What's new

Panzermeister Dave's Models.

M

member 119848

Thank you sir! And everyone else who makes comments. I have read a lot of books from the masters over the years. Lots of practice. And I always look at photos of the real thing in the field for reference. But I have had my share of screwups!
OK, sorry for such a long winded reply; but I have a funny story to tell about my brother's B-17. I put some clearcoat in a empty bottle of liquid cement. I had the bottle labeled. So, I was brush painting a clearcoat on some small parts. The base coat starts coming off! I was swearing. My friend Darryl asked me what's wrong. I said,"#*#**###clearcoat!" ……….Then I looked at the bottle. My dumb** was using liquid cement instead of clear coat! Oh yeah! So who's the Panzermeister now! :mad2: :letterk1::tank:
So the mud texture is made with liquid cement... interesting!
Making models used to be my hobby when I was 10 to 12 years old. That was 30 years ago when I couldn´t get any tips on the internet. At that time I made WW2 planes and painted them, but couldn´t get them look authentic.
When I see such work I am in awe, and even thinking of giving it a try again. And why not!

Yes sure, you are a Panzermeister, Sir! 🙂

This old kit was missing a blaster cannon and decals. So I hand to paint the red stripes by hand.
IMG_0477.jpg
IMG_0478.jpg

Making models used to be my hobby when I was 10 to 12 years old. That was 30 years ago when I couldn´t get any tips on the internet. At that time I made WW2 planes and painted them, but couldn´t get them look authentic.
When I see such work I am in awe, and even thinking of giving it a try again. And why not!

No sir. The mud texture is Plaster of Paris that has been painted. Dirt on tracks that is not as thick is done with dry pigment powders.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
What beautiful work! Thanks for sharing.

We built tank models as kids, not nearly so well!

And they did not survive, when as older kids, we reenacted various battles with powerful fireworks....🤔 Yes, I've seen a T-34 blasted to bits and by my own hand.

🧐 Yet I received no Tank Destruction Badge...

AA

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Neat! That's what Dad was around when he was in France, Belgium, and Germany in the '40s. And they were shooting live rounds in his direction.

Nice work, Dave!

A minor quibble, if I may...

"Heidi," as pictured, would not have been around in 1942, from a historical standpoint. The kit looks like the old Monogram PzIV, which was marketed as the Model H. It was actually a hodge-podge of molded parts. The doors on the side of your turret, for example, didn't appear until late 1944. The doors in 1942 would have had pistol ports and vision ports installed. The L hooks on your fenders were for the attachment of "schurzen" or skirts on the hull. The turret also had a skirt assembly in the form of a horseshoe ring around it. The H model began production in May of 1943. The length of the gun really knocks it out of the 1942 timeframe.

What makes me such a "whiz" at Pz IV trivia? Well...
DSCN1235.JPG

This is a small portion of my reference library. Part of the fun of model building is the history; the "how" and the "why" of the vehicle you're modeling. While we're on the subject, I'd like to introduce you to my Pz IV family "shelf queens:"
DSCN1237.JPG

DSCN1236.JPG

"Shelf queens" are kits that for whatever reason, sit unopened and unbuilt, sometimes for years. I think I stopped because it was no longer fun, and life kind of got in the way. Never stopped looking for and obtaining information on the subject, though! Maybe I'll get back to it one of these days.... stop trying so hard to achieve perfection. Food for thought for myself.

Above all, please, DO NOT take my minor "rivet counting" observation of "Heidi" as a major criticism. After all, you're one up on me... you're actually constructing models! It's a fun hobby, and I think it's important that it remain fun for you. If you think you're spending a lot on shaving gear, wait until you start shelling out for some of these new kits on the market, not to mention your reference material. On the other hand, there are TONS of videos on You Tube where people share there techniques. Pretty rich pickings compared to the time I started modeling. My two cents; hope you don't mind me sharing.

Wow! Even I don't have the skill or patience to do wooden ship models.
Thank you for the compliment sir! So I guess I got some explaining to do. You are correct, this is a Monogram kit of a Panzer IV H. This was the first tank model that I built after being away from the hobby for a long time. I was concerned that my skills may be rusty. So I chose to buy a cheap model that was not one of my favorite tanks. I do have books on German tanks, but I don't have any books that are just about the Panzer IV. So I should not have made the statement about this tank being on the Russian front in 1942.
However, according to what I have read and photos that I have seen; there were long barreled Panzer IVs in service in 1942. The F2 version [but the muzzle brake was a different shape] I could not find a cheap model of the F2.

But I have some more splainin to do. Just call me Lucy. :001_smile I did not want to go with a 2 or 3 color camo pattern that started in Feb of 1943. This was my first tank with a airbrush. Back in the day I hand painted. So I really wanted to do a early Panzer Grey [Dunkelgrau].
Also, I think the tank looks much better without the skirts around the turret. That's right, I like Heidi without her skirt on!
But I have a question for you because you have a lot more reference material on the PZ IV. Are my books wrong in saying that there were long barrel Panzer IVs in service in 1942? Sorry for the blurry photo. these are 2 of my books.
IMG_0481.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0479.jpg
    IMG_0479.jpg
    599.5 KB · Views: 6
So I should not have made the statement about this tank being on the Russian front in 1942.
However, according to what I have read and photos that I have seen; there were long barreled Panzer IVs in service in 1942. The F2 version [but the muzzle brake was a different shape] I could not find a cheap model of the F2.

