What's new

Presidential Pen

Assuming you were elected President of the US of A, which of your existing pens and inks would you use for official signing?

You are limited to one ink and pen.

Ink would be some of my vintage Sheaffer's Skrip Permanent Blue-Black.
Pen - I can't decide, and I have a lot less than some of you to pick from.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Probably the nicest pen I have. The Franklin-Christoph B&B Essential. And a black ink cartridge in it. Darn bottle ink is giving me fits lately with proper feed.

Well, at signing ceremonies, the president is expected to give away the multiple pens he uses, and perhaps some that he didn't use. At President Trump's first such signing, he had a case of what a thread on the FPGeeks forum describes as Cross rollerballs. I have a fairly large collection of fountain pens, but at 20 odd pens a ceremony, I'd be buying new ones after a few months in office.

Also, I'd want to use an American pen, but my favorite modern pens are Japanese and German, and my favorite American ones are vintage. Hmm.

Tell you what. Have someone buy up all the Esterbrook Js that can be found, put 9788 nibs in them, restore them to like new shininess and functionality, load them up with Noodler's Bad Belted Kingfisher (not absolutely my favorite blue ink, but good enough, and I'm sticking with the American theme here), and have a tray of them ready at every ceremony. Then smirk as the younger politicians present say "what does this lever do?" and get ink on themselves.

And yes, I do have an Esterbrook with a 9788 in my collection now. Actually, it's a blue SJ, but I could switch the nib to one of my Js.

I'd have a rotation of pens from my collection in my pocket for personal use, but I would only give them away when I really wanted to influence somebody.

Last edited:
I heard the audio from that signing and heard Paul Ryan tell another guy standing there that he had to cap it before putting it in his shirt pocket! Anyway, thats what I thought I heard and got a chuckle out of it. The network commentator guessed the pens were Montblancs (but said he didn't know), to me they clearly looked like Cross Townsends with gold trim - I've learned so much in my three years in the nib forum of B&B!

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
My Pen: I would have one of my old Sheaffer pens fixed. They have gold nibs on them.

My Ink: I love the Peacock Blue color. That's my first choice until I get chewed out about that color.

Guess I should answer the original question - Sheaffer Targa with Platinum Pigmented Blue. Love the inlaid nib and the ink needs to be waterproof for something that important!

Legion

Staff member
My personal pen would be a vintage Parker Vacumatic with laminated celluloid. Writes well, looks nice, and American made. Probably filled with a Noodler's black.

For the ones I gave away... Bic? I'm not giving those freeloaders a nice pen to souvenir.

Last edited:
I don't know about Trump, but I believe Bush and Obama used Cross rollerballs; possibly Townsends as stated above. They are made in the U.S.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I would use the same instrument I use to sign all important documents at work- a purple Crayola crayon.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
....Cross rollerballs; possibly Townsends as stated above. They are made in the U.S.

Some years ago Cross took their pen manufacturing offshore to China. There may be some older USA and Ireland made pens about but they are not new.

Not sure where the Crayola factory is currently. :001_huh:

A fist full of Noodler's Charlies, filled with Dragon Napalm. You could tell the ones I really signed by the burps. Washington would be full of folks with bright orange stained pockets!

Since these are some sort of rollerball that is expected to be given to bill sponsor's or others, why not continue with the something like a Cross or Parker? I have no problem with it. Would I love to see fountain pens used? In an ideal world.

when signing bills its tradition to sign each letter of the name with a different pen, and give the pens away, the last few presidents used the cross townsend, a bill signing can cost 2-4 thousand dollars in pens alone. for me i would probably use my favorite pen for everyday, i think the sailor 1911 large would be a good pen to use.

They don't get to choose. For all bills and signing ceremonies, the President uses a Cross Townsend (in this case, a felt tip version since that is his preference). The White House awarded Cross the contract back when Clinton took office, changing to a rollerball at the same time, since Clinton (and Obama, incidentally) is a leftie. The President smearing his signature as he signs isn't usually a good thing.

$IMGP7756.jpg
Well since Cross pens were mentioned a number of times.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I'd get my Platinum brush pen, loaded with Noodler's Kung Te-cheng.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Did anyone see the news today of President Trump signing executive orders (probably only seen on Fox)? What pen was he using? Was it a felt tip or a broad italic? Very bold signature but looked like a fountain pen to me.

Top Bottom