Aftershave: Ginger’s Garden The Lounge

$20160911_131635 (2).jpg

RazoRock - The Dead Sea
Ever-Ready | TGN Finest
RazoRock Wunderbar
Gillette 7 O'clock Black (1)
Floïd Blue

proxy.php

This was my first opportunity to use RazoRock's Wunderbar. The most concise description I can provide is that it's the Stealth Slant made with better material (and a much thinner base plate). This does not mean it shaves like the Stealth. For a long time the RRSSv4 (RazoRock Stealth Slant v4) was the only razor I used. I drifted away somewhat, not because I fell out of love, but rather that I wanted to explore other razors. Its efficiency and relative smooth performance is what keeps bringing me back. I do notice, however, that I have to relearn the razor after I've been away for a while.

Enter the Wunderbar. The first glaring performance difference is the weight. The dry weight was 111.1 grams, 77.6 grams of which is provided by the handle alone. That, alone, plays a huge role in performance for me. I tend to gravitate to heavier razors if not just heavier handles. This all translates to the necessity for a light touch. I also find that the efficiency increases with longer sweeping passes as opposed to short choppy strokes.

Other than the weight, I also noted I felt the blade a bit more than with the RRSS. I got a few weepers on my head, but again, that's par for me when I haven't used a torque-style slant in a while.

I like the heft and appearance of the handle, but it's inevitable that I'll swap it out with my prized Triad Rolling Hex which weighs in just 6 grams lighter and 0.2" longer than the stock handle. The brushed 316 stainless of the Triad will match the Wunderbar finish perfectly. But in the interest in trying out the Wunderbar, I wanted to at least start with the stock handle which is a comfortable length of 3.3".

Speaking of finish, the Wunderbar is shiny---definitely not matte, but it has tiny "scratches" that are evenly dispersed throughout. It gives it a slightly weathered appearance but not quite brushed. With a little effort, the finish could be brought to mirror, but I will never do that with this head. It has an aged, industrial feel about it that I rather like.

As far as fit is concerned, did I mention this is 316L stainless? It's a good material choice for a razor. There is zero blade tab overhang, but my 7 O'clock just stopped at the edge of the head showing there is no wasted width. The posts just barely clear the cutouts in the blade. The threads on the stem catch the blade during the install, but the last 2 mm (proximal to the head) are without threads, so the blade seats without binding. The result of these perfect tolerances is zero blade play. There's a 0.7 mm countersink depression where the handle meets the base plate. The depression is almost a millimeter wider than the end of the handle, so it will make most of your other handles appear to be made for it as well. The handle threads smoothly, and after threading about half-way, there's no wobble. With a blade installed and the handle tightened firmly, the posts descend 3.74 mm through the base plate. This is just enough to facilitate stable alignment without interfering with anything.

It's way too early to know where the Wunderbar will fit in my usage pattern, but it has made a promising start. The design reflects the long thought-out process in the evolution of the machined slant from RazoRock that I once believed had peaked with the Stealth.

Razorock Plissoft synthetic
Art of Shaving Sandalwood Shave Soap
Fatboy/ Wilkinson Sword
Art of Shaving Sandalwood Aftershave Balm
Lubin Idole EdP

RazoRock - The Dead Sea
Ever-Ready | TGN Finest
RazoRock Wunderbar
Gillette 7 O'clock Black (1)
Floïd Blue

http://i.imgur.com/y8nDFx5.jpg

This was my first opportunity to use RazoRock's Wunderbar. The most concise description I can provide is that it's the Stealth Slant made with better material (and a much thinner base plate). This does not mean it shaves like the Stealth. For a long time the RRSSv4 (RazoRock Stealth Slant v4) was the only razor I used. I drifted away somewhat, not because I fell out of love, but rather that I wanted to explore other razors. Its efficiency and relative smooth performance is what keeps bringing me back. I do notice, however, that I have to relearn the razor after I've been away for a while.

