What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

I got the 1st Gen Tradere a few years ago in trade for a straight razor. Been searching for a Gen 2 since then, and finally had my first shave with this one yesterday. Great shave BTW ....... :001_smile
P1020675.JPG

P1020676.JPG

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Reply posted prematurely .....

The handle is certainly similar. Good luck with it.

Cheers,
Kevin

Thank you, Kevin! I'm really thinking Canadian and here's why... I'm sure you saw this statement from the seller "Not much is written on the razor's under comb/guard.. only "C374256" on the handle end.. nothing on the part that holds the double edge blade on." So a "C" prefix and no info on the bottom of the comb (My Canadian Bulldog also lacks a Gillette logo or any "Made in ..." nomenclature ), and I just noticed that the case logo has the "Known the World Over" below the diamond but no "Made in USA" above it. The only thing that throws a wrench in the works is the "NOV.15 '04" information on the base of the barrel. Still trying to reconcile that. Time will time!

Last edited:
proxy.php

So my Gillette Slim H4 (4th quarter of 1962) arrived yesterday. Pretty pleased to receive my first vintage. Looks in pretty good condition just the expected age related marks such as some of the black numbering come away. Going to give it a bit of a clean today and hopefully shave with it tomorrow. I've already put a blade in, alignment seems fine and adjustments are working. Bought it off Etsy for $15 with $14 shipping to UK so £24.15 when converted to £'s.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
proxy.php

So my Gillette Slim H4 (4th quarter of 1962) arrived yesterday. Pretty pleased to receive my first vintage. Looks in pretty good condition just the expected age related marks such as some of the black numbering come away. Going to give it a bit of a clean today and hopefully shave with it tomorrow. I've already put a blade in, alignment seems fine and adjustments are working. Bought it off Etsy for $15 with $14 shipping to UK so £24.15 when converted to £'s.
Nice pick up! What will be your cleaning method?

Nice pick up! What will be your cleaning method?
I'm thinking a soak in warm water and washing up liquid followed by toothbrush and bathroom foam scrub. Repeat if required then maybe a Polish. First time cleaning a vintage but from what I've read this seems to be the most popular method and the razor's not filled with gunk so this should work.

I'm thinking a soak in warm water and washing up liquid followed by toothbrush and bathroom foam scrub. Repeat if required then maybe a Polish. First time cleaning a vintage but from what I've read this seems to be the most popular method and the razor's not filled with gunk so this should work.

+1 to this. What polish will you use on it?

KeenDogg

Just remember, no bleach ingredients or Kaboom! If you polish, use MAAS or Flitz. You can use mother'polish but be very gentle. I use a toothbrush when I use mother's.

Just remember, no bleach ingredients or Kaboom! If you polish, use MAAS or Flitz. You can use mother'polish but be very gentle. I use a toothbrush when I use mother's.

I've only ever used Flitz. Is it better than MAAS? Which is your favorite to use on nickel plated razors?

KeenDogg

I think Flitz will do just fine. Mothers polish is my choice but one must be careful beca use it has abraisives.

Top Bottom