What's new

Post what nagging injury you have, but still exercise/workout with it.

Three herniated discs in my neck, plantar fasciitis in my left foot, and this year I've developed a nice nagging case of tennis elbow in my right arm. I'm trying to walk about three miles a day but that is it.

While not really an injury, my feet are far and away the most difficult obstacle for me: I wear US size 11eeeeee on my left foot, and 10.5eeeeee on my right. My shoe choices are extremely limited to say the least, and I am constantly dealing with black toenails, pinched toes, and blisters from ill-fitting shoes. I think poorly fitting shoes is what brought on my plantar fasciitis.

Just a few minutes ago I drained a blister on my heel the size of a fifty cent piece, due to a 3.5 mile walk this morning in poorly fitting shoes.

Three herniated discs in my neck, plantar fasciitis in my left foot, and this year I've developed a nice nagging case of tennis elbow in my right arm. I'm trying to walk about three miles a day but that is it.

While not really an injury, my feet are far and away the most difficult obstacle for me: I wear US size 11eeeeee on my left foot, and 10.5eeeeee on my right. My shoe choices are extremely limited to say the least, and I am constantly dealing with black toenails, pinched toes, and blisters from ill-fitting shoes. I think poorly fitting shoes is what brought on my plantar fasciitis.

Just a few minutes ago I drained a blister on my heel the size of a fifty cent piece, due to a 3.5 mile walk this morning in poorly fitting shoes.
Why are your feet different sizes..what is black toe nails from?

Don't know why the difference in my size. I have to buy size 11 and try to tighten my right shoe down as much as I can to fit the small foot.

Black toenails are from wearing shoes too narrow in the toe. Repetitive stress on pinched toes causes blood to pool under the toenails and turn them black; in severe cases the toenail comes off.

@alex2363 ... did you find any Arnica yet?

If not, I get mine from Amazon ... great price, fast service.
I've even got the 1^month subscription on it.

https://www.amazon.com/Boiron-Arnic...id=1474876639&sr=8-3&keywords=arnica+gel&th=1

There having some kind of 20%=coupon sale when I view this page.
The coupon may or may not show up at your end,
but Arnica is worth it even at Azn Feg. Price of $6.88

Arnica really does the job when it comes to pain relief.
Check it out.
Got to try some tonight.... his is better than Ben gay, less menthol and icy feel, I love it. $20161011_224512.jpg

Don't know why the difference in my size. I have to buy size 11 and try to tighten my right shoe down as much as I can to fit the small foot.

Black toenails are from wearing shoes too narrow in the toe. Repetitive stress on pinched toes causes blood to pool under the toenails and turn them black; in severe cases the toenail comes off.
Are you in danger of it too?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I would be very cautious with black toe nails. I would be afraid of gangrene, related to diabetes. Disclaimer: I'm an RN, not, repeat, NOT a doctor, and my advice is worth what you paid for it.

I've not lost one completely yet, but have had some pretty awful-looking, infected, bloody toes. Had to have surgery on one toe years ago, and have half a toenail removed plus a chunk of one toe that was rotten beneath the nail. It is a constant issue, has been all my life.

Just had blood work done a couple of months ago, no diabetes thank goodness. If I ever do get diabetes, my feet are goners, because injuries to them are constant due to poor fitting shoes.

I've not lost one completely yet, but have had some pretty awful-looking, infected, bloody toes. Had to have surgery on one toe years ago, and have half a toenail removed plus a chunk of one toe that was rotten beneath the nail. It is a constant issue, has been all my life.

Just had blood work done a couple of months ago, no diabetes thank goodness. If I ever do get diabetes, my feet are goners, because injuries to them are constant due to poor fitting shoes.
Hopefully doing workouts through the nagging pain can minimize or slow down the condition.

I would be very cautious with black toe nails. I would be afraid of gangrene, related to diabetes. Disclaimer: I'm an RN, not, repeat, NOT a doctor, and my advice is worth what you paid for it.
But it's worth alot since it makes proper sense

FarmerTan

But it's worth alot since it makes proper sense
I just throw my two cents in all over B&B, it seems, lol. I just get nervous when I see this because I had a patient once in nursing school that had a black great toe. They removed half his foot. A week later one of the first surgeries I got to see was a guy getting a below the knee amputation. I found out during surgery that it was the same guy. Shook me up a little. Then about 2 years ago my best man in my wedding 28 years ago died basically from being a non compliant diabetic, after losing a foot 2 years prior. So alarms were going off in my head, lol. That's why I was stepping outside my scope of practice, hence the disclaimer.

I just throw my two cents in all over B&B, it seems, lol. I just get nervous when I see this because I had a patient once in nursing school that had a black great toe. They removed half his foot. A week later one of the first surgeries I got to see was a guy getting a below the knee amputation. I found out during surgery that it was the same guy. Shook me up a little. Then about 2 years ago my best man in my wedding 28 years ago died basically from being a non compliant diabetic, after losing a foot 2 years prior. So alarms were going off in my head, lol. That's why I was stepping outside my scope of practice, hence the disclaimer.
So it spreads from the toe to the knee?

FarmerTan

Gangrene is especially ugly because it is anaerobic, as opposed to aerobic. Most antibiotics fight aerobic bacterium. And if I recall from my microbiology class correctly, the gangrenous tissue spreads within certain rules; it creeps up from a distal place, like a toe, and then up the leg, until it is stopped, only through amputation. The good news is that if the person changes the things that they can, like diet and blood sugar monitoring, it can save them. If I'm thinking clearly, as it is early this morning, lol, diabetes is nearly the only way gangrene comes about. Sugar thickens blood, narrowing the small vessels, causing nerve death through lack of oxygen. The person doesn't feel their feet, fingers, etc. They stub their toe, don't feel it's as bad as it is, don't look at/examine the injury, and infection sets in. Sometimes they CAN'T see it because their eyes are affected by the diabetes. It is just an UGLY disease. Another of the many reasons I'd like to travel back in time and punch Adam in the nose! The incredible design of the human body screams out that we were not designed to be only alive for 80ish years. We are wonderfully made.

Gangrene is especially ugly because it is anaerobic, as opposed to aerobic. Most antibiotics fight aerobic bacterium. And if I recall from my microbiology class correctly, the gangrenous tissue spreads within certain rules; it creeps up from a distal place, like a toe, and then up the leg, until it is stopped, only through amputation. The good news is that if the person changes the things that they can, like diet and blood sugar monitoring, it can save them. If I'm thinking clearly, as it is early this morning, lol, diabetes is nearly the only way gangrene comes about. Sugar thickens blood, narrowing the small vessels, causing nerve death through lack of oxygen. The person doesn't feel their feet, fingers, etc. They stub their toe, don't feel it's as bad as it is, don't look at/examine the injury, and infection sets in. Sometimes they CAN'T see it because their eyes are affected by the diabetes. It is just an UGLY disease. Another of the many reasons I'd like to travel back in time and punch Adam in the nose! The incredible design of the human body screams out that we were not designed to be only alive for 80ish years. We are wonderfully made.
That is some good information. Especially stumping the toe and possibly causing gangrene if not attended to. However, through designer medicine and procedures we are living longer but also with better quality of life. Nagging injuries seems to come with those luxuries though.

FarmerTan

That is some good information. Especially stumping the toe and possibly causing gangrene if not attended to. However, through designer medicine and procedures we are living longer but also with better quality of life. Nagging injuries seems to come with those luxuries though.
The vast majority of my career was spent in geriatric nursing, and it was a blessing. Now that I'm doing Psych nursing I find I'm losing a lot of my knowledge in physical medical health nursing, so I welcome the chances to answer some of these questions. And yes, for all it's faults modern medicine is incredible. My nephew is a Pharmacist in a cardiac hospital, and how he remembers all those meds are beyond me! The side effects, the combinations of drug interactions.... Makes my head spin. Wow!

