What's new

Site Backup Offer

If any of the site admins want a free backup site for B&B complete, lemme know.
Not worth citing my credentials in this post.
I'm off the mainland Canada with a dual 8Tb, software replicated, UPS backed up system and Enterprise level network experience through the Canadian Forces and a lifetime of growing up with tech.

Civilian and Freelance now, so if you want an old school dump site for a totally free complete, redundant, offshore backup location...I'm more than happy to be there for you.

I owe you for what you've taught me, I'd be honoured to hold a backup for you.

I'm OG on the interwebz. My CRCs always hash out.

I don't lose my data. Talk to me about my 'Zombie Plan'...lol

Much love,
Altreac.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
If any of the site admins want a free backup site for B&B complete, lemme know.
Not worth citing my credentials in this post.
I'm off the mainland Canada with a dual 8Tb, software replicated, UPS backed up system and Enterprise level network experience through the Canadian Forces and a lifetime of growing up with tech.

Civilian and Freelance now, so if you want an old school dump site for a totally free complete, redundant, offshore backup location...I'm more than happy to be there for you.

I owe you for what you've taught me, I'd be honoured to hold a backup for you.

I'm OG on the interwebz. My CRCs always hash out.

I don't lose my data. Talk to me about my 'Zombie Plan'...lol

Much love,
Altreac.
Much appreciated. The membership here is always very kind and helpful, and this is just another example of that friendliness!

Our IT team has a dedicated back up plan and secure storage.

I've been told it's in the The Svalbard Global Apocalypse Seed Vault on the Norwegian island of Spitsbergen in the Arctic Svalbard archipelago, but I can't verify if that's true or not. I don't have a pass to get in and always have to wait in the Snowcat.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
If you ever want, I'm here. I've had my data for over 25 years now intact.

b42ea1f43caffbddd4f98516ed73010c.jpeg

I'm working on 15TB and still have stuff from 1999 when I first came online backed up across 4 drives and uploaded on cloud storage.

View attachment 1397503

I'm working on 15TB and still have stuff from 1999 when I first came online backed up across 4 drives and uploaded on cloud storage.

I picked up 10Tb lifetime cloud storage from Degoo the last time the offer was up, still checking it out.
Last lifetime deal I got through StackSocial is still valid years and years later, so I have hope.

My main stuff is on the dual 8s. I've got a bunch of other drives floating around too.

When I moved here, I sadly had to throw out all my burnt discs from the early days. I had hundreds of cds and DVDs with stuff as far back as original DOS 3! Lol but it was all such old software it required emulation to be used now anyways.

But the brown outs forced me to get my ups and I didn't wanna lose 8tb of stuff, so I'm duplicating that space.

My last posting I was the configuration manager for an 8000 pc network.

Get with the times man, 5.25 inch floppy disks are the new thing. :lol1:
IOmega Zip? Lol

We had one of the old 2 foot diameter hard drive platters hung on the wall along with a handful of (at the time SUPER expensive) 0.25mb ram chips!

And then there was deleting the HKLM Microsoft current version menu order registry key in Win95 to alphabetize your start menu...

Not to be outdone by my timex Sinclair. As weather permits I keep it outside to constitute “off site” storage.

(Great offer by OP btw)
The Sinclair was ahead of its time!

Then like... Palm iii, Palm 5, Dell Axim x30, x51

Intel Atom and stuff like that came later. ARM architecture etc.

That stuff lead to the modern smartphone.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
The Sinclair was ahead of its time!

Then like... Palm iii, Palm 5, Dell Axim x30, x51

Intel Atom and stuff like that came later. ARM architecture etc.

That stuff lead to the modern smartphone.
I remember I had what was thoughtlessly called the “palm pilot”
😂

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
When I moved here, I sadly had to throw out all my burnt discs from the early days. I had hundreds of cds and DVDs with stuff as far back as original DOS 3! Lol but it was all such old software it required emulation to be used now anyways.

I started with 98se and promptly moved to Windows 2000. That was a great OS. Years ago I deleted a bunch of stuff to save space, thinking I could just Google it and find it again. Not a chance. Google aint what it use to be but the internet isnt the wild west anymore either.

I even have some things, my Music folder being one of them, backed up on 5 different internal and external drives.

