What's new

Red Wings Iron Ranger boots?

Depends what you call "premium". IMHO for dress shoes & boots, none of those brands are "premium" ... that term is reserved for English shoemakers who are several notches above them. Or maybe those brands are "ultra-premium" and we can knock "premium down to Alfred Sargent and Alden?

I agree, though, there was a shift from all shoes being "repair-able" to being irreparable. I think it was less about manufacturers making conscious decisions and more about the development of new technology: "back in the day" the only way to make shoes resulted in a product that could be resoled and repaired. At some point ... and no doubt linked to the ever-changing world of running shoe manufacture ... we reached the technological point where we could churn out shoes that looked "okay" and were not capable of being resoled. Those are cheaper to make, significantly so, and there you go.
It has even reached the point of shoes with integrated socks.
How a $700 sock with a sole became the hottest sneaker in fashion

Hope I am not derailing this thread but I was a big fan of the Iron Rangers. Absolutely love the red wing company. I fight wildfire up in Canada and the quality of their construction is second to none. Most boots I wear only last me one maybe 1 1/2 seasons. Even less so if I screw up and melt my soles. If the boots are welted I'm up sh*ts creek but my red wings I've been able to get resoled. I had a pair of Irish Setter (their hunting boot line) for 4 seasons and just recently bought a pair of leather steel toe Red Wings. Curious to see how they hold up but I'm sure they'll be superb.

Now I love the Red Wing company and their workmanship but I just can't see myself in the Iron Rangers as a casual boot. They seem to clunky to me (like a workbook), been looking at Wolverines 1000 Mile boots though and they seem a lot slimmer and more refined. Thinking about pulling the trigger on a pair of those

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hope I am not derailing this thread but I was a big fan of the Iron Rangers. Absolutely love the red wing company. I fight wildfire up in Canada and the quality of their construction is second to none. Most boots I wear only last me one maybe 1 1/2 seasons. Even less so if I screw up and melt my soles. If the boots are welted I'm up sh*ts creek but my red wings I've been able to get resoled. I had a pair of Irish Setter (their hunting boot line) for 4 seasons and just recently bought a pair of leather steel toe Red Wings. Curious to see how they hold up but I'm sure they'll be superb.

Now I love the Red Wing company and their workmanship but I just can't see myself in the Iron Rangers as a casual boot. They seem to clunky to me (like a workbook), been looking at Wolverines 1000 Mile boots though and they seem a lot slimmer and more refined. Thinking about pulling the trigger on a pair of those

Red Wing does have a boot they call the Merchant that may be what your looking for. They're built on the same last as the IR's but more slimmed down and without the toe box.

Wait... you fight wildfires and don't wear NFPA certified boots? No wonder why they only last a season and a half.

Maybe you should consider a pair of hotshots or smokejumpers. Probably much cheaper in the long run.

I wear my work boots for weekend homeowner DIY projects and gardening. Iron Rangers might have been decent work boots a 100 years ago but even for my casual use I wouldn't consider them adequate.

Iron Rangers to me are the best casual dress boot - goes great with a pair of jeans, light and comfortable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Wait... you fight wildfires and don't wear NFPA certified boots? No wonder why they only last a season and a half.

Maybe you should consider a pair of hotshots or smokejumpers. Probably much cheaper in the long run.

I wear my work boots for weekend homeowner DIY projects and gardening. Iron Rangers might have been decent work boots a 100 years ago but even for my casual use I wouldn't consider them adequate.

Iron Rangers to me are the best casual dress boot - goes great with a pair of jeans, light and comfortable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I wear certified safety boots. Red Wing makes many steel toe safety boot options. I am a fan of the Iron rangers for their looks and because of the experience I have had with safety boots in the Red Wing line.

proxy.php

I wear certified safety boots. Red Wing makes many steel toe safety boot options. I am a fan of the Iron rangers for their looks and because of the experience I have had with safety boots in the Red Wing line.

I see... must be older Red Wing boots. I think their Loggermax boots used to be NFPA certified, but not any longer.

