What's new

Synthetic Brush Comparison

I have been impressed with the AP Shave Co synthetic brush guide, but I wonder how many of the well-known inexpensive synthetic brushes compare to these. My synthetic brush experience is with the RazoRock Plissoft & Mühle STF. I agree with the brush guide that the STF is very soft but without any scrub. Is there an unofficial guide or comparison review of the qualities of the most common synthetic brushes on the market? Are many/some of the synthetic knots the same but with different names?

1709682225441.png
1709682238840.png
1709682270436.png

I have been impressed with the AP Shave Co synthetic brush guide, but I wonder how many of the well-known inexpensive synthetic brushes compare to these. My synthetic brush experience is with the RazoRock Plissoft & Mühle STF. I agree with the brush guide that the STF is very soft but without any scrub. Is there an unofficial guide or comparison review of the qualities of the most common synthetic brushes on the market? Are many/some of the synthetic knots the same but with different names?

View attachment 1807375View attachment 1807376View attachment 1807378

I definitely wish there was a comparison guide that included all synthetic brushes. It seems like synthetics don't have the same level of ability to compare one to another that badgers have. Maybe it's just because badgers have been around for so much longer.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I do have cheaper synthetics that seem to have the exact same knot. Certainly part of the problem is finding universal agreement on terms like "scrub." One man's scritch is a nightmare, but is another man's joy.

Scrub doesn't necessarily bring feelings of joy to my mind when thinking of my face, but I'm never 100% sure what someone's definition of the word might be. I should think it's tied to backbone, but most synthetics have such soft tips that scrub doesn't immediately spring to mind.

But if you're looking for information on inexpensive synthetic brushes you're in the right spot - there are lots of shavers here with lots of experience with brushes. My suggestion would be to post something like: I'm looking for a synthetic similar to my XXXX, but with more scrub (and give a price range).

In my collection I think the EVO has the most scrub, for whatever that's worth.

I would have to agree with @musicman1951 on this subject and it looks as though @Feldgrun has the RazoRock Bruce and the STF, though not sure which STF. That being said I have travelled a much different road with synthetics than most as I took the time to study the character of most since switching back in early 2017. I would highly suggest most should learn how to set their own knots and play around with lofts and inner diameters of handles when setting those knots.

Not all synthetics are the same regardless of how much they look like the other, each Mfg'r sets them differently. I particularly like higher lofts as I'm looking for overall softness and ease of splaying most and can't stand a synthetic that you have to damn near have to push through face to get it to splay. Here is a pic of my brushes and breif description. I set all the knots in all brushes except for the Wald.

Brushes.jpg

L-R
Wald Calyx - 27mm A1 hand tied knot by Jannick @Wald Shaving. Very soft with minimal backbone and a pleasue to use, but beware the price!! One of the most expensive synths on the market but imo, well worth the cost.

DC Shaving handle w/ 25mm TurnNShave Angelhair knot. Though similar to the APShaveCo Cashmere it is much softer and has less backbone. Has what I refer to as SOD, Splay on Demand, because it is just so easy to splay. Probably the best brush I have to whip up a lather quickly!!

DC Shaving handle w/ TurnNShave 26mm Timberwolf knot. Very soft and extremely dense with slight backbone knot probably the closest to the famed Wolf Whiskers Timberwolf. Another that has SOD and is like putting a pillow to your face...

DC Shaving handle w/ TurnNShave 26mm Quartermoon knot. Soft tips and slightly skritchy due to having a little more backbone than my others and much different than most tuxedo knots out there and again, on par with the tuxedo's from Wolf Whiskers.

Chisel & Hound handle w/ Muhle 25mm STF knot. I have owned 2 STF knots, one from APShaveCo set in a Shavemac Beehive and this one I set in my C&H handle. I purchased the knot from @Rudy Vey and can say it is a night and day difference from the AP/Shavemac brush. The AP/Shavemac was very stiff, tons of backbone, didn't want to splay even after about 3 months of use, and shed hair every shave out with it. The new one I have in the pic has very soft tips and minimal backbone and has no problem splaying at all, and best of all no shedding. This is probably due to the handle had a 27.5mm opening vs 25-26mm on other offerings and therefore will splay quicker and easier even though they were both set at the same loft. I've been using it in a month long sabatical now so its most used lately.

Speaking of synthetic splay, if you're into one that lays down for you, the Zenith Ergo Resin S10 (26mm @ The Gentle Shave) is a real softy. It has those fine fibers that tangle if not careful, but it lathers beautifully and comes with the classic 502 handle shape.

zeniths10.jpg

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I would have to agree with @musicman1951 on this subject and it looks as though @Feldgrun has the RazoRock Bruce and the STF, though not sure which STF. That being said I have travelled a much different road with synthetics than most as I took the time to study the character of most since switching back in early 2017. I would highly suggest most should learn how to set their own knots and play around with lofts and inner diameters of handles when setting those knots.

Not all synthetics are the same regardless of how much they look like the other, each Mfg'r sets them differently. I particularly like higher lofts as I'm looking for overall softness and ease of splaying most and can't stand a synthetic that you have to damn near have to push through face to get it to splay. Here is a pic of my brushes and breif description. I set all the knots in all brushes except for the Wald.

