What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

So I bought a Rockwell 6s yesterday. Excited to try it. Read great things about it. Can't wait for it to arrive. I have been going back and forth on this for a while.

I bought one before Christmas and I'm very pleased with the razor , I think you are going to be happy with your choice. I find the Rockwell 6s to be smooth shaving and efficient .

Glenn

Hi Folks!

Yesterday evening, I surprisingly got my first old / vintage safety razor. From what I found on the forum, it is a Gillette Rocket Parat. It only states Brit. Pat., has the Gillette Logo and a mark II. I hang around with my 20 years older neighbour yesterday evening, had a random chat and drunk some bear, watching the new Walking Dead episode broadcasted on Fox. He is a collector of many many things which his wife is not very comfortable with...from what I understood. We do not know that well as I moved here just a few months ago.
I raised the topic shaving and that I shave with a safety razor and so on. Immediately, he stood up, went to another room and got back with a couple of old boar shaving brushes (all made in the GDR, DDR, former East-Germany, by the Mühle company) AND a couple of old safety razors. Some in pure brass, others nickel / chromium (?) plated. One with a Bakelite head. You guys can imagine how my eyes got huuuuuuuuge. I do not know the story from the WD episode anymore..., but, in the end of that day, he gave me the old Gillette razor.

I just tried to clean it and polish it as good as possible, and here it is. The mechanic works flawlessly, the plating is pretty good, only some minor plating issues on the cap (but really nothing huge and I now noticed that with my nails I can get rid off the "stuff" that is still on there, so maybe need more polishing, cleaning). I now put some silicon-oil in the mechanics just to protect it and tomorrow, I am going to have my first shave with it. I am excited like a little boy. Crazy.
He also gave me a boar brush with an ugly (GDR-like) handle, but as the brush seems to be like new, I also took it. I felt so blessed that I will have to and want to give him something as a big Thank You although he does not want anything in return. His wife and him are really nice.

Enough texting, this is my first entry in this forum-section.

To all of you, have a nice day.

Cheers
IMG_20170221_140217.jpg
IMG_20170221_132302.jpg
IMG_20170221_132227.jpg
IMG_20170221_132211.jpg
IMG_20170221_132154.jpg

Christian

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
So I bought a Rockwell 6s yesterday. Excited to try it. Read great things about it. Can't wait for it to arrive. I have been going back and forth on this for a while.

You will love it! Despite my infatuation with vintage razors, I still love shaving with a modern stainless steel masterpiece from time to time. And the 6s is a winner in my book.

Hi Folks!

Yesterday evening, I surprisingly got my first old / vintage safety razor. From what I found on the forum, it is a Gillette Rocket Parat. It only states Brit. Pat., has the Gillette Logo and a mark II. I hang around with my 20 years older neighbour yesterday evening, had a random chat and drunk some bear, watching the new Walking Dead episode broadcasted on Fox. He is a collector of many many things which his wife is not very comfortable with...from what I understood. We do not know that well as I moved here just a few months ago.
I raised the topic shaving and that I shave with a safety razor and so on. Immediately, he stood up, went to another room and got back with a couple of old boar shaving brushes (all made in the GDR, DDR, former East-Germany, by the Mühle company) AND a couple of old safety razors. Some in pure brass, others nickel / chromium (?) plated. One with a Bakelite head. You guys can imagine how my eyes got huuuuuuuuge. I do not know the story from the WD episode anymore..., but, in the end of that day, he gave me the old Gillette razor.

I just tried to clean it and polish it as good as possible, and here it is. The mechanic works flawlessly, the plating is pretty good, only some minor plating issues on the cap (but really nothing huge and I now noticed that with my nails I can get rid off the "stuff" that is still on there, so maybe need more polishing, cleaning). I now put some silicon-oil in the mechanics just to protect it and tomorrow, I am going to have my first shave with it. I am excited like a little boy. Crazy.
He also gave me a boar brush with an ugly (GDR-like) handle, but as the brush seems to be like new, I also took it. I felt so blessed that I will have to and want to give him something as a big Thank You although he does not want anything in return. His wife and him are really nice.

Enough texting, this is my first entry in this forum-section.

To all of you, have a nice day.

CheersView attachment 763275 View attachment 763276 View attachment 763277 View attachment 763278 View attachment 763279
Christian

That's a beautiful razor! I'm sure somebody more knowledgeable than me will be along shortly to let you know just how great that friend's gift is.

Antique store find- I THINK it is a 1941 Milord? Anyone confirm?