Since you're going for maybe a lighter, dressier look.. Maybe include Allen Edmonds in your search as well. I'm looking at a pair of Higgins Mill or Daltons myself.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Did some end of the year shopping and got a pair of red wing iron rangers. Went with the brown over the distressed leather look honesty I think I like the distressed look better and they have a lug sole. But they didn't have my size and the brown will fly under the radar in that they look similar enough to a ll bean boot I have and thereby will not cause me any unnecessary grief at the homestead.
This us my second pair of red wing but first iron ranger. I have to say they run big. I had a full 2 foot measure and tried on my size and one under. I take a full size smaller. She explained how a snug fit is the goal because they break in. Now I know why i haven't been in love with my other pair. They are one full size larger than the new ones.

I bought a pair of blacksmiths a month or so ago and then bought 1000 miles. The redwings are better made but the 1000 miles look classier. The red wings also weigh about 20lbs a boot which sucks by days end.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Since I've had my IRs for 10 years now I'm bumping this decade old thread.

Has anyone sent their IRs back to be resoled? I'm interested in the lugged sole that's on the newer version of the boots. Mine are still in great shape but I can't handle the annual risk of bodily injury that comes with the smooth soles. I started wearing them for the season less than a week ago and already had a slip and near fall on some wooden steps in the rain.

Since I've had my IRs for 10 years now I'm bumping this decade old thread.

Has anyone sent their IRs back to be resoled? I'm interested in the lugged sole that's on the newer version of the boots. Mine are still in great shape but I can't handle the annual risk of bodily injury that comes with the smooth soles. I started wearing them for the season less than a week ago and already had a slip and near fall on some wooden steps in the rain.
I've been thinking about the same thing. The smooth sole IRs are pretty treacherous on ice or packed snow. Mine aren't anywhere near needing a resole but it sure would be nice to have the lug sole on them. Looks like Red Wing charges $100 for a resole. Does Red Wing offer gift cards for Christmas? Might be a good Christmas idea.

I have both Blacksmiths and IRs. RW changed the sole on the boot(s) to the Vibram mini lug in the 2017-2017 timeframe.

While I suspect there are all matter of things/materials you could glue/attach on the the bottom of the boots from purpose designed-i.e. rubber anti slip pads to improvised DIY i.e. "traction dots/strips" made w rubber cement/silicon caulk/a glue gun etc. there is only so much traction to be had absent a new and more traction oriented sole.

I just paid 75.00 for full heals and soles on an Allen Edmond dress shoe. Fully acknowledging that AE to RW is not an apples to apple comparison, I imagine a local cobbler would be 100.00 or less for a RW resole without the hassle of having to ship the boots.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Just as a follow up... A local cobber could do the job but said that the Vibram Mini Lug only came in black, not a color I wanted for on my Amber Harness IRs. I took them to the local Red Wing shop they are sending them back to RW, MN for a brown Mini Lug sole for $85+tax and a 6-8 week turn around.

While I was in the shop I asked about a pair of Blacksmiths. The employee who has been there forever said they haven't had a pair of Blacksmiths in the store since last Christmas when she sold a pair, and that they were just notified that RW is eliminating the Blacksmiths from the Heritage line. She could possibly get a pair from another store, but was hesitant that hypothetical store would be willing to give them up.

2 days latter I bought a new/unworn pair of Rough & Tough Blacksmiths from a seller on ebay for $125 below retail. :thumbup1:

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Just as a follow up... A local cobber could do the job but said that the Vibram Mini Lug only came in black, not a color I wanted for on my Amber Harness IRs. I took them to the local Red Wing shop they are sending them back to RW, MN for a brown Mini Lug sole for $85+tax and a 6-8 week turn around.

While I was in the shop I asked about a pair of Blacksmiths. The employee who has been there forever said they haven't had a pair of Blacksmiths in the store since last Christmas when she sold a pair, and that they were just notified that RW is eliminating the Blacksmiths from the Heritage line. She could possibly get a pair from another store, but was hesitant that hypothetical store would be willing to give them up.

2 days latter I bought a new/unworn pair of Rough & Tough Blacksmiths from a seller on ebay for $125 below retail. :thumbup1:
Wow congrats the blacksmith looks very cool!
I went to the RW store the other day with $ burning a hole in my pocket but came away empty. I was thinking about the white bottom line but after trying them on they are not for me in looks and the bottom is essentially flat. Also it looks like it’s a slippery bottom. I wanted to see the roughnecks in person but I didn’t know how rare these birds are. I found a pair on line but not sure I should risk it.

Top Bottom