What's new

Photos of colored j-nats

I would like to know a little more about this stone and how it was photographed.
best regards,
Alex

Hey Alex,
I posted it before. It is a full size bench stone. Sold as a Shou Hon Yama Iromono tomae. The guy I got it from bought it from his friend who bought it in Japan. I am bad with photos and got a new iphone 7 plus which takes better pics. I upped the light and the stone is dry in the pic to better show the colors I see. Think it is brighter with higher saturation. I then cropped out the rest around it which allows you to see it better. Kind of like a black background. I did the opposite a few replys up with the old phone on the stone I got from you on a dark background and lower light which allowed the colors and patterns to show better since I could not capure them normally.

I would like to know a little more about this stone and how it was photographed.
best regards,
Alex

Alex figured I would post the same pic with nothing changed so you can see the difference. So this pic is the iphone 7 plus with nothing but good lighting. In the previous pic I upped the saturation or contrast to make the dark and light stand out better from eachother. This stone has a cloudy ghost pattern that makes it harder to see sometimes when the stone is dry like this.

Nakairo1.jpeg

Pretty stone.
How's that Dai working for you, Tom?

Thanks David. It works great for knives or when I want to use the big stones. Problem is I have to sit when I use it. Hand honing I move stone and razor in symbiosis, but with the stone fixed in one spot standing I tend to lock and twist and suddenly my lower back gives. Happened three different times. I still haven't found the wood yet, but this works great for $4.00. My buddy suggested I check with the guy from I think it was Japan tool and see if he can help. I think he is really slow at answering though.

Christain1212 how think is that nice kiita? It looks hefty.

I also realize I forgot to post the back side of the Suita.
suita6.jpeg

Nakayama Kiita Mokume Namito

This is one of my favorite stones. Something about the mix of colors, feel and dimensions of this thing just draws me to it. I find I also like the look of stones with those black splotches, reminds me of a painting. Plus don’t know if it is the layer, but this one is a super performer.
50F9C035-FB61-4DAE-92F6-2F476C7D514C.jpeg 9D03252D-21D2-48AD-A5F2-9CA1134278B2.jpeg

I had a box arrive from Japan today. The first of my new Okudo Iromono Stones is lapped. Seems harder than I thought it would be and fast. Need to play with it more just lapped it and did a quick test. Seems very fine though.
9A4E378F-C086-459E-A056-E7FE77942173.jpeg

Top Bottom