What's new

SOTD "FREE WEEK" December 11th - December 17th, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
proxy.php

proxy.php
Great Dark Side photos, Matt. Hope you liked the movie.

Razor: Edwin Jagger DE in Ebony
Blade: Sharp Hi-Chromium
Brush: Haircut & Shave Co. Barber Pole Handle synthetic fiber
Preshave: Proraso White
Shave Cream: T&H Ultimate Comfort
Aftershave: Saponificio Varesino Tundra Artica
Welcome to SOTD. That's a fine array. Like your lighting.

you guys take very nice pictures!

here’s my setup for today:
Gokhan Turkish cotton face towel
Feather AS-D2 DE razor w/ Feather blade
EJ 22mm Synthetic Brush
Klar shaving soap
EJ pre-shave cream
and Lucky Tiger post-shave tonic
Welcome to SOTD. Nice layout.

Barrister & Mann Leviathan
BOC Cherry Boar
49' Gillette Rocket
Wilkinson Sword Classic (6)
Alum block GentlemanJim's
Dickinson's witch Hazel
'vintage' Avon Deep Woods custom w/added clove, cinnamon & vodka.

& my new FatBoy Executive and the other one. ;)
Welcome to SOTD. Nice pics.

Crown King - Oubliette Synergy SE
Rubberset 200-4 | Omega Boar
Radio 1912 | Gem PTFE

proxy.php

Oubliette is the official soap/splash of the How To Grow A Mustache G+ group. While this is the "Special Edition Reboot" version utilizing the throw-back 6 oz. oversized tins and apothecary bottles, it's my understanding they will later be offered in the traditional plastic tubs and glass flask bottles. I'm apparently a rare wet shaving community whore, equally comfortable in online fora, FaceBook groups, Google+ groups, and Reddit (r/wetshaving and r/wicked_edge). As a result, I was intrigued to see just what fragrance was chosen to be representative of the HTGAM community. Throw in "Special Edition" and you've got me.

Oubliette uses the high-butter Crown King base which I've only recently discovered and regret I'd not discovered it sooner. I've lathered Crown King with badger, synthetic, and now boar. I can confirm this is one of the easiest soaps to lather in my den. I was a bit overzealous with the load, given the perfect storm of the wide-mouth tin and the huge Omega knot harvested from the PRO48, so some lather was wasted. It did contribute to a quick shower head and face shave courtesy of the large coverage from the knot and above average slickness from the soap. In my previous impressions of this Crown King base, I tentatively placed it among the leaders in the artisan community. I'm now confident in that assessment. This is an upper-tier soap in terms of performance.

My only complaint with PAA/Crown King splashes is the inclusion of alum. Sure there are fans of alum, but it's just unnecessary. Alum gives me a brief redness that I'd rather do without. I suppose it is a testament to my enjoyment of the fragrances in that I continue to use them despite this. They do offer balms in most fragrances, but not for Oubliette as best I can tell.

Oubliette sat around for a little over 24 hours before I could use it, but the fragrance from the soap alone filled the spare bedroom. Off the tin, this is a very pleasant, intoxicating fragrance. I kept coming back to it, cracking open the tin and taking it in. While I found this unlathered fragrance was very pleasant, I feared it was going to be too powdery for something I'd wear. Fortunately, that aspect was much less evident when I lathered it. Instead, I was met with a clean, cured tobacco and musky floral aroma with suggestions of citrus leaning towards lemon, but far from being lemony. As the shave progressed, the nature of the fragrance became woody, spicy, and warm. The musky floral note became more familiar as the documented jasmine. The splash unfolded in a similar fashion with the tobacco carrying more weight and sustaining while the understated citrus wafted in and out. Again, the dry down warmed up and took on a spicy, woody ensemble with jasmine remaining in check as to not betray the overall masculine accord. I hesitate to use the word "barbershop" when describing it because that seems to mean so many different things, but it does come to my mind regardless. It's probably the faint powder that makes me go there. The closest fragrance in my den would probably be PannaCrema's Pure2O Damn Fine Shave, whereas Oubliette handles the powder in a more masculine fashion. I certainly feel that Oubliette is a fragrance for the masses, but it's still quite unique and bold. It's a good choice to represent a fine group of gentlemen.
Striking photo and excellent assessment, Matt.

Nice Shave Ron ! what about that soap ?
Thank you very much, Raul. The soap is an excellent performer, producing a slick lather with a very nice floral fragrance that lasted throughout the shave. It has notes of rose, black currant, lime, sandalwood and cedarwood.

Running a bit late this evening but I'll be closing this thread in a moment and opening the new one.

Excellent photos, descriptive posts and comments this weekend, gentlemen. I wish I could have commented on each one but time was my enemy. Have a great upcoming week to the holidays, gents. Be seeing you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom