What's new

When should I start experimenting with blades and new razor?

So isn't that the blade gap being different? Are blade gap and clamp down connected in some way? I don't know much about the clamp and blade chatter but blade gap is something I understand. You're suggesting to get a razor with smaller blade gap?

No, I'm not suggesting a razor with a smaller gap. The two design styles don't really have anything to do with blade gap. You can use the Piccolo style of a well clamped blade and still achieve whatever gap you want. Timeless razors clamp very well, like the Piccolo, and offer .68 and .95 gaps. I didn't mention them at first because it's a more expensive razor and you indicated you weren't looking for that right now.

So, less gap might help, but that's not what I'm suggesting. I'm suggesting you might try a razor design that clamps the blade near the cutting edge, but that doesn't mean it has to have very little blade gap. Here's a picture of the Timeless and a Rockwell that might better show how you can have a base plate and cap that clamp well by design and still have whatever gap the maker chooses.

IMG_2633.jpeg

This isn't my picture, but you can see that clamping really depends on how the base plate is designed without having anything to do with blade gap. The Timeless base plate on the left extends all the way to very close to the cutting edge. While the Rockwell on the left only uses those two little posts to support the blade and they aren't near the cutting edge.

That's not to say that the Rockwell/L55 design is bad. It's not and many people here love razors like that. I've just found that the Timeless/Piccolo style works better for me and my whisker characteristics.

Hope that helps.

The Timeless base plate on the left extends all the way to very close to the cutting edge. While the Rockwell on the left only uses those two little posts to support the blade and they aren't near the cutting edge.

That's not to say that the Rockwell/L55 design is bad. It's not and many people here love razors like that. I've just found that the Timeless/Piccolo style works better for me and my whisker characteristics.

Ah, I now think I understood what you mean with regards to clamping. Thanks! I suppose clamping the blade closer to the cutting edge will provide a more rigid blade while shaving. Will keep this in mind! :thumbup1:

L55 open comb is not a razor that you should start with. No matter if it is the old or the new OC.

That is why you have cuts on your neck.

Yes, it's perhaps not an ideal razor to start. My prior experience with cartridge razors and a brief stint with DE razors doesn't amount to sufficient experience. I will do a few more shaves before thinking about getting a new razor. It's not like I'm cutting myself too badly because even with cartridge razors I've had those spots on the neck. But when I did a careful DE shave WTG on my neck I did experience at least 1 or 2 shaves with zero nicks, so I am confident it is possible to get a nick free shave everytime and it's not an issue with my skin itself but rather my technique (or lack thereof).

Ah, I now think I understood what you mean with regards to clamping. Thanks! I suppose clamping the blade closer to the cutting edge will provide a more rigid blade while shaving. Will keep this in mind! :thumbup1:

Yes, it's perhaps not an ideal razor to start. My prior experience with cartridge razors and a brief stint with DE razors doesn't amount to sufficient experience. I will do a few more shaves before thinking about getting a new razor. It's not like I'm cutting myself too badly because even with cartridge razors I've had those spots on the neck. But when I did a careful DE shave WTG on my neck I did experience at least 1 or 2 shaves with zero nicks, so I am confident it is possible to get a nick free shave everytime and it's not an issue with my skin itself but rather my technique (or lack thereof).
If you stay with the L-55, you'd better try different blades in it. And I mean different. Not 1 or 2 other than the Wilkinson.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
If you have the means and your current setup consistently brings blood, I would try a closed comb with less gap and blade exposure and a blade known for its smoothness. A good pairing might be an Edwin Jagger DE89 with a Gillette Silver Blue or a Personna Lab Blue. There are plenty of higher cost options, but that would be a good starting point. I use an Above the Tie Windsor with a mild plate and a Personna Lab Blue. A Feather AS-D2 is a bit milder but is so mild that it requires a well honed technique for a very close shave IME. Best of luck!

Shave with your current kit for 6 months. Perfect your technique. A great shave can be had with any razor with good technique.

After you’ve perfected your technique pick up a Gillette Tech for $5 to $25. You’re done at that point. Enjoy great shaves for the rest of your life.

Ditch the alum block. I’ve shaved for 50+ years and I’ve never used one. I’m not entirely sure what it is or what I would do with it. Simply splash on an alcohol based aftershave to cauterize any nicks. That’s what it’s for.

Shave with your current kit for 6 months. Perfect your technique. A great shave can be had with any razor with good technique.

After you’ve perfected your technique pick up a Gillette Tech for $5 to $25. You’re done at that point. Enjoy great shaves for the rest of your life.

Ditch the alum block. I’ve shaved for 50+ years and I’ve never used one. I’m not entirely sure what it is or what I would do with it. Simply splash on an alcohol based aftershave to cauterize any nicks. That’s what it’s for.

