What's new

Repairing Scales Quandary

This one looked hopeless when I got it. I spent a ridiculous amount of time removing rust off the blade, plus it arrived with the added attraction of broken, warped, and shrunken scales.

I decided to spend too much time restoring it because I liked the engraving on the tang and the logo on the front scale.

There was an active running crack from the pivot-pin hole when I got it. I broke it out so I could glue it up with CA. It's solid and it seems stable. Does anyone know if there is a way to camouflage that glue-line?

I repinned the blade into place so I could remove and refit the wedge - the scales had shrunk and the blade wouldn't close. That bit of surgery went ok and now the blade closes nicely.

I never thought I'd get this far. I figured that there would be a catistrophic failure along the way and I'd have to ditch the scales.

If there is a way to soften or mask that glue line I'll unpin the pivot to deal with it. I may do that anyway just so I can sand down that end to smooth it out.

Any tips on dealing with that glue line will be much appreciated.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I would color some epoxy and fill the crack, then sand and buff out.

Could be a bit too late, but if you mix some dust from sanding the scales in with the glue it will mask it a little

As above . If the scales are celluloid you can mix acetone & the sanding dust to essentially weld the crack but you could also lift the logo & put it on new scales.

Who is the maker ? It looks German but I see a Sheffield mark.

Ahh - this blade.. what a mess this turned out to be. Lesson learned; don't sweat the scales until you know the steel
isn't swiss cheese. I got so ticked off after I realized my error in judgement here that I taped it and tossed it.
Yeah - extreme - I get like that. I didn't scrutinize the back side of the blade well enough. Feh...
But thanks everyone... I'll remember the dust trick for the next one. Live - learn.

I would have breadknifed that blade quite a ways before tossing, but that is me. Learning is sometimes cheap, and sometimes not so cheap.

Phil

Was the celluloid rotten? Celluloid gives off acetic acid (vinegar) as it breaks down, which can corrode even stainless.

Phil

There was a kind of a film of unknown gunk on the inside of the scales that seemed 'off'.

Top Bottom