What's new

SOTD - March 29, 2010 through April 4, 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
A while ago I used my new Fat Boy and posted my results. It , in a nutshell , it was great! Since then I've been looking for a duplicate, a single, not perfect example, didn't need a case, that I could use more regularly without fear of damaging ( dropping) my pristine one.
Well by dumb luck I happened upon a '62 slim adjustable ,, but it too is pretty much perfect in a case but I couldn't argue with the price. Comparing them there was very little I could find different in the head design besides the longer legs on the doors on the FB. And my vernier caliper couldn't find any either. Well I couldn't resist and decided to give it a go. Lets see how this adjustable goes.
It too was great. Doesn't have the heft ( weight) of the FB but the shape of the head as well as being adjustable felt just right. I loaded a Feather ( my personal favorite) whipped up some VDH,, again like the FB kept it sort of retro and off I went. Started with # 1,, same as the FB,, nothing special, but then clicked it right to #5 and alternated from here to #7. Man, this thing is great as well. The balance felt wonderful without being heavy and noticeable. The slightly longer handle wasn't an issue as I don't hold it like it's a paint roller, just the thumb and forefinger. The shape as well as the weight of the head and the sharpness of the Feather allowed me to just let the razor do it's thing. Although in all fairness I tend to think these blades allow me to make straight passes which I usually don't do. With most blades they tend to drag, pull or irritate because I don't think they're sharp enough to cut effectively in straight passes. I overcome this ( as I do when carving) by using what carvers call a skew cut. Or at times a flick of the wrist creates a slightly curving cut. I believe this is why slant bars cut the way they do, though I don't have one ,,,,yet. But I can make my razor act like one pretty easily. And because of this the cuts are much smoother and more comfortable. Thinking back, I started doing this about 20 yrs ago and continued doing it with the cheap-o bag of disposables i had been using just to make them cut reasonably well. And I still do it with all my razors today. Clean cuts, less irritation and pulling, no razor burn.
But I digress.
This razor was wonderful. Did exactly what I was anticipating,, acting like a FB in many ways. And for the price the differences I can overcome. Matter of fact I just bought a second one I spotted on the bay. Yes, it has the wrong case, and it's not as pretty as my current one, but I look at it this way. One, I have a nice case that I now have a good reason to find a razor for regardless of the model.. and two,, I got another razor with the features I like and don't have to worry about messing it up. I bought a reasonably priced terrific razor and they threw in a case for free. Twenty bucks for a razor that works like this I'm not going to argue. Clean it up a bit,, put it in the rotation and I'm a happy guy.
I finished up the shave with a bit of Alum ( very little burn which to me means no irritation) and my mix of WH. A dab of moisturizer and a splash of Old Bay ( which my son didn't care for and donated to my collection of AS)
This shave was pretty much picture perfect and not a stubble or hair remains that I can feel even several hours later. I'm a happy guy, it's a keeper.
But I still have my eye out for another FB. It's RAD you know.....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom