What's new

Pomades - I Never Learn The Lesson

Good evening gents. Well, it finally hit me straight in my gob this evening. The thunderous right hand out of nowhere was mean old Mr. Reality finally getting it through my head I cannot use old school type pomades on my hair.

Many of you who haunt the grooming forum know of my dodgy use of petrolatum based pomades and brilliantine with mineral oil. Heck, even the castor oil versions of brilliantine are dicey at best. It all has to do with light coloured hair. Maybe some guys can pull it off but I either find I have too little on my hair or more likely, too much. Tonight was another episode in futility and it was my own fault. I was getting ready for my daughter's band concert and wanted to treat myself to some hair grooming. I went with American Crew pomade and immediately knew I used too much even though it was only a marble sized amount.

Even though I tried to spike it up a bit I knew if I left it in there within an hour my hair would be laying flat and looking stringy. And the heck of it is, I have a nice full head of hair. It even has a bit of natural wave and body to it. It is just the colour. A sandy blonde shade that just plays havoc in getting a nice look without appearing shabby. And the Crew pomade is not really all that old school. It is not petro based. It uses hydrogenated castor oil. It mattered not. My hair looked just horrid. So unless I want to go the slick back look, pomades will not work for me. It is just time to accept it. More's the pity since I REALLY like the idea of the old school stuff like Yardley's solid brilliantine.

I finally washed it out and used Cool Grease red instead. Much better. I think the new(er) school water based products are going to work better for me. So far the Cool Grease works well but the blue version is a bit less tacky feeling. Either way, the supply is spotty at best. So I need more suggestions for products. One gent suggested Grant's Golden Pomade and it looks promising. How about others?

Regards, Todd

I like to mix it up a bit, a tiny dallop of brylcreem and some axe messy paste you mix them up and it creates a shiny but manageable hold if that makes sense

... I cannot use old school type pomades on my hair.

I was into pomades for a while. It just ended up making my hair look bad even if I only used a little. It made my clean hair look like I hadn't showered in a week but with no sign of bed head. I had to just give up, to stop trying, to let go of ever recapturing that initial phase when pomade seemed like a good idea. I never looked back.

I'm trying to find a cream that has similar hold as Groom & Clean, but won't look greasy in blonde hair. Any suggestions?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I'm telling you guys - there's a reason this stuff has been around for ages;

attachment.php

The last while I've used Clubman gel, American Crew Pomade, American Crew Forming Cream, American Crew Fiber, Groom and Clean, and Brylcreem. A reviewer on Amazon noted this:

AC pomade is medium hold, high shine
AC fiber is high hold, low shine
AC grooming cream is high hold, high shine
AC forming cream is medium hold, medium shine

I tend to agree from my experiences with 3/4 of them. I don't use the AC Pomade any more (seems too heavy) and the Fiber never worked for me. Never tried the AC Groom Cream, but the Forming Cream is just right like Goldilocks. I've been using the Forming Cream solely the last several months now. The Clubman is OK (reminds me of the generic grocery store "blue gel" stuff), Groom and Clean is not bad (kind of like "blue gel" in a tube in a way), and I only like Brlycreem when my hair is really short after a tight haircut. Hope that is helpful Todd!

I'm telling you guys - there's a reason this stuff has been around for ages;

attachment.php

Hi Phil. Indeed, I have used Clubman gel before. It was okay but left me with flaky scalp and quite a bit of itching. Otherwise, good product.

Eyebright, thanks again for that suggestion. I have seen it posted before but forgot about it. Thanks.

Regards, Todd

The last while I've used Clubman gel, American Crew Pomade, American Crew Forming Cream, American Crew Fiber, Groom and Clean, and Brylcreem. A reviewer on Amazon noted this:

AC pomade is medium hold, high shine
AC fiber is high hold, low shine
AC grooming cream is high hold, high shine
AC forming cream is medium hold, medium shine

I tend to agree from my experiences with 3/4 of them. I don't use the AC Pomade any more (seems too heavy) and the Fiber never worked for me. Never tried the AC Groom Cream, but the Forming Cream is just right like Goldilocks. I've been using the Forming Cream solely the last several months now. The Clubman is OK (reminds me of the generic grocery store "blue gel" stuff), Groom and Clean is not bad (kind of like "blue gel" in a tube in a way), and I only like Brlycreem when my hair is really short after a tight haircut. Hope that is helpful Todd!

+1 on the AC stuff. Also, there is the hard-to-find AC Molding Clay, which is high hold and medium shine, which might work for you. Also, the new Suave Professionals pomade is worth trying for a couple bucks. It holds well and leaves a natural shine, not too greasy.

I have light brown/ sandy blond hair. I've tried most all of them through the years and also find Groom and Clean and Pinaud Clubman gel work the best. I've only had flaking with Clubman when I've over-applied it.

You know gents, I have never tried Groom and Clean so it should be on the list. Our local Wally World quit carrying it a few years ago. I need to search it out.

Regards, Todd

Take this with a grain of salt from a Carhardt-wearing contractor redneck with a ballcap screwed to my head most of the time.

There are two things that work for me when I need to be presentable. Here is a frightening pic, so those with queasy stomachs should turn away.
This is AoS hair gel with bergomot, which I love. I literally had time to dunk my head in the sink, dry, apply some gel, and when it dries you just run a comb through your rat's nest.
Now if I want it lay down a little more and look less combed, I put a little AC pomade, and a dab of AC fiber together in my hands, and rub vigorously for about 10 seconds to warm it up. I then run it from back to front twice, then front to back with my fingers only in damp hair. I get a style that is fine for a suit and lays down more than that in the picture, but lacks that super-groomed mad-men look, which I'm just not cool with.
Might work for you...
Brent.

Hi Brent. Actually it is a great photo. Your hair is like mine except mine may be a touch lighter. At least in the summer time when the sun bleaches it a bit. Mine does not have the slight auburn cast your hair does but I am just guessing since many times photos make hair look much darker than it really is. I know most people think my hair is an off brown-ish colour when they see a photo but call me blondie when they see me in person.

I can make my hair do what yours does pretty easily. Particularly when it is fresh cut. After it grows about 3/4 inch it really lays down. And good call on the AOS hair gel with Bergamot. I had forgotten all about it. I was given a sample package of it when I bought my AOS shave soaps last year and remembered thinking then it was one heck of a good product. Really one of the best hair gels I have used. Thank you for jogging the memory loose.

BTW, is that a pulled back mullet you are sporting in that photo? Rock on dude!

Regards, Todd

Top Bottom