What's new

Photos of colored j-nats

Though it might be fun to post your photos of your Colored Japanese Naturals. If you want to add photos of the backs of the stones and a guess of the approximate Hardness, that would be cool too.
Here is one of my current from my private collection.

A Nakayama iro-mono tomae that also includes a nashiji (pear skin) pattern. Hardness is a strong 5.

Alx

proxy.php

Last edited:
Hey Alex. I'll take a picture of those 3 I borrowed yesterday. That thicker Iro is pretty awesome. I'll post pics in a few once I get the lighting correct.

Also, I can't see the Iro you posted. Could just be my phone though.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Ohira kiita/iro, my mid-grit stone though fine enough to shave off of with a bit of linen and leather.

Cheers, Steve

Attachments

• $IMG_1463.jpg
    $IMG_1463.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 260
First up is a Nakayama Kiita Iromono that now belongs to Bill (Kinda miss it a LOT...)

I'd put it between 4 and 4.5 hardness.

$DSC06433.jpg$DSC06436.jpg$DSC06437.jpg$DSC06438.jpg

Next 3 I have right now aren't nearly as colorful but definitely do exhibit some colour. Hopefully it came through in the shots.

2nd up is a Kizuyama. Mid range stone through and through. Pale greens on the top but note the purple streak down the side.

$DSC09722.jpg$DSC09725.jpg$DSC09728.jpg

3rd up is, I believe, a Narutaki. There are some pinks that come through on the top in the right light and some serious karasu on the rear.

$DSC09723.jpg$DSC09726.jpg

Steve56

Unfortunately no, lapped back. It is pretty though, the purple/violet streak adds a little something.

Cheers, Steve

And last is a beautiful pale Kiita that has wonderful nashiji on the face. Unknown mine but the cloudy pattern makes me think it's a Nakayama.

$DSC09724.jpg$DSC09727.jpg$DSC09730.jpg

Jeremy
That is one stone I would have like to have lapped the back to taste those rouge colors. Good for Bill, Bad for You.

Alex, the side with all the red is actually almost as tall as the stone is wide. The whole thing is just littered with a gorgeous salmony/rouge colour.

Steve56

Vintage Tokusen stamped Hatanaka, this one has a bit of everything, asagi, kiita around the edges and iro in one corner. Also note the purple meridian line I'll never see.... Very,very fine, hard, but very smooth, like honing on glass.

Cheers, Steve$DSCF0843.jpg

I just keep repeating to myself " This thread will not cost me money ... This thread will not cost me money .. "

Steve56

Love that Uchigumori!

Here's a koppa that's got interesting "skin". It was sold as one of the CKTG Nakayama koppas, but there's little sparkle to the black and on one end there's two distinct distinctive patches of pink or red which Alex says can be indicative of the Narutaki stones. The color is actually more red/pink than the image would suggest. It's quite hard and does best with diamond slurry and it's extremely fine. It puts a great edge on a razor and cuts very fast on slurry. In fact, it has so much grit in it that if you handle it very long, it will polish your fingertips to the point your touch screens have trouble.

Cheers, Steve

Attachments

• $IMG_1464.jpg
    $IMG_1464.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 228
  • $IMG_1465.jpg
    $IMG_1465.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 227
Steve
Odd shaped stone that looks totally useful in the triangular form. The sparkels in the black are a good indicator of Nakayama, the lipstick red is what I am looking for in the Narutaki. When you walk in Umegahata the distance between mine sites was like driver and a 7 iron between them yet each mine had distinct markers.
Alx

Top Bottom