets, GEM Jr’s

I will look into contacting @GAW9576 to see if an adapter could be made so I can use my 1912 GEM “squat head” razor with my go to “Bakelite” fat handle.

Did it get everything correct?

Thank you so very much.

Sorry, I meant to say that only the 'regular' 1912s can use the baton handle. I was surprised that your Shovelheads fit on the baton, so I re-tested. The baton goes onto my Shovelheads more smoothly than my Shovelhead handles go onto my regular 1912 heads.

I remain confident that Damaskeene 1912s, my squat head (and yours) and 1914s all interchange well. So maybe there were only two different threadings, smaller and larger.

My own suspicion is that the squat head 1912 was made just after the Damaskeenes were phased out and before the 'regular' 1912s took over. The 1914 Little Lather Catcher may have been made before the 'regular' 1912s, too. And then the '24 Shovelheads came after that. But the regular 1912s and 1912 Juniors went on for a very long time.

That would make the smaller thread standard the 'early' thread and the larger thread standard the 'late' thread.

But, anyway...

Here is an alternative to get a baton attached to your squat head. I recently turned a black walnut baton handle for standard M5 DE heads, dimensions based on the Gem baton.
IMG_4916.jpeg

I could make you a wooden baton. Instead of pressing in a female M5 connector, I would drill it out deep enough so the entire 1912 squat handle could be pressed in. It's not a big project on the lathe.

To get the hole right you would probably need to mail me the squat head handle. I have drill bits at 1/64" intervals. Or you could specify the diameter and depth of hole you wanted. If you are interested, we can discuss the details. No charge of course, just a short, fun project on the lathe.

Sorry, I meant to say that only the 'regular' 1912s can use the baton handle. I was surprised that your Shovelheads fit on the baton, so I re-tested. The baton goes onto my Shovelheads more smoothly than my Shovelhead handles go onto my regular 1912 heads.

I remain confident that Damaskeene 1912s, my squat head (and yours) and 1914s all interchange well. So maybe there were only two different threadings, smaller and larger.

My own suspicion is that the squat head 1912 was made just after the Damaskeenes were phased out and before the 'regular' 1912s took over. The 1914 Little Lather Catcher may have been made before the 'regular' 1912s, too. And then the '24 Shovelheads came after that. But the regular 1912s and 1912 Juniors went on for a very long time.

That would make the smaller thread standard the 'early' thread and the larger thread standard the 'late' thread.

But, anyway...

Here is an alternative to get a baton attached to your squat head. I recently turned a black walnut baton handle for standard M5 DE heads, dimensions based on the Gem baton.
View attachment 1703355

I could make you a wooden baton. Instead of pressing in a female M5 connector, I would drill it out deep enough so the entire 1912 squat handle could be pressed in. It's not a big project on the lathe.

To get the hole right you would probably need to mail me the squat head handle. I have drill bits at 1/64" intervals. Or you could specify the diameter and depth of hole you wanted. If you are interested, we can discuss the details. No charge of course, just a short, fun project on the lathe.
Tanuki

I believe you are correct. The Damaskeene was the first 1912 GEM. All other models follow that, is my understanding.

The fat baton handle does fit well into the head of the 1924 ER Shovel head.

I would greatly appreciate that. By trade I have worked in the medical profession, psychiatry, in specific for about 30 years.

I know nothing about this type of work or what goes into it. I admire individuals like you who know about this.

How do I go about getting your mailing information and giving you mine to make this happen. You have made my day.

I have backed off on cruising vintage stores, mainly because I don't have that much time to give to it currently. Cruising for razors is relatively fast. 99% of them are in locked cases or have been stolen before I will ever see them.

For a while I would grab any 1912 that had a handle type different than those I had. @Psychtec I don't think I have your exact 1912 handle type.

I was not paying over $20 for any uncased razors. I have given away many SEs, especially MMOCs. $5-10 was typical pricing for decent user grade. $15 bucks bought something pretty nice or I skipped it. Pricing is definitely erratic and trending up. I don't buy online, except BST. And new SRs.

I use SE, DE, injector, and SR. No clam shells, hatchets, or axes.

Favorite? Injector for a fast shave. Slant DE or an SE for a super close shave. SR for an attentive luxury shave. Any vintage for nostalgia.

Tanuki

Where did your love of GEM single edge razors come from?

For me, for many years I shaved my face and head with an electric shaver. Shaving was chore I dreaded.

When I had the time, I used a Gillette Fusion. It was also looked at as a chore. An expensive one.

About 2 1/2 years ago, somehow I saw DE razors and blades and became curious about wet shaving. I purchased a cheap DE razor that came with a few DE blades. Shaving at this time seemed interesting. This is when I went online to learn all I could about wet shaving, razor types and blades.

At this time DE razors and blades did not give me the type of shave I thought I wanted. Also there were SO MANY DE razor types and DE blades to choose from. It was overwhelming. There had to be something else.

I am one, who doesn’t do well when given lots of choices and options. Give me a few of each and I am content.

I was on eBay and saw a SE Featherweight. I was intrigued. It was $5 and came with a few GEM SS blades. During my first shave I was hooked. Easy to use. Comfortable shave. Not to expensive. Inexpensive blades. Not many razor blade choices.

I received the shave I thought I wanted. I enjoyed using the SE razor type and the SE blade. There was one issue. The Featherweight was too light. I prefer heftier feel when shaving. I tried other SE’s:

1. MMOC
2. MMCP

The heft of the razors were right on, but theyboth were a tad bit too aggressive.

I tried a Shovel head. I said to myself 2 years ago, this is the one. For the last 2 years, the Shovel head with either PAL CS blades or GEM SS PTFE blades, were for me. Shaving became a new enjoyable hobby.

I said to myself, if it is not broken don’t fix it. I had no desire to try and other razors or blades. THAT WAS UNTIL A MONTH AGO.

I saw a 1912 GEM Jr with a fat Bakelite handle. I had to try the handle. The feel of the handle was what I was looking for and there was a bonus. The Bakelite handle fit my Shovel head perfectly and the GEM Jr provided an easier to use, more comfortable, smoother shave BUT was not aggressive/efficient enough for me.

My Shovel head and new Bakelite handle combination provide, comfortable, efficient shaves.

Because of Badger and Blade I purchased my $4.99 1912 GEM.

Now, the 1912 GEM with a PAL CS or GEM SS blade are my go to daily drivers. They’re is a big issue. I cannot use the Bakelite handle because the thread does not fit the head of my 1912 GEM.

You were nice enough to help me solve the issue by providing me with a fat baton like handle that will fit my 1912 GEM. I really appreciate what what you are doing for a stranger, like myself.

I cannot wait for my first shave with my 1912 GEM with the new fat baton like handle.

Thank you for the new journey.

I saw a 1912 GEM Jr with a fat Bakelite handle. I had to try the handle. The feel of the handle was what I was looking for and there was a bonus. The Bakelite handle fit my Shovel head perfectly and the GEM Jr provided an easier to use, more comfortable, smoother shave BUT was not aggressive/efficient enough for me...

Because of Badger and Blade I purchased my $4.99 1912 GEM.

Now, the 1912 GEM with a PAL CS or GEM SS blade are my go to daily drivers. They’re is a big issue. I cannot use the Bakelite handle because the thread does not fit the head of my 1912 GEM...

Are you saying your GEM 1912 squat head doesn't shave the same as the 1912 Junior? I thought all 1912 type designs shaved more or less the same. The main difference is the squat head is made more compact for travel.

I kind of like the idea of a slightly more aggressive 1912.

Where did your love of GEM single edge razors come from?
My mother had a Gem Featherweight, I always thought of it as a women's razor. My dad used Gillette adjustables. I started with a Schick injector then converted to DE when I was given my grandfather's Old Type. That hooked me on vintage. I dumped the Schick, bought a Merkur 36 slant as my alternative DE, and was simply a utilitarian shaver (with generic labeled Personna DE blades, Williams Mug, and a cheap drugstore boar) throughout my working life.

I did not discover that Gem and Ever-Ready razors were a huge brand for men until I retired and saw them in vintage stores and read about them on B&B. The diversity of designs was intriguing and the shave from rigid Gem blades sells itself.

I will get as much tung oil into this as I can in one weekend, then mail it off.
IMG_4989.jpeg
IMG_4990.jpeg

I spend a lot of time outside, which I think toughens up my face. Plus I wear a mustache and varying amounts of beard. Then I constantly vary the type and models of razors I use, as well as the shave interval, time spent shaving, prep process, and softgoods I use to shave.

The only consistency is that shaving almost always brightens my mood, true even before:
my kids grew up,
I shut down my business,
and I found time to be a shave (and lathe) geek.

Me time, baby!

Bottom line: I am, practically and emotionally, unable to make fine distinctions between one particular razor and its close cousin(s). I personally think that the 1924 E-R Shovelhead is more aggressive than the MMOC or any Micromatic. But my ability to distinguish among 1912s comes down to the differences in handle shape, weight, and grip.

The baton is a brilliant handle design. I am interested to find out from a Gem intensivist if the 'metal core wooden baton' is a good tweak.

NorthernSoul

All who reads this, share your experiences with shaving with either SE razor, including the preferred blade used.

Yes, I am saying that the “squat head” provides a different shaving experience than the GEM Jr.

BUT NOT BY MUCH!

I shave daily, face and head. Both are fun to use. With either razor, shaving does not feel like a chore.

They both provide the following type of shaving experience, with the “squat head” being preferred:

1. Easy to use.
2. Easy to find the right shaving angles.
3. Very comfortable
4. Very smooth
5. Mild-aggressive, but less so than the 1924 Shovel head
6. Very audible and very tactile
7. Very close
8. Little to no skin irritation several hours afterwards
9. No blade shifting
10. Very safe; does not feel like being nicked is an issue, while shaving

Both are good for the beginner and experienced shaver.

Squat head: curved top cap
Jr: flat top cap

Squat head: handle length short, comfortable to use; lot very slippery when wet
Jr: the fat baton handle is hands down my favorite

Squat head: slightly easier to clean

Razor type: I use a PAL Blue Carbon SS blade or a GEM PTFE SS blade

With both SE razors: 3-4 face (2 passes) and head (1 pass) shaves.

One cannot go wrong with either. I would give both a try.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
They cut your beard about as well as any Gem/Treet/EverSharp will. Just don’t use hardware store blades! Trust me, they may be great at cutting wood or fabric, but your face will look like a WW1 battlefield. If you decide you like a single edge blade, I buy mine, as well as injector blades, from Electron Microscopy Sciences. They carry scalpels and such.
Quite possibly the best description I have ever read for using paint scraper blades on my once incredibly handsome face!

And I actually finished a two pass shave! But I was new. Now that I'm old, but still just as cheap.....

I'd only do a one pass shave!

Top Bottom