What's new

Scotch recommendations for a beginner

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Or Caol Ila. That is the scotch that opened my eyes to Islay malts.
That is a nice whisky, very light all around, but not at all dull. It's definitely a good starter whisky, but also still quite good enough for the sophisticated drinker.

Frankly, I prefer Highland Park 12, but that's largely a matter of personal taste.

Just picked up a bottle Ardbeg 10 for myself for the new year. Its good! Not as good as Lagavulin 16, but at around $100 for a bottle where I live I cant justify spending that. If you like strong smoke and peat check this out.

That is a nice whisky, very light all around, but not at all dull. It's definitely a good starter whisky, but also still quite good enough for the sophisticated drinker.

Frankly, I prefer Highland Park 12, but that's largely a matter of personal taste.

Just picked up a bottle Ardbeg 10 for myself for the new year. Its good! Not as good as Lagavulin 16, but at around $100 for a bottle where I live I cant justify spending that. If you like strong smoke and peat check this out.
Two malts that I need to add to my bar!!

Give Monkey Shoulder a try! It is really good!https://www.monkeyshoulder.com/

$MIN_262195_EAC.jpg

I purchased a bottle of Speyburn single malt 10 year awhile back because it was on sale at my liquor store and I figured I would give it a go. My bottle is about gone and this has really grown on me.

Interesting reading, but I guess I'm too low-brow...I like Dewar's for normal use and Glenlivet for "special" occasions.

My first scotch was Johnny Red and Black. Then Glen Fiddich. I bought a few bottles of Dewar's and liked it fine but got heavier into bourbon. I got back into scotch when I got sick right after Thanksgiving.

I went straight to Laphroaig but I Knew I liked it. I bought a dram of Old Putenay and thought it would be a good one to Introduce people to other scotches.

I got a bottle of Ardberg 10 to take on a hunting trip this week. I like my Islay but I'm wary on who I share it with.

Honestly, when I was in my 20s (like the OP) the only Scotch I considered drinking was the 1.5 liter Clan MacGregor in the green plastic bottle. It tasted the way isopropyl smells. Cost about $13.

I know I'm a bit late to the conversation here, but Lagavulin was my first scotch (heavily peated). Luckily for me, my brother is big into scotch (He can quote ralfy's reviews, good stuff there). So I've had a pretty good exposure to a few scotches. My favorite is Hazelburn (Springbank Distillery - unpeated) and they're Long Row (Strong peat, with a lot of good flavor) is fantastic. Not sure cost, but I've seen it around our specs here. Other than that, Glendronach, Dalwhinnie, and Compass Box (blended) are some great options!

Laphroaig 10 would be a great starting point for a single malt with smoke, absolutely delicious, ardbeg is very similar. Lagavulin 16 is among my favorites.

As you progress I would highly recommend laphroaig cask strength, it is not for the faint of heart but my oh my that is one wonderful scotch

I got started on blends and Johnnie Walker Black is still a go to for me. I personally find that you get more bang for your buck flavor wise with single malts though. I've enjoyed every Glenlivet I have tried. I currently lean towards the Islay malts though. I really enjoyed Laphroaig Quarter Cask and the Laddie 16. Lagavulin 16 is my hands down favorite right now, I just wish I could afford to drink it on a regular basis.

I didn't have a chance to read all the recommendations but wanted to give a vote for a Japanese whiskey. Nikka barrel is a great introduction to the world of Japanese distillers.

I got a bottle of highland park 12 and ardbeg 10 this weekend. Loving both. Also a small batch Canadian rye, lot 40. Absolute bargain

I am in a similar situation to the OP, 22 and wanting to get into Scotch with my only experience being Dewar's White Label which had elements I liked and some I didn't. What I decided to do was buy a dram tasting set from Masters of Malt to try different flavor profiles and different regions. Mine should be here in a week and is comprised of Balveine Doublewood 12, Highland Park 12, Laphroaig 10, Longrow Peated, and Glendronach 12.

Top Bottom