What's new

Single Edge Razor Acquisition Thread.

No, I haven't. The razor actually came with a small card that stated "Compliments of Lt. Comdr. J. J. Tunney". J. J. Tunney was better known as Gene Tunney, who in his day was famous world champion boxer in the 20s and defeated Jack Dempsey twice. From what I read online, he went onto work for Schick in the 30s before being recalled to military service at the outbreak of WWII where he served as a Lt. Comdr. in the USN. This razor dates to about 1941 so it could very well indeed have been a gift from the famous boxer.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
No, I haven't. The razor actually came with a small card that stated "Compliments of Lt. Comdr. J. J. Tunney". J. J. Tunney was better known as Gene Tunney, who in his day was famous world champion boxer in the 20s and defeated Jack Dempsey twice. From what I read online, he went onto work for Schick in the 30s before being recalled to military service at the outbreak of WWII where he served as a Lt. Comdr. in the USN. This razor dates to about 1941 so it could very well indeed have been a gift from the famous boxer.
That is awesome!!!! She's a keeper!

All this Oneblade talk got me thinking about Valets. Never owned one before.
Now I have two, plus a beauty of a GEM 1912 curved plate and a Gillette old type clone.

Despined GEM fits the silver Valet but not the gold. So a pack of FHS-10 also coming now. :)

proxy.php

Now I have two, plus a beauty of a GEM 1912 curved plate and a Gillette old type clone.

Despined GEM fits the silver Valet but not the gold. So a pack of FHS-10 also coming now. :)

proxy.php

Nice score - you'll like the Valets; the silver one is adjustable, use the thumb tab to adjust the blade gap.

Using the thumb tab locked the blade. Anything lower and the blade could move slightly.
No matter. Now I know how my lather catchers were supposed to feel. Marvelous shave from the Valet.

Using the thumb tab locked the blade. Anything lower and the blade could move slightly.
No matter. Now I know how my lather catchers were supposed to feel. Marvelous shave from the Valet.

As long as the blade edge is under the stop tabs it won't be able to move, that gives you a small bit of adjustment room. See the instructions in this post. Only the models with the slotted blade holder will adjust this way; the ones with the flip-over gate closure or the side tabs won't.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz

proxy.php
Love the mechanics of the Valet. Nice pick up.

That's an E alright. I believe it's an E-2, maybe an E-3. if the ribs above the blade are straight it's a 3, if they're irregular its a 2.

Nothing special other than the great shape this Gem is in. I think I'll give it a go tonight.

$Handle.jpg$Closed.jpg$Open.jpg

Last edited:
This Schick came along for the ride with the Gem above. A bit rough but plenty good to try out my first injector. Any idea the model?

$Back.jpg
$Front.jpg
$Numbers.jpg

Top Bottom