What's new

Simpsons Chubby ... yellowing?

The hairs on my Chubby are beginning to "yellow," like old hair. Anyone have this issue and an explanation of why it happens?

(I Suppose I could wash it in "brassy shampoo"--the wife, I think, has some.)

UV radiation would be the largest culprit. There are soaps and creams that can dye it as well. Oxidation. Lots of reasons as to why.

what nonsense !!!
Simpson can do no wrong :)
I have at least 15-20 Simpsons - never seen them change the color - although they don't get much use any way as I shave about twice a week

Shouldn’t be any reason synthetic wouldn’t yellow. Highly doubt it is uv resistant.

Look at old brushes for sale. The hair gets brittle and yellow over time for badger. A lot of folks would let their brush dry on a window sill. Others just let the brush mildew filled with soap in the cup in a medicine cabinet.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Shouldn’t be any reason synthetic wouldn’t yellow. Highly doubt it is uv resistant.

Look at old brushes for sale. The hair gets brittle and yellow over time for badger. A lot of folks would let their brush dry on a window sill. Others just let the brush mildew filled with soap in the cup in a medicine cabinet.
I should take a picture of my "moldy brush experiment"!

i have a small herd of simpsons and each is great brush!
over a period of many years, have not seen any noticeable 'yellowing' of the hairs.
nor any of my older 'vintage' simpsons!

proxy.php

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Personally, I have not seen any or much of any color in my badger brushes, some are quite old. However, once in a while I get a brush for re-knotting and often they are quite yellow. Just got one in today, and it does not seem to be very old at all. This is something odd I have never figured out why this is so.
Maybe soap has to do with this, some soaps are quite dark.

FarmerTan

Personally, I have not seen any or much of any color in my badger brushes, some are quite old. However, once in a while I get a brush for re-knotting and often they are quite yellow. Just got one in today, and it does not seem to be very old at all. This is something odd I have never figured out why this is so.
Maybe soap has to do with this, some soaps are quite dark.
Perhaps a high iron content in the water? I know before we installed a water softener I had orange around all of the sink drains....

Thanks to all for the comments. Now the big question is: what to do about it? I think our water's ok, and I typically rinse well before storing.

It is badger. I’ve attached some photos here.

Attachments

• 13447365-64E6-4120-AAC5-C8EB9645CF9F.jpeg
    13447365-64E6-4120-AAC5-C8EB9645CF9F.jpeg
    923.2 KB · Views: 38
  • BDDB5930-3FC2-4797-819B-FA3C176BCF22.jpeg
    BDDB5930-3FC2-4797-819B-FA3C176BCF22.jpeg
    866.3 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

FarmerTan

Thanks to all for the comments. Now the big question is: what to do about it?

I’ve attached some photos here.
Definitely try the wife's shampoo. And perhaps a little cream rinse to prevent tangles?

Looks like Badger to me, am I right?

What have you been lathering with it? That's dye from whatever product you've been using. Likely a puck of soap since it's right at the tips and not lower. If I had to put my money on something I would suspect GFT Rose. You can check with Simpson for possible ways to remove it, but you're likely not going to find any solution to getting the color out. Other people that have had this issue of their brush getting stained from the product they've used but I've never read of any solution they found to fix the problem. Maybe borax. I've never used it myself, but it might possibly get it out. You can try shampooing it to no harm. It's nothing I would personally worry about to try and get it out.

Yes, it is a badger. And I did use
1702083909695.jpeg
so perhaps that is the culprit. Good soap, too.

Suppose I'll try the brassy soap and see if that helps.

FarmerTan

Oddly my Chubby is the only one yellowing in my lot. I'm not a soap nut, I have a handful of soaps, and certainly none that only the Chubby has seen. Here's the lineup, it's somewhat noticeable.
View attachment 1761172
Wow. Well thank you for ruining my theories my friend!

Makes me wonder if it wasn't a strange batch of Badger hair...... Perhaps this particular tribe of Beasties enjoyed a spray tan?!?

Top Bottom