What's new

GIVEAWAY! Participation PIF: Surf vs Turf - Battle of the Beast Blades!!

Blade: Rhino
Razor: DSCosmetics DZ0 (Purchased from @worldrallyx on BST)
Soap/Cream: Maggard Bergamot & Lime
Bowl: Captain's Choice Heavyweight Copper
Brush: Semogue 820

Today's shave was an easy DFS after 2 full passes and a little buffing of stubborn areas.
No nicks, weepers, or post-shave drama of any sort.

This is an interesting combo, my 3rd with this razor.

My 1st shave with this razor paired it with a Derby Extra - decent but unexciting.

The 2nd paired it with a Lab Blue - a real face peeler. One of the worst cuts I've gotten shaving. Strictly operator error. You can't let your mind wander.

This one fell in between. Diring the shave, it felt a bit rough and aggressive, but there was no sign of irritation during the post-shave.

It was a close shave, not perfect, but pretty good.

It's one of my favorite "nope" gif's.

When I was his age, super-8 hadn't reached our home, so most of our home movies were choppy with a heavy dose of sepia. However, I'm sure I was his age at one time and provided my parents with a never ending supply of funny material!!
It's a beaut, and I stole it for future use.

Rhino blade: Shaves 5+6
Ti 1.65 WR2
B&M Rhapsody
This one is done. Todays shave was pretty darn rough and already growing back to an unusual scruff. I think I actually have to kick this one below the swordfish because of its sudden drop vs slow decline of the swordfish. JAWS is on top for sure for me. I’ll pick up with an eagle on Monday. As always thank you to the fine gents that put these on.
@AnimalCatcher @lasta @Chard52142 and @Grundi
Not only are they enjoyable but treat me to blades that I would have never tried. I am such a creature of habit I would have been using only one blade since the get-go.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member

IMG_7357.jpeg

Surf versus Turf Battle of the Beast Blades 2023.​

Shave number six on my second go around with the Yellow/Pink Flying Eagle blade. Nothing outstanding to report today. Just a really good shave with a little sting when I used my Alum Block. These blades go alright for me, I could quite easily use them in a blade rotation and be happy using them. Bring on shave number seven.

Blade: Rhino
Razor: Muhle R41
Soap/Cream: Maggard Bergamot & Lime
Bowl: Captain's Choice Heavyweight Copper
Brush: Semogue 830

Today's shave was a BBS after 2 full passes and a little buffing of stubborn areas.
No nicks, weepers, or post-shave drama of any sort.

Comparing it to yesterday's shave with the DS Z0, today's shave with the R41 felt nice and smooth during the shave and finished BBS. So it was both less aggressive and more efficient than with the DZ0. The Rhino felt like a new blade this morning.

I’m out because I’m already in a current state of sensory overload trying new stuff. That said, I’ll be interested to see the comments and maybe try a blade or two that seems to come out on too.

I’m out because I’m already in a current state of sensory overload trying new stuff. That said, I’ll be interested to see the comments and maybe try a blade or two that seems to come out on too.
Trying new (and new old stock and pre-owned) is one of the greatest things about this wet shaving adventure!! Things should never become ho-hum dull!! There are so many razors, blades, soaps and creams, pre and post shave treatments, accoutrements...the list is virtually endless!!

Yellow/Pink Flying Eagle #2, Shave #1

Razor: Baili BD176
Blade: Yellow/Pink Flying Eagel (1)
Soap: Frankensoap (1/3 each of Arko, VDH Luxury, Dove Men Care 3 in 1 Extra Fresh)
Brush: No-name badger off of Amazon
Aftershave: Aqua Velva Ice Blue followed by Nivea Sensitive balm

A good shave. I was surprised to encounter a couple of weepers with this razor/blade combo. I'm sure that it was my fault. The Baili just feels like there isn't even a blade there so sometimes I tend to get too heavy handed. End of the day, a good, comfortable shave.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member

