What's new

Post what nagging injury you have, but still exercise/workout with it.

Three herniated discs in my neck, plantar fasciitis in my left foot, and this year I've developed a nice nagging case of tennis elbow in my right arm. I'm trying to walk about three miles a day but that is it.

While not really an injury, my feet are far and away the most difficult obstacle for me: I wear US size 11eeeeee on my left foot, and 10.5eeeeee on my right. My shoe choices are extremely limited to say the least, and I am constantly dealing with black toenails, pinched toes, and blisters from ill-fitting shoes. I think poorly fitting shoes is what brought on my plantar fasciitis.

Just a few minutes ago I drained a blister on my heel the size of a fifty cent piece, due to a 3.5 mile walk this morning in poorly fitting shoes.

Wouldn't it be worth your while to buy the same shoe in the two sizes you need? Up front cost would be high but i would think that if improperly sized shoes are causing all the issue, the savings in physical grief and medical bills would more the offset the high initial cost.

Last night found Dayton Boots through this site. They build a shoe/boot on demand and there they work with the customer to ensure a proper fit. They show some pretty extreme differentials to meet customer needs. Again high up front but you get footwear that works properly and can be resoled/reheeled when the time comes so will last for many years. Has to be other similar companies around.

http://www.daytonboots.com/

dave

Wouldn't it be worth your while to buy the same shoe in the two sizes you need? Up front cost would be high but i would think that if improperly sized shoes are causing all the issue, the savings in physical grief and medical bills would more the offset the high initial cost.

Last night found Dayton Boots through this site. They build a shoe/boot on demand and there they work with the customer to ensure a proper fit. They show some pretty extreme differentials to meet customer needs. Again high up front but you get footwear that works properly and can be resoled/reheeled when the time comes so will last for many years. Has to be other similar companies around.

dave
Dave, that is a great suggestion and link

dave
My father had a pair of custom-made shoes ... they cost $275 in 1970, which is equivalent to about $1600 today. I went with him to the store in NYC so he could get fitted, and then he waited several months for them to be crafted.

But they were his favorite pair, he kept raving about how comfortable they were, and when they started to wear out he sent them back to the factory for a refurbishing. Eventually, he got a second pair so that he wouldn't ever have to be without them. The company still had his last on file, so it was easy for them to build a second pair without him having to go get fitted again.

The shoes he got were Murray Space Shoes, a fore-runner of the Kalso Earth Shoe, with an inverted heel. They looked odd, but he didn't care about that. My father was all about Function over Fashion, any day.

My father had a pair of custom-made shoes ... they cost $275 in 1970, which is equivalent to about $1600 today. I went with him to the store in NYC so he could get fitted, and then he waited several months for them to be crafted.

But they were his favorite pair, he kept raving about how comfortable they were, and when they started to wear out he sent them back to the factory for a refurbishing. Eventually, he got a second pair so that he wouldn't ever have to be without them. The company still had his last on file, so it was easy for them to build a second pair without him having to go get fitted again.

The shoes he got were Murray Space Shoes, a fore-runner of the Kalso Earth Shoe, with an inverted heel. They looked odd, but he didn't care about that. My father was all about Function over Fashion, any day.
Did he have any issues or size difference with his feet..?

Did he have any issues or size difference with his feet..?
I don't think his feet were different sizes, but he did have issues with fallen arhes (so do I) and was always having trouble with regular shoes cramping his toes. The Murray design uses a wide, box-toe, so there was plenty of toe room. And the laces were on the side of the foot instead of directly on top of the instep.

I don't think his feet were different sizes, but he did have issues with fallen arhes (so do I) and was always having trouble with regular shoes cramping his toes. The Murray design uses a wide, box-toe, so there was plenty of toe room. And the laces were on the side of the foot instead of directly on top of the instep.
I had similar issues with arches, but when I started running in high school the problem improved.

Have been sidelined from my walking for three weeks, with severe glute and piriformis strain. My chiropractor has been treating with manipulation, stretches, heat, and TENS.

He cleared me to walk a mile a day last week, and that went okay. He bumped me up to two miles starting tomorrow. Hopefully that will go okay too.

Piriformis injuries are no fun; when mine went out, it inflamed my sciatic nerve as well, basically put me flat on my back for a few days. After three weeks I would say I am back to about 60% recovered.

Have been sidelined from my walking for three weeks, with severe glute and piriformis strain. My chiropractor has been treating with manipulation, stretches, heat, and TENS.

He cleared me to walk a mile a day last week, and that went okay. He bumped me up to two miles starting tomorrow. Hopefully that will go okay too.