The vast majority of my career was spent in geriatric nursing, and it was a blessing. Now that I'm doing Psych nursing I find I'm losing a lot of my knowledge in physical medical health nursing, so I welcome the chances to answer some of these questions. And yes, for all it's faults modern medicine is incredible. My nephew is a Pharmacist in a cardiac hospital, and how he remembers all those meds are beyond me! The side effects, the combinations of drug interactions.... Makes my head spin. Wow!
Some of those side effects are very interesting. Such as seeing colors in vision, constipation, nueasea, cramps, suicidal thoughts ect

FarmerTan

Some of those side effects are very interesting. Such as seeing colors in vision, constipation, nueasea, cramps, suicidal thoughts ect

It's funny you mention suicidal thoughts as a side effect. I took Bactrum for a prostate issue, as I recall. May have been Cipro, may have been for a sinus infection, or any combination of those 4 elements. Anyway, whatever. I had reactions to both that, at least at the time, were not even listed with the FDA. One made me extremely depressed, not truly suicidal, but if you had come at me with a knife, I would have lifted my head so you could slice my throat. The other made me angry at any real or imagined imposition, or if I took something you said I'd twist it into an insult, etc. On that one I had just been turned down for a first shift position that I was the best candidate for. So I wrote a note, copied it, put SEVERAL copies under everyone's door. Basically said that I never got first because I was the unofficial 2nd shift manager without the pay. I brought a copy home for my wife to read. She asked me if I wanted to get fired. The next day my boss called me into her office and said the company offered free psychological services to the employees that wanted it. She really was a great lady in a crappier job than I had, lol. But I thought SHE was the nutty one. Long story short, it took 2 weeks after I got off the drug before I thought there was anything wrong with what I had written. But here's the kicker: I mentioned it to my Pharmacist. She turned white as a ghost. It seems she has a best friend that took it, almost certain it was Bactrum, now that I think about it. Her friend STILL had psychosis 2 YEARS after she used it. Scary stuff. I know that only about 2% of what you read on the Interweb is true, but do some research into what people say happened to them with certain antibiotics that the FDA doesn't bother to warn us about. It'll blow your mind. Sorry for the ramblings, lol.

It's funny you mention suicidal thoughts as a side effect. I took Bactrum for a prostate issue, as I recall. May have been Cipro, may have been for a sinus infection, or any combination of those 4 elements. Anyway, whatever. I had reactions to both that, at least at the time, were not even listed with the FDA. One made me extremely depressed, not truly suicidal, but if you had come at me with a knife, I would have lifted my head so you could slice my throat. The other made me angry at any real or imagined imposition, or if I took something you said I'd twist it into an insult, etc. On that one I had just been turned down for a first shift position that I was the best candidate for. So I wrote a note, copied it, put SEVERAL copies under everyone's door. Basically said that I never got first because I was the unofficial 2nd shift manager without the pay. I brought a copy home for my wife to read. She asked me if I wanted to get fired. The next day my boss called me into her office and said the company offered free psychological services to the employees that wanted it. She really was a great lady in a crappier job than I had, lol. But I thought SHE was the nutty one. Long story short, it took 2 weeks after I got off the drug before I thought there was anything wrong with what I had written. But here's the kicker: I mentioned it to my Pharmacist. She turned white as a ghost. It seems she has a best friend that took it, almost certain it was Bactrum, now that I think about it. Her friend STILL had psychosis 2 YEARS after she used it. Scary stuff. I know that only about 2% of what you read on the Interweb is true, but do some research into what people say happened to them with certain antibiotics that the FDA doesn't bother to warn us about. It'll blow your mind. Sorry for the ramblings, lol.
Interesting story thanks for sharing this...so did the you have psychosis 2 years after use too?

Top Bottom