What's new

PIF - Random Acts of Kindness in Memory of Sue Moore

This is one of the best ideas for a PIF that I recall seeing in a while, aside from the original PIF in Sue's honor that generated the goods in the first place.

The funny thing about performing a simple kind act is that it usually does not require any great effort. In almost all cases it only requires paying a little bit of attention to what it going on around you and taking a moment of your time to act on what you see. Two things that so many people seem to do very little of these days.

One simple small thing that I always make a point to do? Hold a door open for a parent with a stroller and/or small child in tow. It has been several years since I have had to solo navigate a stroller through a swinging door equipped with a door closer, but I haven't forgotten what a PIA it can be. Just yesterday I was sitting in a burger joint eating lunch with my wife when I saw a lady coming across the parking lot with a stroller. She struggled to pick it up over the curb and over the sidewalk (must be a newb, she hasn't learned the front wheel wheelie & lift the back over technique), then headed towards the door. I got up from my seat, walked to the entrance & held the door for her. Took all of a minute out of my day. Simple stuff that makes someone's day a bit easier. Sometimes you do more - like several of the examples elsewhere in this thread - sometimes you do less, but just keep doing something and the world is a slightly better place. :thumbup1:

- Steve :001_cool:

A co-worker is currently going through a pretty rough divorce right now, He is trying to sort out daycare, babysitters, etc for his 3 and 5 year old daughters. Without any other options he's bringin them in to the office for the rest of the week.

It's a hard season for kids to be going through something like that and rather than having them sit around bored at Dads office I printed off some coloring sheets and collected all the spare markers we have in the supply drawers :lol:

Got a big container of hot chocolate and set up a play room in our seldom used boardroom.. they are having a christmas party in there for the next few days. It's actually pretty neat hearing happy kids giggles and laughs coming down the hall..

About 3 years ago my family and my inlaws decided to stop giving Christmas gifts to the adults(I still give my Wife a gift). Instead we all chip in money and pick a family from a Christmas tree at a local store. These are families that are down on there luck. We pool the money and get them a good meal, and gifts for the parents and kids. Usually the parents ask for stuff they need around the house like dishes or cooking utensils. Anyway not sure if this counts as random, but we don't know the families. Last year we had enough money to adopt two families. Not sure how many families we will be able to do this year, but am hoping for 2 families again.

Thanks for offering to share the wealth!

At the beginning of this month I had heard on the radio that our local Salvation Army was looking for food donations to help feed the poor. I decided that instead of just grabbing some unused food from my pantry why not go big. I set up two boxes in random areas at work (Coast Guard base) and sent out a base wide email letting everyone know where the boxes were and what they were for. I'm running the food drive till mid-December and have so far turned in over a 100 pounds of food!

I'd include my PIF of the bag of Headslick, but my more recent one was some guidance and advice to my brother-in-law. Saved him the trouble of staying at a poor choice of college.

While interviewing a candidate to my Department, I came to like him a lot, but I knew how slow our Department is to credential people. I recommended to him the same position at a more prestigious hospital where I have connections as well, I called supervisors over there and in 5 days the candidate was hired to a much higher salary than our Hospital could offer him. He still cannot comprehend why did I do that :)

I have been meeting all of the workers in my college mess during my free time and educating them about the benefits of insurance, saving money, investing in mutual funds etc for a few months now. Nothing major, just 10~15 mins daily answering any queries they may have or filling out the forms for them.

I was walking outside to throw some garbage away at my apt. complex and there was a little boy who I know lives in the building next door who was dragging 2 bags of garbage to the bins. So I helped him take them to the garbage bins.

Today I PIF'd two used beds to a person who needs them.

I also PIF'd an oldspice mug and a yardleys wood bowl to my sister and her hubby, but they PIF'd me back some blades, so that doesn't really count.

Today I paid for a older gentleman's groceries who left his wallet at home. He has a hard time walking already so no need to go all the way back home for it if I can assist.

Driving back to college the other day I stopped for a car broken down on the side of the road. He said he hit a bump and the car just died, engine and all the electronics turned off and it wouldnt even try to crank over. He was already waiting for AAA but I asked if I could check something for him under the hood. It was a loose nut which connects the cars computer to the battery and once you tighten that up it will work fine. I know because the same thing happened to me before.

On a flight, I was tired and ready to order my drink for $2 from the hostess. The person several rows ahead of me wanted to order one for himself too, and I could see that he was desperately looking around in his pockets, cabin bag, jacket and laptop bag for spare change while the hostess waited on him for a few minutes. He finally had to tell her he didn't have enough to buy the drink. Since I suffer a lot from dehydration on flights, I didn't want someone else to suffer the same way just for not having $2 with them, so I asked the hostess to serve him a drink, $2 on me, before I bought mine. He could not see me across all the seats and did not thank me, but that was alright.

Great PIF and great posts so far.

Today i sat and kept a random person company and talked to him about his job and random things like that to help him pass time even though i had no reason to stay and sit with him i did anyways. I also made a cashiers day at the gas station by doing something as simple as wiping my feet before stepping on her freshly mopped floor she smiled so big at me and told me how thankful she was that i had wiped my feet and that no one ever does that.... sometimes the simple things like wiping your feet off at a door can brightened someones night.

Awesome PIF!!! As a nursing student in clinicals, I get to do this quite frequently. I dont want to be in the drawing. I just want to say great job on the PIF and good luck to all who enter!!!

So today i went to get my girlfriend something to eat that i took to her work then went to pick up a pizza at pappa john's for my granparents and me when a random guy comes up to me begging me to help him says his car battery died on him up the road and needs to be jumped off. Well i said ok i will jump you off its the least i can do i think to myself. Then he acts like he is getting in my car and it is storming like crazy and he says its right up the road. I actually said alright but dont be f---ing with me because my family are police officers. He proves to me he has no weapons and gets in then low and behold he now has no gas and needs to rent a gas can. Tells me its 15 bucks he has 5 and its a deposit so you get it back. I was like ok. Then he proceeds to tell me that he just got out of jail and thats why he has no money.. Im thinking great... For selling drugs he tells me.. again i think great im trying to become a police officer now im gonna get pulled over and he is gonna have drugs on him and im gonna be screwed.. well he starts getting squirmish and made the mistake of reaching into his jacket sideways. i started to slow down and promptly said what the f--k are you reaching for. He tries to explain. i said i dont give a f--k i dont know you get your hand out your d--n jacket. Well i got him nervous enough that he road with his hands on the dash the rest of the way. He is very apologetic for scaring me tells me about where he went to school turns out we both went to the same elementary school and his highschool basketball coach was my elementary coach. He tells me where he works who he is related too and all kinds a stuff.. To much stuff to be lies the only lie he told was the fact that he needed gas because as soon as we got to the other side of town the bad side he jumped out and took off in the opposite direction of the other gas station. So pretty much my good deed is as follows took somebody off the street in the pouring rain, gave them some heat as it was cold out side. Then gave him some money even though he meant it for evil more than likely it was still giving out of the goodness of my heart. Though i must say we need to be careful with our random acts of kindness because he could have easily killed me.

What a great PIF...

Doing little things for others should be the norm, but it seems these days not enough people are willing to do the smallest of kind acts for others.

This past remembrance day I was out after work with a few co-workers at the local pub. I noticed that in the back room of the bar there were around 20 or so members of our military together for the day. I called my server over, took care of their tab (man can they drink) and quietly left. If anyone deserved some random kindness they surely did!

Top Bottom