I started with 98se and promptly moved to Windows 2000. That was a great OS. Years ago I deleted a bunch of stuff to save space, thinking I could just Google it and find it again. Not a chance. Google aint what it use to be but the internet isnt the wild west anymore either.

I even have some things, my Music folder being one of them, backed up on 5 different internal and external drives.

98se service pack 2. 3 just ruined it.

Win 2k was so solid.

I run a 512gb SD card on my phone and have it entire music collection there as well. It's an Ip68 phone, so hopefully at least my music is safe!

Just thinking about losing a collection sucks!
I feel bad for people who have lost stuff like years of pictures and things.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
98se service pack 2. 3 just ruined it.

Win 2k was so solid.

I run a 512gb SD card on my phone and have it entire music collection there as well. It's an Ip68 phone, so hopefully at least my music is safe!

Just thinking about losing a collection sucks!
I feel bad for people who have lost stuff like years of pictures and things.

I dont even own a cell phone lol. I did, once upon a time, but it was analog. When they sent me a newer digital I gave it away.

I dont even own a cell phone lol. I did, once upon a time, but it was analog. When they sent me a newer digital I gave it away.
Lol.

I'm the kind of nut who wants a KVM installed in my brain. No computer. Just an interface. With a manual off switch.
Then just port into whatever computer and just 'think type'.

But I also live in a place that is not fully covered in signal zones. Hard to IP track without a sigpath.

I don't even have enough internet speed here to link more than 1 device to my modem. I sometimes have to bridge IPs between my phone and modem just to browse a forum.

But slow just means I need to be creative. Overnight managed downloads...stuff like that.

Stupid single microwave access point to the island is overloaded and weather dependant.
It's like the stage just before off grid.

Definitely on the list for Starlink. Hopefully this year.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Lol.

I'm the kind of nut who wants a KVM installed in my brain. No computer. Just an interface. With a manual off switch.
Then just port into whatever computer and just 'think type'.

But I also live in a place that is not fully covered in signal zones. Hard to IP track without a sigpath.

I don't even have enough internet speed here to link more than 1 device to my modem. I sometimes have to bridge IPs between my phone and modem just to browse a forum.

But slow just means I need to be creative. Overnight managed downloads...stuff like that.

Stupid single microwave access point to the island is overloaded and weather dependant.
It's like the stage just before off grid.

Definitely on the list for Starlink. Hopefully this year.

I cant say I'm lacking on speed.

Screenshot 2022-01-23 at 07-58-17 Speedtest by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test.png

I get a little better than 1/10th that speed though, I've never seen it all. A faster upload would be nice. Could I trade that for the solitude, peace and quiet where you are? Thats a tough question haha. I did watch a very good documentary about that area a while back though.

Watch the Trailer - https://www.guardianthedoc.com/watch-the-trailer.html

What a life that must have been.

I cant say I'm lacking on speed.

View attachment 1398084

I get a little better than 1/10th that speed though, I've never seen it all. A faster upload would be nice. Could I trade that for the solitude, peace and quiet where you are? Thats a tough question haha. I did watch a very good documentary about that area a while back though.

Watch the Trailer - https://www.guardianthedoc.com/watch-the-trailer.html

What a life that must have been.

Very cool.

There was a movie shot here called Atanarjuat. (The Fast Runner). There are a few people here I've met that were in it.

I'm still learning a lot about this place, but it's wild.
For example, there isn't Ursus Americans here. They're all genetically different. Ursus Americans Haida Gwaii on the official table.

One rough Internet day here speed test rated me Ping 47, download 0.42, upload 0.00
I'm pretty sure they rotate throttle here.
It's usable if you're patient, but there are times I'm glad I've got so much offline data...
Starlink updates say this year still... So fingers crossed.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Very cool.

There was a movie shot here called Atanarjuat. (The Fast Runner). There are a few people here I've met that were in it.

I'm still learning a lot about this place, but it's wild.
For example, there isn't Ursus Americans here. They're all genetically different. Ursus Americans Haida Gwaii on the official table.

One rough Internet day here speed test rated me Ping 47, download 0.42, upload 0.00
I'm pretty sure they rotate throttle here.
It's usable if you're patient, but there are times I'm glad I've got so much offline data...
Starlink updates say this year still... So fingers crossed.

Thats rough, you have my sympathies lol. Can't you even get Bell satellite there?

Top Bottom