What's new

What is the difference in sizes between a regular 1912 vs a 1912 squat head?

I shave my face and my head daily.
I only use vintage SE razors.
I own only two types and I use both:

1924 Shovel Head
1912 “squat head” (travel size)

I do not own a regular sized 1912.

I understand one of the many reasons the squat head was manufactured in the early 20’s (Correct me if I am incorrect) was so they can fit in small travel size metal cases? Were many sold? I would think so?

Can somebody show me a side by side picture of a regular size 1912 next to a “travel size” squat head?

How does the size difference of the regular 1912 compare to the size of the Shovel head? I own both Shovel head types:

stamped frame
pedestal frame

I prefer using the stamped frame.

The regular and travel size 1912’s.
Do they provide a much different shave? The difference in closeness, comfort, smoothness, aggression, scrappy toast sounds and ease of use. Is there a huge difference?
I’ve wondered what the difference is.

I enjoy using short handles.
The handle of my squat head, the one with the vertical lines, and the fluted neck, is my go too.

Others who use the 1912’s, which is preferred, the use of short handles or “regular” length handles?

My squat head does not have GEM typed on the back of the frame.
Does yours?

Enjoy the thread.

Last edited:
Can somebody show me a side by side picture of a regular size 1912 next to a “travel size” squat head?
Here’s an old picture showing the differences in head size and handle length. I get a better shave with the standard model.
IMG_1436.jpeg

Thank you.

I will have to get me a Bakelite handle.
I believe they only come with the 1912 GEM Jr, correct?

I like the idea of a frame heavier than the handle. It rally lets the razor do all of the work.

Top Bottom