Enter the Wunderbar. The first glaring performance difference is the weight. The dry weight was 111.1 grams, 77.6 grams of which is provided by the handle alone. That, alone, plays a huge role in performance for me. I tend to gravitate to heavier razors if not just heavier handles. This all translates to the necessity for a light touch. I also find that the efficiency increases with longer sweeping passes as opposed to short choppy strokes.

Other than the weight, I also noted I felt the blade a bit more than with the RRSS. I got a few weepers on my head, but again, that's par for me when I haven't used a torque-style slant in a while.

I like the heft and appearance of the handle, but it's inevitable that I'll swap it out with my prized Triad Rolling Hex which weighs in just 6 grams lighter and 0.2" longer than the stock handle. The brushed 316 stainless of the Triad will match the Wunderbar finish perfectly. But in the interest in trying out the Wunderbar, I wanted to at least start with the stock handle which is a comfortable length of 3.3".

Speaking of finish, the Wunderbar is shiny---definitely not matte, but it has tiny "scratches" that are evenly dispersed throughout. It gives it a slightly weathered appearance but not quite brushed. With a little effort, the finish could be brought to mirror, but I will never do that with this head. It has an aged, industrial feel about it that I rather like.

As far as fit is concerned, did I mention this is 316L stainless? It's a good material choice for a razor. There is zero blade tab overhang, but my 7 O'clock just stopped at the edge of the head showing there is no wasted width. The posts just barely clear the cutouts in the blade. The threads on the stem catch the blade during the install, but the last 2 mm (proximal to the head) are without threads, so the blade seats without binding. The result of these perfect tolerances is zero blade play. There's a 0.7 mm countersink depression where the handle meets the base plate. The depression is almost a millimeter wider than the end of the handle, so it will make most of your other handles appear to be made for it as well. The handle threads smoothly, and after threading about half-way, there's no wobble. With a blade installed and the handle tightened firmly, the posts descend 3.74 mm through the base plate. This is just enough to facilitate stable alignment without interfering with anything.

It's way too early to know where the Wunderbar will fit in my usage pattern, but it has made a promising start. The design reflects the long thought-out process in the evolution of the machined slant from RazoRock that I once believed had peaked with the Stealth.

Thoughtful review of the Wunderbar, Matt. Nice, dramatic photo.

Last edited:

Excellent Sunday photos and posts today, gentlemen.

@skypsyd - Very nice photo, Dave. Quite respectful.
@DblD - A fine looking shave. I'll be using a GEM G-Bar later in the week.
@alfredus - The effect is subtle, giving the image a very striking look.
@shm - Beautiful, as always, Søren.
@Dagwoodz - Great sentiment, Josh. Thank you.
@ronindug - Nice overhead shot.
@Cash_Stronomer - Very interesting shot with the textured foreground fading to indistinct globulars. Good placement of razor and brush.
@Jnatcat - Quite a good orientation to the photo.
@Bobcat - Tastefully done, Bob. I almost used Cognac & Cuban Cigars this morning ... later in the week.
@rockviper - Really nice twilight quality to the photo, Sam, with just the right amount of vignetting.
@blzrfn - Great matchup with razor and brush, Dave.
@Doug57 - Good POV, Doug. Really nice looking Ever-Ready. I used a GEM 1912 today.
@doc47 - The blurring of dish and brush really enhance the razor as focal point, Dan.
@eezee - Nice looking scales on the straight.
@cmh737 - That's one great Avon bottle, Chris ... and a great prop.
@Hanover - Love those color notes, Mark.
@John Rose - A fine looking bowl. Tell us what the soap was like.
@jstr2112 - Selective color is always good. Nice frame.
@jfim88 - Great looking shave.
@Sdm84 - And there's even more left over!
@PACO GALAN - A striking razor!
@Quick - A million buck shave! I really like all of the 7 O'clock blades.
@sarimento1 - A very appealing photo. Wilderness shaving sounds interesting; I'd certainly like to hear more.

Your particpation is greatly appeciated. I'm sure the upcoming week will be filled with exceptional entries.

I'll be closing this thread a little after midnight and opening a new one moments later.

Thank you Ron... Smells like a million bucks anyway...lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom