What's new

specs that define how a razor will shave?

What are the specs that define how a razor will shave, assuming they are the same type as far as open comb or closed comb?

Would it just be the following?

- Blade gap
- Blade exposure
- Blade angle
- Blade jitter

If I have two closed comb razors where these parameters are identical, would they shave the same?

Edit: This is about the razor only. Assume the shaver and the blade are the same.

Last edited:
What are the specs that define how a razor will shave, assuming they are the same type as far as open comb or closed comb?

Would it just be the following?

- Blade gap
- Blade exposure
- Blade angle
- Blade jitter

If I have two closed comb razors where these parameters are identical, would they shave the same?

Those things would be big parts of it, especially gap and exposure.

Weight and distribution of weight are another thing probably.

Size of the head and razor, handle characteristics.

There's also going to be random things that come up, like how the ends of the blades are covered or not covered by the razor head.

So many other variables as stated, don't forget metal type. As previously stated by Ables, weight. Cap and Plate design, tolerances, finish. It is always cool when you can do a side by side comparison.
Good Luck on your Quest...
BFX

Just me, but we tend to put to much focus razor (the wand).
What did they do back in the day..Shave...
You do the magic....

Technique, skill level, consistency and overall shave process will away trump specs.
Have Fun,
BFX

"Blade angle" is related to the angle that you need to hold the handle at, for best results -- but it's not quite the same. Optimum shaving angle depends (I think) on the angle between the edge of the baseplate, and the edge of the top cap. So that's one more variable . . .

Two razors with the same blade gap, and blade exposure, might shave differently if the distance from blade edge, to the edge of the top cap, were different. That's one more variable . . .

. Charles

Pretty much. I would add finish and weight/weight distribution as well. Smoothed chome feels nicer to me on the skin then anodized aluminium and bead blasted matte finishes.

Top Bottom