What's new

Scotch recommendations for a beginner

My first two bottles of Scotch were Auchentoshan American Oak and Chivas 12. both pretty mellow flavors without much peat/smoke

I am currently going through bottles of The Torran 12 and Monkey Shoulder. Both are pretty mellow. I am enjoying the Torran a bit more though thanks to its butterscotch and smoke profile.

I have also learned to enjoy my whiskey with a few ice cubes. It mellows out the burn a bit for me.

You might research the bars near you and find one with a good variety of scotches to sample. Saves you from spending $50+ for an entire bottle of something you may hate... which was the Quinta Ruban for me...

For summer- Aberlour 10 or 12- aye there are many others but it has remained my favorite home scotch for 25 + years. Spends time in Sherry casks like Macallan ( just not as long) but much less per bottle.

For Fall / Autumn - Laphroaig Quarter Cask- when it is crisp and leaves are about, frost on the roof

For when it is blowing rain and sleet and cold to the bone
. In a cabin perhaps with my feet by the fire and a pipe or cigar in hand-Lagavulin 16

I like some many of the prior suggestions, obscure or more well known. It is a good journey. Enjoy

All those recommendations are good, but I gotta say that a bottle of Johnny Walker Black is a mighty good value, a mighty good whisky, and very easy to find. It's even got a little smoke to it.

Honestly, as good as single malts can be, don't get too wound up about single malt v. blend.
+1 Johnny Walker Black is the best bang for your buck for a good Scotch.

Top Bottom