It was in rough shape very gunky but cleaned up really nice. The lady probably would have asked more than $7 for it if it looked like this :) thank goodness there are a few places that still just pass along the razors without jacking up the prices to ridiculousness...

Question - Was production on the Milord halted like it was for the Ranger Tech, when we entered into WWII?

I suspect that production on almost _everything_ was halted. I read somewhere else that during the war, the only thing they were making domestically was blades, and even most of those went to the war effort. (They made razors, but only for the military). Makes you wonder how many people made money smuggling them in from Gillette Canada.

Hi Guys,

I've been shaving with a double edge safety razor for about a month now - I've been lurking a lot on the forum getting hints and tips from all of you and things seem to be going well so far.

This past weekend however I was visiting family and when my mother in law found out I've been into this hobby she mentioned that she had an old razor and that I was welcome to have it. She's not entirely sure but it belonged to either her husband (my wife's father) who had passed away some years ago or HIS father. Possibly they both used it at some point in their lives. I eagerly accepted her offer and she also gave me an Old Spice Shaving Mug to go with it.

Some research tells me this is almost certainly a Gillette Parat razor - Gillette logo, Made in England, Brit Pat 694093 and the II marking as well. The knob is exactly the same size as the handle which is what distinguishes it from a standard Rocket. It's in great shape (after some cleaning) and works flawlessly... Moreover I've used it twice so far and really enjoy the shave it gives me - it really feels like a nicer razor than the Edwin Jagger DE89 I started with.

My question though is about the story behind the Parat razor. My understanding is that the Parat was sold originally in the German market correct? Does anybody know if it was ever sold in North America (Canadian specifically)? Since my father in law (or his father) was likely the original purchaser of this razor and both lived in Canada I really had trouble at first believing that I actually had a Parat so I kept checking it over and over.

Honestly before this point I hadn't expected to ever own a vintage razor and I'm really honoured to have inherited it from my wife's family. I guess I'm just trying to understand more about this particular model because what I think I know about it feels inconsistent and that bothers my mild OCD. :)

GilletteParat3.jpg RazorMug4.jpg

I am going to have my first shave with it. I am excited like a little boy. Crazy.

Congratulations! I've only used my Parat twice so far but I think you're really going to enjoy shaving with yours! I was really impressed with how small and nimble on my face it felt compared to my DE89.

Some research tells me this is almost certainly a Gillette Parat razor
Congratulations on the family heirloom! on Feb 7 (page 520) I post about my family heirloom, getting a rare razor is something special, i hope you (like me) get many happy shaves with it and past it on to family down the road!

P.S. you should you do "Hall of Fame" post so we all can welcome you to B&B, then in SOTD tell us about your shave with this Rare Razor

Congratulations on the family heirloom! on Feb 7 (page 520) I post about my family heirloom, getting a rare razor is something special, i hope you (like me) get many happy shaves with it and past it on to family down the road!

And congratulations on yours as well. Cheers to great shaves and family heirlooms!

Nice Parat! I love how the knob extends out when the blade doors are closed. I hope to find a Rocket in the wild someday!!
Congrats on the razor, and for having such a generous mother in law!!

A set of Fatboys, why? First razor (a F1) had a uneven blade gap, so order 2nd razor thinking first needed to be sent in for repair, found that it had a bent T-bar fixed after seeing the problem was just the T-bar from swapping T-bar from 2nd razor. 2nd razor (a G3) adjustable mechanism (dial/plate) was frozen. Hot water and Dawn soak reheating the water hourly for 6 hours, being eager to get it working put a pot on the stove low-med heat, the first 15mins got the adjuster plate to move a bit, 15mins more got the dial to turn, then a overnight soak off stove. Dial turn freely, adjuster plate still needs some help, looking for a place that i can use a ultrasonic cleaner. Both are reassembled. looking great
FATBOYS1.JPG

Last edited:
@TobyC @Sdm84 Thanks guys!

@NesOne

Very nice one! Which number does it have, please?

Thanks! I haven't tried looking at it, I'll check it tonight when I get home and try and get a good pic of it and/or just post the number on here.

Oh and in case anyone is curious to how I cleaned it: I soaked it overnight in dawn dish soap and hot water (didn't help at all), then tossed it in the dishwasher to sanitize it, and then went at it with Flitz liquid polish with a toothbrush and a rag lol.

You gotta love the silver plated razors - they almost always come out looking brand new!! I have a '22 silver plated New Improved Tuckaway that came out near perfect after the aluminum foil/baking soda treatment, and a light buffing with a microfiber towel.

Enjoy using that!!!

Top Bottom