View attachment 1819052
L-R
Wald Calyx - 27mm A1 hand tied knot by Jannick @Wald Shaving. Very soft with minimal backbone and a pleasue to use, but beware the price!! One of the most expensive synths on the market but imo, well worth the cost.

DC Shaving handle w/ 25mm TurnNShave Angelhair knot. Though similar to the APShaveCo Cashmere it is much softer and has less backbone. Has what I refer to as SOD, Splay on Demand, because it is just so easy to splay. Probably the best brush I have to whip up a lather quickly!!

DC Shaving handle w/ TurnNShave 26mm Timberwolf knot. Very soft and extremely dense with slight backbone knot probably the closest to the famed Wolf Whiskers Timberwolf. Another that has SOD and is like putting a pillow to your face...

DC Shaving handle w/ TurnNShave 26mm Quartermoon knot. Soft tips and slightly skritchy due to having a little more backbone than my others and much different than most tuxedo knots out there and again, on par with the tuxedo's from Wolf Whiskers.

Chisel & Hound handle w/ Muhle 25mm STF knot. I have owned 2 STF knots, one from APShaveCo set in a Shavemac Beehive and this one I set in my C&H handle. I purchased the knot from @Rudy Vey and can say it is a night and day difference from the AP/Shavemac brush. The AP/Shavemac was very stiff, tons of backbone, didn't want to splay even after about 3 months of use, and shed hair every shave out with it. The new one I have in the pic has very soft tips and minimal backbone and has no problem splaying at all, and best of all no shedding. This is probably due to the handle had a 27.5mm opening vs 25-26mm on other offerings and therefore will splay quicker and easier even though they were both set at the same loft. I've been using it in a month long sabatical now so its most used lately.
I'm with you on the ease of the splay - which is the problem I have with the EVO. Great brush, but I can only splay it on my chin.

Thanks to Feldgrun for giving us that guide from AP Shaveco.
I have a couple of brushes and several knots from them and it looks like that guide is accurate. Or at least in line with what I have experienced.
For what it's worth I have re-knotted a couple of my brushes with the G5B knot. For me the G5B is a perfect synthetic choice in that it is able to quickly turn soap in my bowl into a lather, whereas some others are too weak and wimpy, and I'm able to scrub my face with the knot completely splayed out for a fantastic lather application. Also an excellent face latherer and my current fav.

Below is my fav brush with the G5B

full

Last edited:
For what it's worth I have re-knotted a couple of my brushes with the G5B knot. For me the G5B is a perfect synthetic choice in that it is able to quickly turn soap in my bowl into a lather, whereas some others are too weak and wimpy, and I'm able to scrub my face with the knot completely splayed out for a fantastic lather application. Also an excellent face latherer and my current fav.
I'm interested to know how the G5B compares to the Plissoft knot used by RazoRock. They sound similar.

I'm interested to know how the G5B compares to the Plissoft knot used by RazoRock. They sound similar.
I'm not familiar with the Plissoft but here a couple of things I know about the G5B.

When it's dry and you try to smush it out on your hand, it feels stiff and doesn't seem like it would splay at all. But when you get it wet and soapy it splays completely after you apply a moderate amount of pressure. Not a lot of pressure but not weak either. Once you have its splayed out completely. It is a real delight to scrub with and just build that lather ferociously.

The G5B would be a knock off of the Boss knot that was once sold by Wolf Whiskers and TurnNShave still has some in stock. The G5A in a bulb shape would be the closest to the Plissoft knot that RR uses and that is a knock off Plissoft I would point out.

Looks remarkably familiar

And I just watched this video and the kinky fibers look identical to the G5B

View attachment 1821186
Yes it does look just like the G5B but even though IB / RR calls it the Noir Plissoft it doesn't share any true characteristics of the original Plisson Plissoft knot, those are all natural looking natural colored knots to resemble a 2 band badger brush... Still falls in the category of the Boss knot that was released prior to the IB / RR offering.

Plisson Plissoft
1711896181649.png

Boss knot
1711896335267.png

Thanks to Feldgrun for giving us that guide from AP Shaveco.
I have a couple of brushes and several knots from them and it looks like that guide is accurate. Or at least in line with what I have experienced.

Below is my fav brush with the G5B

full
G5B is the fastest lather builder of any brush I've ever used.

I think much of the cost of Brand Name brushes is perception that a certain brand is great because it is old brand, with longevity.

Some people have bought price point brushes, and are happy.

Buy what you like and enjoy using. If money is no object go for what you can afford.

Speaking of synthetic splay, if you're into one that lays down for you, the Zenith Ergo Resin S10 (26mm @ The Gentle Shave) is a real softy. It has those fine fibers that tangle if not careful, but it lathers beautifully and comes with the classic 502 handle shape.

View attachment 1819063
How do you keep it from not tangling? If it tangles, can you get it undone?

How do you keep it from not tangling? If it tangles, can you get it undone?
Tangles can happen when you don't rinse out the knot well enough, so the fine fibers clump. When the knot is dry, run a soft-tooth comb gently through it. With the Zenith, all of this happened during the initial wash; it only needed an occasional comb-through after that. I've heard this also happens with Mother Lode knots because of their even finer fibers.

Top Bottom