IMG_7373.jpeg

Seventh and final shave with the Yellow/Pink Flying Eagle blade. Today was a pretty good shave, no blood, weepers etc but I did have some sting when I used my Alum Block. I would be very happy to use these blades in a blade rotation even though they take a few shaves to mellow out somewhat. Tomorrow I will have my second dance with the Pink/Blue Flying Eagle blade.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member

IMG_7392.jpeg

My second dance with the Pink/Blue Flying Eagle. Not a bad shave this morning, no blood, weepers, I did have some sting when I applied the Alum Block. Again I think that these Flying Eagle blades do take a shave or two to settle down. I think I still have another Pink/Blue Flying Eagle blade, a Rhino and a Jaws to go in this adventure.

Yellow/Pink Flying Eagle #2, Shave #2

Blade: Yellow/Pink Flying Eagle (2)
Soap: Pre de Provence No. 63

Excellent shave again today. I am always amazed at how well this little $7 razor does. And the y/p FE blade didn't disappoint.

72EA9E27-C613-40C6-B1D7-0DC74A81F5B3.JPG

Flying Eagle ( Yellow/Pink) Shave #3

Plate 4 in the Rockwell 6C pairs well with this blade. It got a little 'slow' on my ATG pass, but that's always my worst pass and I was shaving two-day-old stubble. It handled it well in the end, but not as well as it did on shave #2 so it may be slowing down a little. We will see how shave #4 does.

Carpathia is a banger. I love it.

Razor Gillette super speed
Brush above the tie superior bore brush
Blade zaza
Shave #1

My initial shave was incredibly smooth perhaps one of the smoothest blades I have ever had. It provided no irritation, and was very forgiving. Comparing this blade with the voskhod blade’s first shave. The zaza is by far superior. It was sharper and smoother. We will see how it holds up over the next several days, but day one is off to a great start.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member

IMG_7408.jpeg

Second shave on my second dance with the Pink/Blue Flying Eagle blade. No dramas today, I had a pretty good shave, not as much sting when I used my Alum Block this morning. The shave was pretty close and I hope this keeps up for the rest of the week. I am quite liking these Flying Eagle blades so far.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member

IMG_7424.jpeg

Well, I jinxed myself after yesterdays shave. I gave myself a decent weeper under my chin halfway to my Adams Apple. It stung when I applied my Alum Block and was still weeping after my shower. There is still a red blood coloured mark where I got myself. Still had a very close shave but today was a wake up call to take my time and pay attention.

Yellow/Pink Flying Eagle #2, Shave #3

Blade: Yellow/Pink Flying Eagle (3)
Soap: Frankensoap (1/3 each of Arko, VDH Luxury, and Dove Men Care 3 in 1 Extra Fresh)

Another fine shave today. The blade may be slowing just a little, but the end result was fine. I may move back to my Henson for shave #4 and see how it goes.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member

IMG_7443.jpeg

Fourth shave on my second time around with the Pink/Blue Flying Eagle Blade. A better shave today, no blood, weepers etc but I did have some sting when I used my Alum Block. I was definitely trying to use a lighter touch today as I didn’t want to suffer the same fate as yesterday. Hopefully tomorrow’s shave will be okay as well.

Jianyu Blade 1, Side 2, Shave 6

Razor: Yaqi Katana
Blade: Jianyu (6)
Brush: Yaqi Ferrari synthetic
Lather: Mama Bear’s Northwoods
Aftershave: Bootleggers Perfecto

IMG_2726.jpeg

6th shave on this side. This side has gotten as much use as 12 shaves on a double edge. So not bad longevity. Though this final shave was a bit harsh.

I would say that it’s a decent blade, but I probably would buy something else when the need for more blades arises.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member

IMG_7456.jpeg

Fifth shave on my second dance with the Pink/Blue Flying Eagle blade. This mornings shave was very nice. Very little sting when I applied my Alum Block and I could not see any red marks either. Maybe it was my shaving cream. I used Palmolive today for the first time in a long time. I bought all the stock when my work deleted it and I packed it away. I gave my father two tubes the other day and then unpacked one for myself to use. It is great stuff.

Top Bottom