What's new

Goodwill Arrival

I just picked this up today from a local vendor.
A few years back when I began to get interested in vintage Gillettes, I had one of these in my hands (for sale) but it looked weird to me at the time, so I put it back in its case.

I saw this today and I wasn't about to make the same mistake again.

After doing a little research I think what I have is a "162 reverse stud" based on the old type razor model.

It has the requisite cracks in the handle so you know its legit.

There is no patent info on the handle but several patents on the base plate.

Am I correct in calling this a 162?

Date of mfg?

Thanks
Dirty

Attachments

• IMG_9179.jpeg
    IMG_9179.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_9180.jpeg
    IMG_9180.jpeg
    878.1 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_9181.jpeg
    IMG_9181.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 31
Well I Need a little help.

I was looking this razor over and found that there is only about one turn of usable thread left in the handle. It does tighten down enough to hold a blade though
IMG_9191.JPG

I was looking at the area of the baseplate that the handle lands on and the diameter seems large for the handle that I have. The area is around 7/16" and the hole for the stud is way over sized. Is this common?
The mating part of the handle works but it is a lot smaller (relatively) than the area in question.

I was trying other handles and found that diameter of handles varies a little. I tried another ball end from a "NEW LC" and it is even smaller in diameter. I tried a bar handle from a later NEW and found it is a good diameter.

If these razors are in fact a mashup of old and new parts I can see why this may happen.

I have no reason to doubt that the handle was born with the razor. It just has the same sheen and amount of wear.

What ball end handle has a larger diameter at the mating end?

I'd like someone with a similar razor to show pictures of that area on their razor.

Any ideas?
Thanks
Dirty

My Goodwill 164 came with a recess for a wide top handle.
The handle that came with it was a narrow top.
I think that was the original pairing because the base plate
and the handle were in very similar condition
with the lacquer being turned orangish by the gold
on both parts.

Great!
That helps. It must be that my handle was paired with this base plate.

Are there any larger diameter ball end handles that would fit this?

As I stated I only have about one turn of threads in the handle and I may need to get a replacement.

What would fit?

Also: There is an inconsistency in the Goodwill Wiki page in the 162 section.

It says it was made in 1931 and then it says it was 1934. I think 1931 is the correct date.
I'm not sure the correct date or I'd change it. Anyone?Category:Gillette Goodwill Razors - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/wiki/Category:Gillette_Goodwill_Razors

Dirty

Last edited:
Well I shaved with this today. I'm impressed.
Since I purchased a New LC a while back, I have improved my technique enough to appreciate a more aggressive razor.
I think the Goodwill is on par with the New, maybe just slightly more aggressive.

I used a twice used Nacet and two minor scuffs but very little if any aftershave burn. I'd say it was a DFS approaching a BBS.

The wonky handle worked well. I may just leave that alone as long as it works.

I noticed that I needed to watch the blade exposure. The blade fits very well between the corner posts on the cap but there is a little wiggle room around the diamond posts.
Its just something I need to watch for.

I was thinking about flipping this and moving on but it may need to remain in my arsenal for a while yet.

I think a fresh blade will be the order or the day next time I use it.

Goodwill to all,
Dirty

Top Bottom