What's new

Single Edge Razor Acquisition Thread.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Shovel+G, cool! Which Shovel?
That's where I could use your infinite wisdom. I'm new to this SE world. I think it's a 1924 on account of it saying "Patented" under the Ever-Ready Made in the USA marks. Thoughts?

Kindly,
Adam

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I learn something new everyday , thanks Toby!

proxy.php

I'm guessing round. [emoji16]

Just arrived ... couple of '50s Ever Ready sets in glorious colours which match my TFS soaps lovely, the Italian Barber SOC ties it all together.

proxy.php

Beautiful!!! Love Brit handles! Very nice my friend! :thumbup:

Cheers!

This is one of those razors which we would generally call '30s and indeed I do believe there are a number of them which are - this box, same design, in brown or green mottled bakelite with a chain link handled 1912. I do have a couple/few of those and they're most definitely '30s.

Here, it would appear Ever-Ready rolled out the same case in more modern colours during the '50s. The green one has a regular, heavy handle; the red has the lightweight, akin to the 'Peerless' set.

Of this type, I now have:

Ever-Ready Chain Link in Brown
GEM (British) Chain Link in Brown
GEM (Australian) Chain Link in Brown
Star (British?) Double Slashed in Green ... all '30s, I believe
Ever-Ready Chain Link in Black ... 1950s, I think
Ever-Ready Chain Mail (above) in Green
Ever Ready Chain Mail/Lightweight (above) in Red

They're nice sets. I got a lovely little note from the seller of the red one, which I'll keep in the case.

I'm certainly looking forward to shaving with these - I know the shave is good, but there do seem to be subtle variations in quality between razors of the same type, so I'm keen to see if either of these rises to the top of the heap as best 1912 shave ... the title is held by a 'Bathroom Set' 1912. It's just lovely every time I use it.

well i got it in and got it all cleaned up. it looks perfect and everything works as it should.
$20161217_123149.jpg
it came with a case and an injector of blades that seems to have many blades still in it. i can see at least 13 in the window on the side, there is one used blade in the injector and i took one out of the razor itself, it is possible that there are still 18 in the injector.
$20161217_123321.jpg
looking over the razor it is not scratched up at all, and the adjuster mover the safety bar smoothly.
$20161217_123300.jpg
i had no problem loading a blade and unfortunately i have started growing a winter beard about a week ago and could only test it on my cheeks and neck.

i had it setting on the side of the sink and my wife, who never really has an opinion on my razors, asked if it was new and really liked the looks. i am afraid that it may get confiscated... it is the first one that she really liked.

Here is the latest addition to my collection, all the way from Budapest.

$roller2.jpg

It is a Henckels . . . something. It resembles a Rapide, but only superficially. Of course the main difference is the Wilkinson style roller comb, but there are numerous smaller differences as well.

$roller4.jpg

It is in excellent condition, as is the case. Two blades were included, a Henckels blade and another one with no markings. There is one blade case and the stropping tool is present.

$roller5.jpg

It features the roller comb, spring-loaded side blade holders, blade stops, and a slender handle that is knurled rather than lined.

$grp5.jpg

Here we see it (on the left) compared with a Henckels Rapide, Ernst Scharff Rapide, and a later model Ernst Scharff Rapide.

$grp1.jpg

Here is the "family photo" with the Rapides.

I've been unable to find out much about this model. I'm guessing that it dates to around 1911 when the Scharff patent ran out, although there are enough differences that it may not have infringed on the Scharff patent.

If anyone has any more information I'd love to hear about it.

As expected the Solingen steel blade took a wicked edge and this morning the razor delivered an outstanding shave. The roller comb produces a smooth shave, but it is plenty aggressive - about like a Wilkinson Empire at its most aggressive setting.

--Bob

Last edited:
Thanks fellas! Today will be my first shave with a shovel head. I'm not sure where it lands on the scale compared too my favorites the 1912 and the clog proof but we shall see.

Top Bottom