Thank you for your inputs! Much appreciated 😊

One of the reason I'm inclined to experimenting with blades/razor earlier than 6 months is because the razor I started out with looks quite aggressive (seems similar to Muhle R41 from casual eye-balling of pics). Others have reported similar findings on the L-55 as well.

If by chance I pick up a different blade/razor (or both) and my technique is sufficient to give me better shaves, why should I delay that process is what I keep thinking... Of course, there's no way anyway can predict what can happen and what would be the best/most ideal decision but it's something I think about when I hear other people's experiences of the Pearl L-55 (and other razors) and perhaps, starting on L-55 is a mistake but hindsight is 20/20.

As for Gillette Tech, I don't think those razors are easily/widely available in India.

As for the Alum block, I have mixed feelings on using it. It leaves a weird feeling on the skin, definitely feels like "tightening" but it's also not easy to wash off either. For now, I'm going to stick to witch hazel post shave balms/lotion and/or the alcohol after shave splashes, using the alum block occasionally. Luckily, the alum stones were super cheap, ₹35 ($0.42) for 0.5 kgs (1.10 lbs) so I won't feel too bad if I ditched it entirely. 😌

Thank you for your inputs! Much appreciated 😊

One of the reason I'm inclined to experimenting with blades/razor earlier than 6 months is because the razor I started out with looks quite aggressive (seems similar to Muhle R41 from casual eye-balling of pics). Others have reported similar findings on the L-55 as well.

If by chance I pick up a different blade/razor (or both) and my technique is sufficient to give me better shaves, why should I delay that process is what I keep thinking... Of course, there's no way anyway can predict what can happen and what would be the best/most ideal decision but it's something I think about when I hear other people's experiences of the Pearl L-55 (and other razors) and perhaps, starting on L-55 is a mistake but hindsight is 20/20.

As for Gillette Tech, I don't think those razors are easily/widely available in India.

As for the Alum block, I have mixed feelings on using it. It leaves a weird feeling on the skin, definitely feels like "tightening" but it's also not easy to wash off either. For now, I'm going to stick to witch hazel post shave balms/lotion and/or the alcohol after shave splashes, using the alum block occasionally. Luckily, the alum stones were super cheap, ₹35 ($0.42) for 0.5 kgs (1.10 lbs) so I won't feel too bad if I ditched it entirely. 😌
Keep using the R41. If you can master that one, you can shave with anything.

You can’t buy your way to shaving Nirvana.

Keep using the R41. If you can master that one, you can shave with anything.

You can’t buy your way to shaving Nirvana.

Yes, doing my best. I can pull off nick free shaves but I sometimes get greedy for an extra smooth pass and end up getting a nick or two ☺️

1. How long should I shave with my current setup before changing the razor and/or the blade?
There is no right or wrong answer here. I would say go for it and change whatever you want. It’s your shave! But my personal suggestion would be to take a combo (you have gotten lots of great suggestions already) and use that for a longer period. I think I used my KCG razor with KCG for 4-5 months before venturing out to a second razor. And then I used those two for months on end again (I am a daily shaver). Nowadays I am all over the place I will admit, but that’s because I have my technique well enough in order to do so. Technique usually trumps the razor. Not always, but usually so.

2. Is it better to use alum block or use an aftershave with alcohol to prevent infection?
I generally stay away from alum blocks as much as I can. They dry out my skin and I have alcohol aftershave to sanitise my skin. I do use alum for weepers that need more than just a rinse.

3. Do you folks continue shaving, applying soap/cream over nicks to do another pass? I tried it but the pass always feel half-hearted and very delicate.
I do continue shaving yes, but it depends on the nick. If I reek havoc I obviously am less keen on doing it again that pass. But smaller wipers I tend to ignore.

Enjoy your journey!!

Guido

I get the most utility from an alum block to make my fingertips grippy to give me some purchase when I'm stretching my skin. I've used them in the aftershave process, but I didn't find it to add anything valuable in that context.

It also gets some use for those mid-level weepers that don't quickly close on their own but don't require a stronger styptic.

I'd like to be one of those guys who never draws any blood, but going on four decades of shaving, I can safely say that's not in the cards for me. I have very coarse, low-emerging whiskers, an obsessive need for an even shave, razors that are straight and flat, and skin that is not. There will be the odd weeper here and there.

Last edited:
You need the right tool for the job. Get another razor a lots of blades. Try about a dozen of the popular ones.

Stay with the same soap.

Don't push your blades. If you can get 3-4 shaves make note of how it felt and pick a different blade for 3-4 shaves. Once you separate blades into bad blade/shave and better blade/shave repeat.
Try for 4-5 good blades and order another tuck of each. Now is the time to push the blade and set a benchmark.
Stock up on your best 2-3 blades and revisit lesser cuts to see if anything has changed.

It's a long process even for daily shavers.

Top Bottom