What's new

Problem cleaning Super Adjustable

Hi all,

I've a Gillette Super Adjustable (black handle). Over the past year or so it has become difficult to twist the opening mechanism as well as to adjust. I can do it, but it's a lot harder than it used to be. Also it sounds "squeaky" when I twist it. We have very hard water around here, so it does get scaly. I've tried boiling, scrubbing, vinegar, baking soda, alcohol - nothing seems to help. The scaly buildup on the black handle is tough to get off, too. I could live with that, but the mechanism is very frustrating.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Michael

I'm not sure if you have one, but I've found an untrasonic cleaner to be very helpful with the removal of mineral deposits in my gillette adjustables. A good soak (for a couple days) in soapy water can be very helpful, too. I'm using simple green, and I'm not sure of that behaves any differently from regular dish soap. Have you tried scrubbing bubbles?
Hope it helps,
-- Chet

Disclaimer: not for use on gold plated razors. CLR/Calcium Lime Rust. I have hard water as well and I do this maybe once a year and on any newly acquired used razor. The CLR breaks up any mineral deposits and any nasty green oxidation as well. IMHO I don't know if anyone else has done this but I love this stuff, just be careful with it. Directions are on the bottle for a reason.

I've had good luck with penetrating oil. Dump it down the top and squirt some around the turn part near the bottom. It should loosen it up. Let it sit a while. It may smell some but the smell goes away fairly soon. Hope you find a fix soon!

Try soaking it in hot soapy water and working the mechanism every few minutes.
My wife's Lady G get crudded shut every month or so and I have to take 10 or so minutes to clean it out so she can change the blade.

Disclaimer: not for use on gold plated razors. CLR/Calcium Lime Rust. I have hard water as well and I do this maybe once a year and on any newly acquired used razor. The CLR breaks up any mineral deposits and any nasty green oxidation as well. IMHO I don't know if anyone else has done this but I love this stuff, just be careful with it. Directions are on the bottle for a reason.

I second CLR!! That stuff is great! I have not found anything that works as good as CLR. I've used it on several razors to decalsify and they came out beautiful and working as good as new.
I've also used Breakfree CLP on used TTO razors that are hard to twist open. I open the razor, turn it upside down and squirt CLP down the handle. I let it penetrate and soak awhile then work the mechanism and it seems to help loosen them up.

Last edited:
You may want to try Remington Gun Oil with teflon and a huge can is a couple of bucks at Walmart in the gun and tackle area. It has a little tube taped to the side; put that in the sprey opening and use it in the openings for the barrel of the handle. Then just work it back and forth. I use it once every year or so on mine.

i've had good luck with penetrating oil. Dump it down the top and squirt some around the turn part near the bottom. It should loosen it up. Let it sit a while. It may smell some but the smell goes away fairly soon. Hope you find a fix soon!

+1

Top Bottom