Are my books wrong in saying that there were long barrel Panzer IVs in service in 1942?

You can place your Panzer IVH where ever you want!:001_smile This is modeling; a hobby. You should enjoy it. Honestly, I was a little reluctant to point out the inaccuracy in my first post because I thought you'd take it the wrong way. That's why I called it a minor quibble...

You're right about the F2. It was a stopgap, "quick fix" version of the Pz IV to get a longer, deadlier gun into a main battle tank to achieve parity with the heavier armored vehicles the panzer troops were encountering, particularly the T-34. About 200 were made from March to July 1942. The barrel was the L/43 (caliber length; take 75mm x 43, you'll get a barrel length of 10.5 ft). The barrel length was increased to the L/48 (11.8 ft.) on most of the G run and all of the H and J models. It was the longest gun the Germans could get into the turret without a major redesign of the tank.

You can place your Panzer IVH where ever you want!:001_smile This is modeling; a hobby. You should enjoy it. Honestly, I was a little reluctant to point out the inaccuracy in my first post because I thought you'd take it the wrong way. That's why I called it a minor quibble...

You're right about the F2. It was a stopgap, "quick fix" version of the Pz IV to get a longer, deadlier gun into a main battle tank to achieve parity with the heavier armored vehicles the panzer troops were encountering, particularly the T-34. About 200 were made from March to July 1942. The barrel was the L/43 (caliber length; take 75mm x 43, you'll get a barrel length of 10.5 ft). The barrel length was increased to the L/48 (11.8 ft.) on most of the G run and all of the H and J models. It was the longest gun the Germans could get into the turret without a major redesign of the tank.
What beautiful work! Thanks for sharing.

We built tank models as kids, not nearly so well!

And they did not survive, when as older kids, we reenacted various battles with powerful fireworks....🤔 Yes, I've seen a T-34 blasted to bits and by my own hand.

🧐 Yet I received no Tank Destruction Badge...

AA
Yes, my best friend and I used to light battleship models on fire and send them out on a lake until we got busted by the neighbor.:rolleyes:

You should get back into the hobby! If you do, I can give you some help that may save you time and money if you like. I can even give you my top secret tips for doing great models the easy way. I use the KISS method. [keep it simple stupid] You don't have to spend a ton of money if you don't want to.

I am just happy to meet a fellow tank lover! …….So if I do a diorama of a M1 Abrams tank on the moon fighting "Moon Nazis" manning Tiger and Panther tanks, that would be cool? I'm sorry if I seem a little off today. I think that I may have breathed in to many paint fumes from my latest project. :tank: :letterk1:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
My little girl kitty loves to try and play with her. Gets in a chair, waits for bunny to stand up on her hind legs, and then bops her on the head a few times, no claws out. She only hunts bugs; a totally worthless animal, lol. Cute is her only selling point.

When we first got the long eared rat, Old Big Boy cat we purposely kept away from him, as he NEVER stops hunting. Even in his sleep! Just a minute ago he was dead to the world on his tower. The rabbit started doing what rodents do: chewing on a cardboard box. Boy cat's ears started moving like radar dishes but he never opened his eyes!

He runs away from this long eared rat! Cracks me up. I figure this is his issue: in his world you eat rabbits after a nice fun pounce. In MY world there now lives a piece of food that big boy's dad (me) now pets, talks to, and snuggles occasionally. He has literally looked at me sometimes with his head cocked, like he's stepped into the Twilight Zone! He knows he can't eat this animal, or I'll be upset, but for the life of him, he just can't figure out how I could be so mean/stupid!

I am the most blessed person on B&B. I get paid to sit in my Lazyarseboy and watch my own "Pet Theatre!"

We got our feral rescue at around 7 lbs. Her “gotcha” day was a year back, last month. She is 17 lbs now. Didn’t meow Much at all, until this winter, a year later. There were squeaks and the rare yowl when worried, but only lately does she make much noise leveled at us...

this was earlier on, how she’d chatter at the windows.

here, she’d flipped her mouse into the washer.
AE8AED75-07FE-41E1-AE39-99F9342C7116.jpeg
70968816-42E6-402A-8769-F89B302D0D26.jpeg
E3911EA8-ECE6-49A6-9DE2-98A74A945DFA.jpeg

We got our feral rescue at around 7 lbs. Her “gotcha” day was a year back, last month. She is 17 lbs now. Didn’t meow Much at all, until this winter, a year later. There were squeaks and the rare yowl when worried, but only lately does she make much noise leveled at us...

this was earlier on, how she’d chatter at the windows.

here, she’d flipped her mouse into the washer.
View attachment 1226529View attachment 1226530View attachment 1226531
What a beautiful cat!

Top Bottom