What's new

The Scandal Sheet: Straights and other stuff

Oh they must have been impressed...not. So I guess that after getting your Harley back from the dealership you got on the bike and "bugged out" back home. BADABOOM! Gonna be a good day.
I was back at my home dealership at the time and they got all the bugs to clean off, no they were not happy with me but I paid a premium for the motorcycle and that is part of their service. Speaking of bugging out, When I had my pharmacy, it was located in an independent grocery store in a little town down here. The manager was Bubba Fink, yep, we had a Bubba running the grocery store. He was a fantastic manager at that. Anywho, I pulled up one day to start the day, as I was walking up to the door he was headed out of the store and we stopped and talked. He was chuckling as we talked looking at all the bug guts on my leather jacket. I can still remember his face as he walked off laughing about it. Haha. Bubba Fink was a good man, grumpy at times, but he had a heart of gold, we lost him to cancer a year or so ago.

Used my Koraat today. It's one of my nicer razors and somehow I feel like it's been a little neglected lately since I got a bunch of nice razors in the last few months. Soap was Beeswax, still going. Very smooth and efficient shave, even with an interruption in the middle to go cut up strawberries for the first grader. Oh, and to watch her while she took her allergy meds. "I like someone to watch me take my medicine. It makes me feel better. But don't shove it in my face, dad. Okay?"

I changed things up slightly. Since I started the DE experiment, I usually do the under-jaw sideways ATG pass with the DE and then do my last south-to-north pass with the straight. But I realized I usually end up picking up more stubble even on the neck, on that last straight pass. So I thought, why not do everything I can with the straight so the DE doesn't have to work so hard.

That was pretty effective. Wasn't much for the DE to do, just a couple patches on each neck hollow, and then right over the adam's apple. A lot less buffing was needed. So, I'll probably start doing it that way going forward...especially now that I feel like my DE technique is settling in.

Speaking of technique, one of our venerable vendors posted a video down in his vendor area on how to assemble a razor and how to hold it while shaving. I found it interesting. Certainly not the way I do things, but then, what do I know?

Did some more listening today, figured I'd stick with Berlioz so I dialed up his Requiem. Good stuff.

Be well.
20240425_071240.jpg

Brought the rattler back out for (faux) (French) Frameback Friday. I have been messing around with my little Escher hone for the past couple weeks and I had finished this one on that prior to my last shave. Today, it felt just a touch rough so after the first pass I did another quick 30 strokes on the stone and stropped it up again. Made a noticeable difference, the rest of the shave was lovely smooth. Got the itch to pull out the FOCS today so I loaded a Treet 7 day into it. Didn't feel exceptionally efficient but it got the job done. Continuing the grip conversation from yesterday, I took note today that while I do hold this one closer to the head, I still maintain my grip right at the balance point and use my other fingers toward the end to stabilize the angle. (in the first pic my middle and ring finger are barely touching, my pinky is doing all the stabilizing). And for upwards strokes, my ring finger (with a longer handle it would be my pinky) is near the head to stabilize things while I pinch closer to the end. Different strokes for different folks.

Be well.
20240426_072807-jpg.1836000
20240425_140526.jpg
20240425_140538.jpg

Attachments

• 20240426_072807.jpg
    20240426_072807.jpg
    610.2 KB · Views: 34
Top Bottom