What's new

PIF Closed-BBQ cookbook PIF Closed

Would this book be useful for somebody using a pellet smoker?
I had a look on Amazon and a lot of the reviews and notes on it seem to indicate it's got a lot of information on building a smoker, maintaining temps, etc; useful info for somebody with a "real" smoker but maybe not so much for a pellet smoker which is a less artful and more hands off.
The price is right and I'm looking for a good place to build some knowledge but not sure if this is the right start for me.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
It's mainly a technique book. It gives you basic recipes but the how-to is there. I don't have a smoker but it gave me a fairly good idea on what to do with my weber grill

Would this book be useful for somebody using a pellet smoker?

I had a look on Amazon and a lot of the reviews and notes on it seem to indicate it's got a lot of information on building a smoker, maintaining temps, etc; useful info for somebody with a "real" smoker but maybe not so much for a pellet smoker which is a less artful and more hands off.

The price is right and I'm looking for a good place to build some knowledge but not sure if this is the right start for me.

It is a great book for anyone who smokes meat. A bit of info on his background/roots, how to build a smoker and then it gets into how to modify or tweak a smoker and then wood, meats, presentation and a few rubs and recipes for things. It is not a full recipe book but there are enough of those on the market. Based on what I've read, Franklin's believes in basic S&P rubs and concentrates more on cooking the meat properly.

Once it starts to into the cook and meat, it can be used by anyone who smokes meat on any device. Chapter 3 thru 7 are gold. But even the history and chapter on The Smoker have info that is useful to everyone. It explains what, where, why and when things happen in the smoker to the wood and meat. Lot's of great info on how to select meat and what to look for and ask your butcher before buying. There isn't too much detailed, specific info on how to maintain temps and using a ceramic cooker, the info is still useful....but it does already have me researching offset, all wood burning smokers.

I'd say go for it, even if you skip over the info on The Smoker (I don't recommend skipping it), they rest of the book is worth more then the asking price.

It is such a good book, my wife even lets me keep it on the coffee table. The chapters I'm on now are golden

Obviously mine was PIF'd and I didn't pay for it, but if I hadn't won it and had paid for the book (which I was intending to do), I'd be 100% happy with the purchase.

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1438387863723.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1438387863723.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
This weekend I smoked a 9# pork butt for pulled pork sandwiches, and finally got a good opportunity to try out the Franklin's Texas style BBQ sauce that was graciously PIF'd by Aaron. After I shredded the pork I mixed half with sauce the rest I left naked. The sauce is quite thin as compared to most BBQ sauces which makes it a great choice for mixing into pulled pork, made it very easy to blend in. The sauce is more vinegary and has a bit more of a peppery Note than our typical choice, but was very good and enjoyed by all. It must have been good because 10 people polished off the entire butt with no leftovers. Thanks again Aaron!

ps- sorry for the lack of Qview, I totally forgot to grab my phone before it was all scarfed down.

I'm going for a Franklin BBQ day tomorrow. Bought some spare ribs, dressed them and hacked them up. I ended up with 5 x 1/2 racks that will be easily workable on the smoker and a 3 lb bag of trimmings to grind or make sausages with.

I trimmed according to his guide (as close as I could follow) and ended up with nice, squared off side ribs with no flaps or tips and no sharp little bones.

They'll only get rubbed with S&P and a bit of paprika (for colour), wrapped (which I have never done) and then a tiny bit of the Franklin Espresso BBQ sauce from Aaron's PIF.

Served with grilled Mexican Corn (another first) and Rice Pilaf, it is shaping up to be a great Saturday.

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1438989505122.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1438989505122.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Bruce those ribs look nice and trimmed. Blocked up nicely. Can't wait to see the process and the final result.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Bruce, tell us what you plan to do. Will you smoke the ribs uncovered for how long until you wrap in foil? Will you do a 3-2-1? Or maybe a 2.5-2.5-1 or like what I've done is a 2.5-3.

Bruce, tell us what you plan to do. Will you smoke the ribs uncovered for how long until you wrap in foil? Will you do a 3-2-1? Or maybe a 2.5-2.5-1 or like what I've done is a 2.5-3.
I'll lay it all out tomorrow with pics and how it is turning out.

It's looking like smoke until bark and color form at 275*, spritz and sauce at the 2hr mark and back on for 15min a side. Re-spritz, re-sauce and foil, leave on until completely done, but sounds like another 2 hours. Let rest for 30 minutes. Looks like it is similar to my 4hr smoke of Baby Backs but more spritzing and adding the foil. The rub will be pretty basic too with no brown sugar like I normally do.

The Spare Rib chapter in my book will be worn out by the time I get around to throwing the ribs on :lol:

I'll pretty much be following pg 161-168 to a tee.

Last edited:
Top Bottom