What's new

Single Edge Razor Acquisition Thread.

Cheers! Yes, it's a nice set.

That type of handle is typical of the British razors from the end of the '40s through into the '50s. They are most often seen in the Deluxe sets, which are clamshell cased similar to the '30s Streamline sets but more rounded. Later still, the handles became lighter and were made of aluminium. Those lighter handled examples can also be found in the (late) Deluxe sets and the Peerless sets of the '50s.

This particular case was also seen the '30s. I often doubted this, but I finally got my proof with an Australian 150th Anniversary labelled set which bore the 1938 date. I believe the case is exactly the same but the razors were different. In the '30s they were the chain link handle for Ever Ready (and British Made GEM branded for Australia). I also have a Star in this type of case but cannot figure out the exact era ... I think it's '50s.

I would hazard a rough guide at the more mottled bakelite being earlier and the more plain (like this one) being the later date.

Nice, thank you sir! :thumbup1:

Found a VALET today on the way home today at an antique mall. I don't know much about it, anyone want to educate me? I think it's silver plated.

View attachment 703143

$2016-11-17 17.17.53.jpg

That's a Valet Auto-Strop VB2, circa 1927-1933 or thereabouts. It is indeed silver plated.

The Feather FHS blades should fit it. This is the same blade used by the OneBlade razor. Unfortunately, this model will not accept a modified Gem blade.

This is a very aggressive razor - proceed with caution.

--Bob

Lovely! The older Ever Ready on the right will work with modern blades if you "shim" underneath with a couple of spines removed from old blades. Have fun!

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Lovely! The older Ever Ready on the right will work with modern blades if you "shim" underneath with a couple of spines removed from old blades. Have fun!

Beautiful razors!!! A '14 and a lather catcher! You can use the LC without shims, I don't shim mine, just make sure the blade stops hold the blade well. :thumbup1:

Thank you Gents. I will clean up and try some Kampfe Bros wedge blades I have in the LC and see if they fit. If not I will use standard SE BLADES

That's a Valet Auto-Strop VB2, circa 1927-1933 or thereabouts. It is indeed silver plated.

The Feather FHS blades should fit it. This is the same blade used by the OneBlade razor. Unfortunately, this model will not accept a modified Gem blade.

This is a very aggressive razor - proceed with caution.

--Bob

@Mlee Check out stropper.com AutoStrops start on page 3

Thanks for the info. guys. I picked up some NOS VALET blades still in the wrapper today, they should fit shouldn't they. After I get it cleaned up, I may take it for a spin.

Thank you Gents. I will clean up and try some Kampfe Bros wedge blades I have in the LC and see if they fit. If not I will use standard SE BLADES

All Ever-Ready branded lather catchers were designed to use modern style spined blades. Adding a shim simulates the thicker spine of the early blades of this type, but I find that they shave just fine without it.

Since the spined blades were new on the scene at the time and perhaps not widely available, the ER lather catchers were designed to be 'backward compatible," and as a result wedge style blades can also be used.

--Bob

Top Bottom