What's new

Picked up my first vintage razor.

Picked up my first vintage razor find for $8.80USD, Definitely British and Gillette, assumed something called a Gillette Tech from my own research dating 1950s, dirty of course cleaning it up now it looks to be otherwise in good condition. Any good?
20230826_164335_resize_87.jpg
20230826_164309_resize_1.jpg
20230826_164249_resize_14.jpg
20230826_164234_resize_97.jpg

I also saw a razor in a purple lined box with some soap stick containers etc. Ever Ready British made, it was $40USD. Sorry terrible photos it was in a locked box with the world's most reflective glass. I didn't get a great look. Worth picking up?
20230826_133500_resize_3.jpg
20230826_133452_resize_39.jpg

Attachments

• 20230826_133500.jpg
    20230826_133500.jpg
    811.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230826_133500_resize_3.jpg
    20230826_133500_resize_3.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 7
As a collector, not a user, I would buy the ever ready at 40USD in USD, but our AUD exchange rates are catty wompus at present so 62.50AUD or 31.25 GBP. I [me that is] would be on the fence in my currency.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
That looks like a post war tech which is thought by many to be a good shaver. The other is an Ever Ready Chromium razor in a traveller set. It is a single edge razor which uses different blades to a normal DE razor. It is commonly called a Streamline but the Streamline actually has a different case. I can confirm it is an excellent shaver, and a good price - but only if you would use it.

Legion

Staff member
The ever-ready seems a little overpriced to me, but that is me, and they are common here.

The Gillette is a nice, mild, beginner razor at a good price. I'd stick with that until your tecnique is 100% nailed down.

As a collector, not a user, I would buy the ever ready at 40USD in USD, but our AUD exchange rates are catty wompus at present so 62.50AUD or 31.25 GBP. I [me that is] would be on the fence in my currency.

That looks like a post war tech which is thought by many to be a good shaver. The other is an Ever Ready Chromium razor in a traveller set. It is a single edge razor which uses different blades to a normal DE razor. It is commonly called a Streamline but the Streamline actually has a different case. I can confirm it is an excellent shaver, and a good price - but only if you would use it.
I can most likely beat down the price on the Ever Ready and heck yeah of course I'll give it a go! I'll go back, sounds like a decent pick up and fair enough deal.

The ever-ready seems a little overpriced to me, but that is me, and they are common here.

The Gillette is a nice, mild, beginner razor at a good price. I'd stick with that until your tecnique is 100% nailed down.
I'd imagine the Tech might be a little too mild for me, its fine I dont yet own a closed comb razor only OC razors. Vintage DE razors don't seem that common around here sadly, we have lots of op shops, I went around a dozen today and I've only seen one place with any for sale. As I say I think I can beat down the Ever Ready

Legion

Staff member
I'd imagine the Tech might be a little too mild for me, its fine I dont yet own a closed comb razor only OC razors. Vintage DE razors don't seem that common around here sadly, we have lots of op shops, I went around a dozen today and I've only seen one place with any for sale. As I say I think I can beat down the Ever Ready
Op shops...

Where are you located?

#advertiseyourlocation

Legion

Staff member
New Zealand. Top of the south, Nelson. Approx pop 50,000.
Nice.

1st

2nd

I like those ever ready, but getting the quality blades can be a little more tricky.

The DE will be easier.

If you post your location, you will be surprised how many locals might just PIF you things like a few blades to try, spare soap, etc.

The Aussie guys were good to me when I started out.

I like those ever ready, but getting the quality blades can be a little more tricky.

The DE will be easier.

If you post your location, you will be surprised how many locals might just PIF you things like a few blades to try, spare soap, etc.

The Aussie guys were good to me when I started out.

Thanks for the advice. I've got quite a bit of stuff it's been an expensive 3 months, a Muhle STF brush, a pure badger, enough MWF/Kent soap to last years, 11 different blades, alum, aftershaves etc a Merkur 41C and Fatip Piccolo (Yaqi Sentinel 1.5 OC in mail) but I've been lathering with brush and bowl for 5ish years so the pure badger is old and the MWF is because they removed tallowate so I stocked up.

Last edited:
Not quite sure what a “beginner razor” is but a Gillette Tech is not of that type. The Tech is the best selling razor in history and can be found in every country in the world because it is a well-made, versatile razor that provides a fantastic shave on the vast majority of faces. You have purchased the only razor you will ever need.

I would go easy on cleaning up the Tech cap as the "Gillette" etched ones are made of zamak so you don't want to damage the plating. A mild hand soap cleaning and cloth polish should be fine.

As for the Fatip vs. Tech, I think they both give me similar results as every time I use one or the other, that is my favorite one. The Tech gets the edge for nostalgic historical value.

Enjoy!

Not quite sure what a “beginner razor” is but a Gillette Tech is not of that type. The Tech is the best selling razor in history and can be found in every country in the world because it is a well-made, versatile razor that provides a fantastic shave on the vast majority of faces. You have purchased the only razor you will ever need.

+1! ’Tough to beat a Tech!’ They are very fine shavers in the ‘mild/moderate‘ range. :thumbup1::thumbup1:

Judging by this mornings shave your correct, the Tech exceeded my expectations, it is an efficient and smooth shaving tool.
Hopefully, the Tech will clean up nice without having any damage to the plating. With the Piccolo and the Tech, you should be covered for awhile if you want to take a break.
Cleaned up pretty nicely, top cap all OK except small knick from where I dropped it, handle also cleaned up well. Baseplate plating is a little damaged but the worst of it is on the side where the handle screws in. Perfect working condition. I will try take a break.... at least from new purchases, if I see something vintage it will be hard to resist.
I would go easy on cleaning up the Tech cap as the "Gillette" etched ones are made of zamak so you don't want to damage the plating. A mild hand soap cleaning and cloth polish should be fine.

As for the Fatip vs. Tech, I think they both give me similar results as every time I use one or the other, that is my favorite one. The Tech gets the edge for nostalgic historical value.

Enjoy!
Cleaned up with some blue hubble, an extremely mild polishing compound made for precious metals, plating was a little damaged from corrosion on the baseplate but everything else is in great condition.
20230827_114933_resize_70.jpg

20230827_115344_resize_13.jpg

20230827_115139_resize_45.jpg

+1! ’Tough to beat a Tech!’ They are very fine shavers in the ‘mild/moderate‘ range. :thumbup1::thumbup1:
I wasn't expecting it to be such an efficient shaving tool, it's very good! The gap surprised me, it is quite large but smooth and no chattering or anything. The design looks similar to the Wolfman WR2 too me or should I say the Wolfman WR2 looks inspired by the Tech to me.
20230827_120904_resize_68.jpg

Picked up my first vintage razor find for $8.80USD, Definitely British and Gillette, assumed something called a Gillette Tech from my own research dating 1950s, dirty of course cleaning it up now it looks to be otherwise in good condition. Any good?
View attachment 1707972View attachment 1707973View attachment 1707975View attachment 1707976

I also saw a razor in a purple lined box with some soap stick containers etc. Ever Ready British made, it was $40USD. Sorry terrible photos it was in a locked box with the world's most reflective glass. I didn't get a great look. Worth picking up?
View attachment 1707984View attachment 1707985
Cool!

Top Bottom