Piriformis injuries are no fun; when mine went out, it inflamed my sciatic nerve as well, basically put me flat on my back for a few days. After three weeks I would say I am back to about 60% recovered.
Ouch
Are you improving , and did he prescribe pain meds?

Yep, I am finally cleared to go back up to three miles a day, as of yesterday. Nearly killed me though; hopefully the pain is temporary this time. In addition to the office treatments, I've been taking muscle relaxers and tons of ibuprofen, and sleeping on a heating pad every night.

I'd strongly suggest all walkers and runners pay very close attention to their glutes and piriformis; an injury to those muscle groups can put you off your feet for months.

If I ever manage to get over this, careful glute and piriformis stretching will be performed before and after every exercise session.

Have you have tried foam rollers for self massage of tight muscles?

I also used a small medicine ball when i had a messed up small deep glut muscle. You could sit atop the ball, pinpoint the point of pain/ the knot, and work the spot using as much body weight as you could stand to massage/roll on the knot. Was also working with a physio for this but between office sessions you have to do something and this and lots of stretching at least provided some relief.

Injury was the result of a from behind hockey hit in a non-contact game and i ended up missing almost a season and a half of hockey.

dave

Last edited:
I haven't tried foam rollers or medicine balls, but will look into them. My chiro actually suggested a medicine ball, but I haven't picked one up yet. Need to do that.

I am going to go try another three miles this afternoon, and I'm already dreading it. Last night I could barely stand up on my feet. Hopefully today will go better.

We just tried an afternoon walk. Yesterday's snow shoveled from sidewalks, followed by a night of freezing rain and now, well below freezing temperatures have left sidewalks a long scary sheet of ice. Roads are fine, sidewalks no dice!

dave

Yep, I am finally cleared to go back up to three miles a day, as of yesterday. Nearly killed me though; hopefully the pain is temporary this time. In addition to the office treatments, I've been taking muscle relaxers and tons of ibuprofen, and sleeping on a heating pad every night.

I'd strongly suggest all walkers and runners pay very close attention to their glutes and piriformis; an injury to those muscle groups can put you off your feet for months.

If I ever manage to get over this, careful glute and piriformis stretching will be performed before and after every exercise session.
Thanks for letting others know of this important advise, it can prevent nagging injuries.

I haven't tried foam rollers or medicine balls, but will look into them. My chiro actually suggested a medicine ball, but I haven't picked one up yet. Need to do that.

I am going to go try another three miles this afternoon, and I'm already dreading it. Last night I could barely stand up on my feet. Hopefully today will go better.
The ball can significantly help or improve nagging injuries..I tried it in past for injury recovery therapy after surgery.

Have you have tried foam rollers for self massage of tight muscles?

I also used a small medicine ball when i had a messed up small deep glut muscle. You could sit atop the ball, pinpoint the point of pain/ the knot, and work the spot using as much body weight as you could stand to massage/roll on the knot. Was also working with a physio for this but between office sessions you have to do something and this and lots of stretching at least provided some relief.

Injury was the result of a from behind hockey hit in a non-contact game and i ended up missing almost a season and a half of hockey.

dave
Dave
How's your nagging issues, any progress?

Currently suffering some weightlifting related injuries: shoulder impingement in my right shoulder that is killing my bench and shoulder presses (I suspect bursitis), and also sacroilliac dysfunction in my lower back that is killing my squats and deadlifts.

My plan: lay off the bench and shoulder presses for a few weeks and see if the shoulder improves, and add in some sacroilliac exercises to hopefully strengthen my lower back and regain some mobility.

My SI joint isn't completely out yet, but I feel like it could lock up on me at any time.

my hip had been bothering me for a while, I was having trouble with my squats. It got to a point where a would really dread them. pain getting up in the morning, getting in/out of the car. I took a little time off the heavy squatting, and we reworked it. Now my squats feel good and I'm getting the weight back up. no more hip pain, I guess it was a question of mechanics.

my hip had been bothering me for a while, I was having trouble with my squats. It got to a point where a would really dread them. pain getting up in the morning, getting in/out of the car. I took a little time off the heavy squatting, and we reworked it. Now my squats feel good and I'm getting the weight back up. no more hip pain, I guess it was a question of mechanics.
My best friend had 2 hips replaced at age 38.....

Just did full week of weightlifting with my right shoulder on fire...ouch!

Shoulder injuries seem to be the bane of weightlifting. At the suggestuon of my physical therapist, I have given up doing any overhead presses completely, and am very careful and cautious with bench and incline bench presses. The pain and limited mobility simply aren't worth it. I will leave the military presses and heavy bench work to the younger bucks.

Top Bottom