What's new

Scotch recommendations for a beginner

The Glenlivet was great. Too much like bourbon for me, though, so I think next I will try something peated.

If it's something peated you're looking for, can't go wrong with Laphroaig!

+1 on the Ardbeg 10. I can vouch for that one as well.

Alot of good suggestions above. Enjoy the journey!

I'm a young guy, 20's, but I've really gotten interested lately in scotches because of the flavor profile. Not a big bourbon fan at all and the smokiness of scotches appeals to me. My father, the only other man in my family, can't stand scotch so I have no one to share it with. What are some good recommendations for someone just starting out? A coworker suggested doing a blended first such as Johnny Walker's Black Label and then going to Macallan 10 because it is fairly mild and others I see are Glenlivet 12 and Highland Park's 12 year. I tend to favor foods and drinks that are smokier and more bitter in taste than others, so I'm assuming I'd eventually enjoy peated whiskies but for now I'd like some insight before dropping any money on a bottle. Thanks.

sir eleuther0s, you might take a trip to your total wine shop in towson, they have wide assortment of scotches, and ask for their recommendations.
personally, i like the mccallan, but prefer less-smoky scotch.
imo, you should get to know the 'basics' and 'standards' as a starting point.
for me, a favorite standard is chivas regal.

View attachment 712009

Tried the miniatures of JW Black and Chivas 12 last night. Enjoyed the Chivas more. The JW had a bitterness to it that wasn't pleasing. I think I will look for a sample of Laphroaig because I was wishing while drinking the two I just mentioned that they had more smoke

A good blend at a good price is Monkey Shoulder. I can find it for less than $30.

You might look for miniatures. I can find miniatures of Glenlivet, Glenmorangie, and MaCallan, as well as blends of Jimmy Walker. Good, fairly inexpensive way to see if you like a whisky before buying. I also do this with bourbon.
"Jimmy Walker" scotch is DYN-O-MITE!!:laugh:

The wife and I are also beginning scotch drinkers. I picked these up as a Christmas present for us this year....
Nice!!

Tried the miniatures of JW Black and Chivas 12 last night. Enjoyed the Chivas more. The JW had a bitterness to it that wasn't pleasing. I think I will look for a sample of Laphroaig because I was wishing while drinking the two I just mentioned that they had more smoke
Sounds like you're wanting smoke. Laproaig will definitely fill the bill. Enjoy and keep us posted!!

Why not start with Johnnie Walker Green Label, a blended Malt Scotch.
It's fairly cheap, easy to get and most importantly, is an all-malt Scotch.

OP, another idea is to check for scotch tastings at local bars. I'm sure a big city like Baltimore has such functions and events.

If not call or stop in on a more storied drinking establishment which carries a great selection of scotches and ask them to prepare a tasting evening for you of 4 to 8 drams....ask the bartender which are best neat, with a few drops of water, etc finding an educated guide for such an evening will make all the difference...but you must have at least one friend along who enjoys scotch and has a palate worth a damn

https://foursquare.com/top-places/baltimore/best-places-scotch

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
All good advice, but probably the best advice is ... go and drink scotch: lots, but not too much.* Find what you like, and let that guide your further exploration.

*Lots of different scotches, not too much in total at one time. Don't become a drunk or a candidate for liver failure.

Definitely good advice above. I will heed it all. A bit jealous today as I went over to a cousin's house for a gift exchange and he got a bottle of Johnnie Walker Blue Label from a coworker. Quite a gift.

You started out with some excellent choices that are on the more "tame" side. Learning the different types of Scotch and what fits your palate is an adventure. Enjoy the ride!

I think Laphroaig may be a little much for a beginning Scotch drinker. I would stick to the single malts, maybe a Balvenie Doublewood 12 or an Oban to start with. Then experiment with the Laphroaig 10 y.o. or Lagavulin 16 y.o. for a peaty and smoky whisky. I love the Islay single malts but I always worry about a novice being turned off by them.
Agree 100%. If the OP wants to dabble in smoke and peat, try a Bowmore or Highland Park first. Then gradually move up to Ardbeg, Talisker and eventually Laphroaig.

Top Bottom